Author Topic: 2010 Honda Jazz EX i-Shift Clutch Worn out at 5200 miles  (Read 10047 times)

guest4903

2010 Honda Jazz EX i-Shift Clutch Worn out at 5200 miles
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:50:30 AM »
About a month ago, I bought a used 4 year old Honda Jazz EX (1st registered - Sep 2010 - 60 plate) privately with about 5200 miles on the clock. Now the car has broken down and the dealer has said that the clutch has worn out. They maintain that it is not a manufacturer fault, but it is because of the way it has been driven.

The car was driven by an old lady, about 1200 miles per year. I am a bit stumped that at 5200 miles an old lady can wear out an automatic gearbox clutch by driving 1200 miles per year.

The dealer has quoted about £650 for the clutch plus the cost of flywheel if necessary. Honda UK have offered me about £100 goodwill discount. Any help or advice on what I should do would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
Re: 2010 Honda Jazz EX i-Shift Clutch Worn out at 5200 miles
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »

Unbelievable really.  Unless you are getting a "story" from dealer, I can only
 think that sitting for long, long periods at traffic lights..........in gear, may have had an effect.

There may have been a fault at manufacture of course. How do they know otherwise without having stripped the parts.  There are not many failures with that I shift at lowish miles.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »
Take it to another Honda dealership for a second opinion.

It doesn't sound right. I had problems with my Civic Type-R and had the clutch replaced under warranty on several ocassions due to a design fault with the clutch release mechanism.

If you are outside warranty, have the work done at an independant garage to save money but make sure they use genuine honda parts. It is usually advised that you have the flywheel replaced to save costs in the long run as it is expensive to take out the gearbox and clutch if you need to replace the flywheel again later. But have someone measure the material thickness on the fly when it is out and see if it is ok to reuse.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »

think that sitting for long, long periods at traffic lights..........in gear, may have had an effect.

There may have been a fault at manufacture of course. How do they know otherwise without having stripped the parts.  There are not many failures with that I shift at lowish miles.

23000 miles and so far so good. I never take it out of gear at traffic lights etc.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

guest516

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »
Just to say
Am  I on borrowed time ??
My i-shift has just clocked 52 thousand miles ::)
Oui-oui

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:29:59 PM »

23000 miles and so far so good. I never take it out of gear at traffic lights etc.

It is ok not taking it out of gear at lights............as long as you apply the handbrake.

culzean

• Approved Member
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
That is very interesting - I have just bought a 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift.
When pushing the car hard up a long steep hill at motorway speeds say in 3rd or 4th at 70mph(ish) there is a distinct clutch smell. Ill have to watch what I am doing in future.
Mine had 7.6k on the clock as a 4 year old vehicle with one old boy owner:)

Bentleymop

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Metallic Deep Purple 1.4 EX
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
Several years ago my parents had a Volvo 440 with a cvt gearbox.
I took it to the dealer for a winter check up ( car ran fine) ,2 hrs later they phoned & said the gearbox was worn out.
I said how can a 3 yr old cvt box with 23000 miles on it fail? It is DESIGNED for town use.
Cost was over £1500 for replacement.
I rang Volvo UK head office & pressed my case,complained,told them I would be taking the story to local & national ( motoring ) press.
End result was they accepted it was not a normal failure & therefore would cover all costs
RESULT :D

If I were you I would keep on ,not only at the dealer you got the car from but Honda UK too.
They don`t want bad publicity ( especially as the new Jazz is on sale soon ),so keep on & on at them.

Mike
If it moves,Funk IT !!!

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:16:17 PM »
Sorry, but could be the original driver, I know someone who on more than car has reduced the clutch to dust in under 5000miles, not on a Honda i-Shift though. He has now seen the (half) light and bought and automatic :o
Glad I have CVT on mine ;D.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 11:42:50 PM »
Several years ago my parents had a Volvo 440 with a cvt gearbox.

Oooh, the patent-infringing or something Transmatic?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 09:50:13 AM »
A low annual mileage can indicate short journeys and LOTS of parking. Ever watched some OAPs parking?  5,000 revs , the engine screaming and the car going nowhere..

I am not saying there is not a manufacturing defect but an old lady who is unsure of her driving and scared of hitting something can burn out clutches easily.

(I write as an OAP...:-)

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 10:18:13 AM »
If you don't feel happy about the initial response - use Twitter to make heartfelt but accurate complaints. This involves finding the right @Honda_UK twitter user and #complaints, or #ripoff_garages.

Tags: