Author Topic: Reserve tank  (Read 22876 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Reserve tank
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »
My warning light came on yesterday. Did about 30 miles from then until I topped up this morning. According to the fuel added and mpg achieved I still had 65 miles left when I filled up today, about 95 miles from the light coming on until totally empty. Not that I am going to test that out!

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2018, 08:05:15 AM »
I have had the light come on usually when on a motorway and not wanting to pay motorway prices.

Put £10 of fuel in, not a full tank and happiness is restored, without emptying the wallet  :D

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »
Getting a bit twitchy now. Only 198 miles to go. I try to discipline myself to let it go down to a 100 by which time I am losing sleep!

Needless to say I've never run out although, in the past, I have had the light come on usually when on a motorway and not wanting to pay motorway prices.

Sods law the time you run low on a motorway is the time there is a huge traffic problem. If I was in that situation (unlikely) I would put in a £10 squirt of fuel to ensure I could get to sensibly priced fuel, if it exists these days!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2018, 11:42:25 AM »
Getting a bit twitchy now. Only 198 miles to go. I try to discipline myself to let it go down to a 100 by which time I am losing sleep!

Needless to say I've never run out although, in the past, I have had the light come on usually when on a motorway and not wanting to pay motorway prices.

Sods law the time you run low on a motorway is the time there is a huge traffic problem. If I was in that situation (unlikely) I would put in a £10 squirt of fuel to ensure I could get to sensibly priced fuel, if it exists these days!

Just watching "A1 Britain's longest road", a guy got a £50 fine for running out of fuel and " Obstructing the carriageway", it was a Friday PM rush hour on a section of road without a hard shoulder and caused a huge tailback. This prompted a Google and it is not uncommon to get fined and if it is a Motorway the charge is "Driving without due care" and it is points on the licence as well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 11:45:33 AM by Skyrider »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
Just watching "A1 Britain's longest road", a guy got a £50 fine for running out of fuel and " Obstructing the carriageway", it was a Friday PM rush hour on a section of road without a hard shoulder and caused a huge tailback. This prompted a Google and it is not uncommon to get fined and if it is a Motorway the charge is "Driving without due care" and it is points on the licence as well.

Too right. There's no excuse for doing something daft like that and inconveniencing everyone else.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
Just to be clear on the motorway thing, I'd never take it to the limit - light on and I'd put a tenner's worth in at the next services.

As I've got older I've become even more conservative. It's a few years since I've had the light come on. I do know people who like the Russian Roulette thing - never understood it myself. Electric car owners are prone to boasting that they got to a charge point in something called Turtle mode!

People who run out and cause the chaos referred to above deserve a hefty fine.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »

Too right. There's no excuse for doing something daft like that and inconveniencing everyone else.

I can't understand why some people enjoy driving around with their low fuel warning on. Refuling a car does not even approach rocket science.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »
I can remember my dad running out of petrol on a couple of occasions, because he had no money to buy petrol until his wages were paid. I am sure that there are people who run their cars like that even today.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »
I can remember my dad running out of petrol on a couple of occasions, because he had no money to buy petrol until his wages were paid. I am sure that there are people who run their cars like that even today.

Fair point. A couple of years ago, a young lady in a little Peugeot spluttered to a halt at the T junction opposite our house. Myself and a neighbour pushed her out of harms way and she told us she was a nursery nurse and a bit skint and was hoping to eke out the last tenner's worth she'd put in until pay day.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »

Fair point. A couple of years ago, a young lady in a little Peugeot spluttered to a halt at the T junction opposite our house. Myself and a neighbour pushed her out of harms way and she told us she was a nursery nurse and a bit skint and was hoping to eke out the last tenner's worth she'd put in until pay day.

I don't think poverty is an excuse for the people posting here who are running a less than three year old MK3 Jazz and also complaining that their £XXX phone won't connect to the car. :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:37:28 PM by Skyrider »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2018, 09:43:16 PM »
LOL

It was quite an old peugeot.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »
I fill up when the light comes unless I'm planning a long trip. I normally get 36 litres in.

The low fuel light on my Fiat Punto Mk2 used to come ridiculously early, just under 1/4 of a tank left. The Fiat Uno I learnt to drive in used to the same. I knew someone who had a 90s Alfa GTV, that used to do the same. Must be an Italian thing.

My cousin got caught out years ago when the fuel light came on his Ford Orion Mk2. Seconds later the car came spluttering to a halt.

guest6935

« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
I was surprised to read the references to the system showing 0 miles.  After the Low Fuel Indicator comes on in our Jazz, it continues to show the estimated distance we could travel on the remaining fuel until this gets down to about 20 miles, when that part of the display disappears.  I noticed the same behaviour in a hired Nissan Versa Note we were returning to the airport in Hawaii (we did make it to the airport OK!)  I assumed the systems are set up like this so that the manufacturers don’t get complaints either that the car ran out of fuel when it still showed 5 miles-worth in the tank, or that it had been driven for another 10 miles without problems after the last of the fuel was reported as having been used.

Can anyone confirm that their Jazz has actually shown 0 or single figures-worth of miles from the remaining fuel?

I don’t always rush to fill the tank as soon as the fuel light comes on, because there are particular occasions when it is most convenient to fill up with good-value fuel.  Also, I think the Jazz has the smallest tank of any car we’ve had in the last 30 years or so (but perhaps not the shortest range).  (I very much appreciate having the remaining range shown, in addition to the warning light which can only show on or off.) 

I think the first car we had with a fuel warning light was our Corolla.  The first time it came on, I put a gallon can of fuel in the boot, and left things until the engine began to stutter, which was about 100 miles after the light came on.  I’ve never repeated that check on subsequent cars.  We now live very close to the M1 and M25, and our journeys often include one of those motorways!

Chris

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2018, 07:03:31 PM »
If you have particular occaisions to fill up why not fill up on those occasions whether the car needs it or not? Something like less than half full + occaision = fill up. No more fule gauge roulette or stress.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:05:42 AM by Skyrider »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2018, 08:37:55 PM »
Is there anything in the view that it's better to keep the tank half full most of the time? I've seen this view on a few American sites including a self styled fuel economy expert "Dr Roadmap." The argument is the saving in having an empty tank, in weight terms, is negligible but by having the tank topped off you avoid evaporation and condensation. Not sure I follow this line of argument but I've heard it expressed more than once.

Tags: