Author Topic: Acceleration lag  (Read 9814 times)

clivech

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid 2011
Re: Acceleration lag
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 09:24:56 PM »
Ok, so the potentiometer is on the pedal, and apparently it would show up on the diagnostic if there were a fault with it. They refuse to do anything else until I agree to pay £160 to have the fuel filter changed (recommended at 60,000 miles) so they can eliminate that. But the symptoms don't tally with a blocked or partially blocked filter. It's just too erratic, and it would do it all the time if it were a consistent problem like a filter. So I'm back to guesswork. I can get a pedal with potentiometer on eBay for less than £20 (off a scrapper, apparently tested). But I'm just shooting in the dark.

NewJazzyowner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 Jazz HybridHX-T
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 08:38:42 AM »
I know it’s been a long time but did you sort this problem out in the end? I have exactly the same issue now by the sound of it.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 05:24:59 PM »
The symptoms are familiar ,  I suspect a faulty EGR valve,  other Honda models had the problem of hesitancy prior to  acceleration and the fix being a new EGR valve, often under Honda warranty.
The problem iof hesitancy is most noticeable after coasting with the foot off the accelerator pedal, then applying accelerator.  The EGR has a potentiometer which is read by the ECU,  when the  EGR potentiometer is failing,  the ECU  has difficulty in reading the EGR signal and hesitates  for a second or so before applying power. 

NewJazzyowner

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 11:28:31 PM »
The symptoms in my car is a delay in starting off. I put my foot down to move away and nothing happens for a second or 2, then we jolt off, as if the oil pressure in the gearbox was building before being high enough to move the car forward. Does this sound logical?
Not sure if the same would be caused by the EGR valve?

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 08:07:13 PM »
The symptoms in my car is a delay in starting off. I put my foot down to move away and nothing happens for a second or 2, then we jolt off, as if the oil pressure in the gearbox was building before being high enough to move the car forward. Does this sound logical?
Not sure if the same would be caused by the EGR valve?
If the EGR valve valve has the well-known fault,  it affected not just the Jazz, and was a frequent cause of warranty claims on other models, claims which Honda honoured, the weak part was redesigned PDQ,  you would experience hesitancy on the move,  ie after applying accelerator after a period of foot-off coasting, With the additional description you provide, I tend to  think the EGR is not the culprit, I do recall a magazine article describing the replacement of a defective  Jazz CVT gearbox, the faulty gearbox had a developed a hole in an internal wall of the gearbox casting. Does anyone on the forum know of the source of the article?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:14:18 PM by E27006 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 08:33:42 PM »
The symptoms in my car is a delay in starting off. I put my foot down to move away and nothing happens for a second or 2, then we jolt off, as if the oil pressure in the gearbox was building before being high enough to move the car forward.
Have you checked the level of the gearbox oil?

NewJazzyowner

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 03:24:30 PM »
I do keep an eye on the oil level so don't think its that.

Its coming up to 2 years since I last changed the CVT oil so may drop it out and refill, however thanks to Covid its only been in for just over 9k miles. Is it worth it?

NewJazzyowner

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 03:37:36 PM »
Hi all.

Strange one this but having checked the oil this week I find the level when cold is too high (it’s over the top of the ‘high’ mark, but after a 40 minute run - so the oil was hot the level was correct!

How do I work from this? I initially thought great, the oil level must be too high (cold) so that could be the cause of the problem- but surely it can’t be if the level is correct when it’s hot???

Anyone got any further thoughts please?

I have a new gearbox oil filter and oil to do another change in the hope it might help, but.....

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2021, 03:52:46 PM »
The oil in a gearbox can drain down into the sump when cold, then once the gearbox is running the oil is thrown around the system so can show as lower on the dipstick. My auto Volvo was checked with the engine running, the oil hot, after cycling through the gears several times.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 07:04:38 PM »
What does the sevice procedure say for the oil change, is the CVT gearbox oil level checked when the  oil is hot or cold? When the car has been standing for a period of time to allow settling?  What does the workshop manual say?

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2021, 06:05:43 AM »
Can I assume that during all this time of problems of the lag that the air filter has been changed or at least looked at? I go through about 2 a year. Also the CVT oil does age with time and not just mileage use, so I’d let it drain as much as you could before filling back up to the plug level. When I change my CVT oil it felt better at pulling off.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2021, 08:27:38 AM »
How about a suggestion of the Torque App which runs  run on a mobile phone together with a bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 unit which plugs into the OBD2 socket,  you are looking at £10 for the ELM 327 from Ebay and Torque lite is free.
Torque app can display things such as the EGR operation , trottle position among many other parameters of the car.
Surely worth a trial of Torque for some DIY  self-diagnostics achieve some progress  on this hesitancy problem
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:30:51 AM by E27006 »

NewJazzyowner

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2021, 06:33:24 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the air filter at the same service but will check it. I have an OBD unit for my other car so will look into that as well.

Waiting for some summer weather to do the service - the way things are going I could be waiting a while!!😀

jazzister

• Registered Member
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 09:44:01 PM »
A probably stupid question: if you release the brake pedal and wait for the car to start creeping forward on its own, and then press the brake pedal just a little bit to keep the car from moving forward, and then release the brake and push on the gas pedal, does it then start to move as expected, or still with the same delay?

Tags:

anything