Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 694067 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1245 on: August 01, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »
Driving styles are crucial I feel but then they are for mpg on an ICE car. When I was actively considering an EV (an itch I still have to be honest) I read reams and reams of stuff including forums on speak.ev.com. Typical exchange might be somebody wondering if a 24 kwh Nissan Leaf would do a 50 mile round trip commute in really bad weather. The variations people came up with were staggering you wondered if they were talking about the same car.

I also read a book by a guy called Michael Boxwell about his Nissan Leaf. This contained some real life tests done on a Mk1 (2011 to 2013) and a Mk2 (2013 - 2017). Very useful reading. What they don't like is 70 mph on the motorway!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1246 on: August 01, 2019, 10:07:56 PM »
I'd love to see what range I could get from an electric car. I'll have to ask Jeangenie. She has the new, bigger, Leaf now. I wonder if she would lend it to me for a day!  ::)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1247 on: August 02, 2019, 10:22:15 AM »
I'd love to see what range I could get from an electric car. I'll have to ask Jeangenie. She has the new, bigger, Leaf now. I wonder if she would lend it to me for a day!  ::)

Yes - I'd be interested to see what you can get. My pal gets very good range from his 2014 Nissan Leaf and I've been in the car with him a few times. He makes good use of the regen braking by lifting off in good time before he has to stop. On the motorway he tends to travel at HGV speed. He doesn't tailgate or draft as such though. He loves 50 mph speed limits!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1248 on: August 02, 2019, 11:46:11 AM »
I got picked up by a Leaf taxi this morning (quite a load in Kirkcaldy), and I was quizzing the driver. He said 95% of his driving is in town, and he finds only a marginal difference between summer and winter range. He has had it for three winters now and absolutely loves it. An overnight charge lasts him a whole day's driving (about 100 miles, give or take). He says there has been no deterioration in the battery in the time he has had it. He was wondering about getting the bigger version, but his current "cab" does everything he needs, with virtually no maintenance costs.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1249 on: August 02, 2019, 12:14:53 PM »
More and more taxi firms are using EVs. There's one in Cornwall - C and C Taxis - and they post regularly on Facebook. Last year they "retired" one of their first Leafs called "Wizzy" if memory serves. It had done over 150,000 and had only lost 2 capacity bars.

In the USA, battery degradation is a much bigger issue on the Leaf especially in hot states because there is no active battery temperature management as there is, say, on a Tesla. The UK's climate seems to suit the Nissan Leaf.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1250 on: August 02, 2019, 12:15:54 PM »
I got picked up by a Leaf taxi this morning (quite a load in Kirkcaldy), and I was quizzing the driver. He said 95% of his driving is in town, and he finds only a marginal difference between summer and winter range. He has had it for three winters now and absolutely loves it. An overnight charge lasts him a whole day's driving (about 100 miles, give or take). He says there has been no deterioration in the battery in the time he has had it. He was wondering about getting the bigger version, but his current "cab" does everything he needs, with virtually no maintenance costs.

When battery is new the Nissan algorithm initially restricts amount of battery ( when system accepts it is fully charged at 80% and fully discharged at 30% ) that is used, as the battery goes through more charge and discharge cycles the envelope is increased - this is to allow for expected battery deterioration and maintain range.  This is why an emergency reserve is available because 'empty is not really empty, there is still power in there that you do not have access to in normal usage, because regularly fully discharging the battery damages it ( as fully charging it does ). 100 miles a day for a taxi does not seem much, normal taxis owned by some company normally run at least two shifts a day, sometimes more.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1251 on: August 02, 2019, 01:03:22 PM »
100 miles a day for a taxi does not seem much, normal taxis owned by some company normally run at least two shifts a day, sometimes more.
We are a small town, not a large city. An owner driver can run an electric taxi. An organisation such as the Police, who run their vehicles 24/7, couldn't. Fife council and NHS Fife both have large fleets of EVs as well.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1252 on: August 02, 2019, 03:00:31 PM »
C and C taxis in Cornwall have their own rapid chargers I gather. I know when they retired "Wizzy" they said it had been rapid charged many times.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1253 on: August 07, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »
The past couple of days I have been overtaken by a BMW i8 (it may possible have been the same one). What is strange is to see what, for all intent and purpose, is a Supercar, on such skinny tyres. The cannot be much wider than my Jazz.

Just looked them up. The widest tyre fitted to the i8 are 215.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1254 on: August 07, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »
Email from Honda with the announcement: We’ll be creating hybrid and battery electric cars to achieve 100% of European sales electrified by 2025; underlining our commitment to lowering emissions for a cleaner future. The countdown has started and we look forward to exciting times ahead.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1255 on: August 09, 2019, 01:36:08 PM »
New Peugeot e-208 looks like a well specced and reasonably priced package. Only ever owned one Peugeot. Would never have another!

https://www.zap-map.com/pricing-revealed-for-electric-peugeot-208/

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1256 on: August 09, 2019, 02:36:29 PM »
Just a little snippet on EVs in general and the Nissan Leaf in particular. It looks like tentative steps are being made towards a common charging system (or plug!) and it doesn't include Chademo, the system pioneered by the Leaf. It occurs to me that that is another reason for caution in deciding whether to get an EV at this particular point in time. I speak as somebody who bought a Betamax VCR!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1257 on: August 09, 2019, 03:40:09 PM »
Just a little snippet on EVs in general and the Nissan Leaf in particular. It looks like tentative steps are being made towards a common charging system (or plug!) and it doesn't include Chademo, the system pioneered by the Leaf. It occurs to me that that is another reason for caution in deciding whether to get an EV at this particular point in time. I speak as somebody who bought a Betamax VCR!

Well Betamax was technically well ahead of VHS and IIRC the sound was separate channel and much easier to edit ( the production companies loved betamax and pretty much every professional camera was beta ), but didn't Sony limit the tapes to an hour or something silly like that.  In comparison  VHS was cheap and nasty and just about OK for playing back on a cheaper VHS player, sadly a case of JVC managing to get a critical mass of equipment out into public domain, so JVC won the marketing but just like microsoft with computers - they are not the best....  Didn't Philips also have system called V2000.

Early adopters do get the pain but some just like to be in the forefront, every company starts off with their own systems and try to convince people it will become the standard ( remember the bewildering amount of different phone connectors early on until it basically came down to micro-USB connector ) -  it is not only the BEV connector that needs standardizing but also the voltage and whether AC or DC.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:41:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1258 on: August 09, 2019, 05:17:06 PM »
Good points. I have to say my Betamax VCR was pretty decent and better than the VHS one I eventually bought to replace it because the selection of films in my local video store was so poor.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1259 on: August 09, 2019, 05:42:50 PM »
Well Betamax was technically well ahead of VHS and IIRC the sound was separate channel and much easier to edit ( the production companies loved betamax and pretty much every professional camera was beta ), but didn't Sony limit the tapes to an hour or something silly like that.  In comparison  VHS was cheap and nasty and just about OK for playing back on a cheaper VHS player, sadly a case of JVC managing to get a critical mass of equipment out into public domain, so JVC won the marketing but just like microsoft with computers - they are not the best....  Didn't Philips also have system called V2000.

Philips also had the first cassette system - the N1500 VCR system.

As you say, Sony dropped a clanger with the 1 hour recording at standard speed, but that was only on the US standard models - UK PAL standard Betamax could do 3˝ hours on the later L-830 tapes. Sony's other major boob was their reluctance to license the system to any other manufacturer, while JVC was encouraging as many manufacturers as possible to use their system. By the time Sony relented and allowed other manufacturers in, it was too late.

Tags: