Author Topic: What are your Tires currently?  (Read 15771 times)

guest5901

What are your Tires currently?
« on: February 01, 2016, 10:28:53 AM »
Tried searching for a Tire Thread, just wanna ask your preferences.

What Honda recommends are 185/55/16's for my Jazz GE, but I currently have 195/55/16's from Pirelli which I feel really good and I like the cornering grip. Now, I am planning to replace them all (since they were made around 2013) with Hankook tires, a bit cheaper from the competition.

1. Should I stick to Pirelli's instead or Hankooks are good enough to serve my next question?
2. My main concerns about tires are fuel efficiency, longevity and great cornering. Should I stick with the 195's or go back to the 185's?

Hope to hear your answers :)

Thanx!

guest5355

• Topic Starter
Re: What are your Tires currently?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
I fitted Michelin Energy 185-55-16 in April 2015 to replace the Dunlop's fitted from new, the first thing I noticed was the drop in road noise. The road holding is excellent and the mpg was improved.
OK so they cost a bit more than other brands but it sure is worth it.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:59:14 PM »
Why go away from the tyre size that Honda specify, 195's will be more expensive and make the ride more harsh.
As for cornering ability we are talking about a Jazz here not a Porsche, a Jazz will probably hold the road as well on one tyre as another.
Hankook have got a good name in the trade I believe and sponsor a motor racing championship where Hankook's are the tyre you must use.
The Michelin Energy are very good and are noticeably quiet but do cost a bit more.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »
Not much difference in price between 195 and 185 but more choice with 195 as 185 is a bit of an oddball size, there does seem to be more choice of 185/55 R16 these days than a few years ago though.

Michelin ES are good value because they hold the pressure very well, are very quiet and last very well (and don't seem to suffer from tread cracking).  If they improve your fuel consumption that is a bonus.  Also seem good on snow,  maybe down to their very supple sidewall and high silica content compound (which came from their motorcycle tyres I believe).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 08:43:53 PM »
Another one using Michelin Energys

guest5185

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 11:03:52 PM »
Currently Continentals on the front and Dunlop Fast response on the Rears. Front near the limit and likely to replace with Michelins

guest5715

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:31 AM »
195 55 16 Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance. Ordered through AA. From memory £220 fitted for 4.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »
If you are keeping the car for the foreseeable future, Michelin is the way to go in my opinion.  I got 85,000 miles from the  last set of Agilis on my CR-V

guest5505

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 12:07:40 PM »
Michelin energy too, from Costco so cheaper than likes of quickfit etc. You should stick to the size of tyre specified by Honda otherwise you'll have issues with your insurer

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 03:29:31 PM »
I did post back along about tyres after deciding that the Pirellis were not to my liking, despite all four  having circa 4/5mm I decided to bite the bullet and replace them with Michelins. My only regret was had I waited a few weeks I could have saved quite a bit.
20/02/2015  4 185/55R16 Michelin Energy savers fitted. Quite honestly can't see any wear at all and I would recommend these tyres all day and every day.
Given that the Pirellis used to slip and slide I would steer clear of cheepo's as the Michelins have shown the benefit of good quality tyres.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
From choice I would use Michelin Energy but the car I have just bought has new Dunlop 2030's on it. The Honda dealer fitted them because two were on the limit, one had a puncture in the sidewall so they fitted four new ones.
There's nothing wrong with the Dunlops, perhaps a little noisier than Energy's and time will tell if they suffer from between tread cracking.

Vic.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 05:00:46 PM »
From choice I would use Michelin Energy but the car I have just bought has new Dunlop 2030's on it. The Honda dealer fitted them because two were on the limit, one had a puncture in the sidewall so they fitted four new ones.
There's nothing wrong with the Dunlops, perhaps a little noisier than Energy's and time will tell if they suffer from between tread cracking.

Vic.

4 new tyres were fitted when I bought the Jazz with less than 8k miles on the clock. Unfortunately they fitted the same Dunlop NOISY tires as they replaced.
Second thing to note is that they had to fit new tyres with the existing Dunlops achieving less than 8k miles from new.

So I don't have experience of the Michelin Energy - they do get a warm reception on this forum.
My experience of Dunlops is that they are noisy and I don't like the grip too much either.
As soon as I have an excuse to ditch them, perhaps as a spare - Ill get the Michelin given people's advice herein.

melanogaster81

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »
 Have someone mounted toyo (proxes cf2) or the new bridges tone ep150 both 87H. I have to change mybrear tyres too and I was thinking about this products.... Btw my jazz have the continued premium2 87h in the front and I can not fail them...

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 01:22:24 PM »
Michelin ES, but I have no comparison because these tires were already on when I bought the car in October last year.

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 07:24:33 PM »
Laugh if you like but I fitted upgraded size (reason being they are a more popular size and more importantly cheaper)
195/50R15 (standard size 185/55R15 and does not affect the gearing only 2% discrepancy which is negligible and does not affect speedo reading, I confirmed this with speed reading on tomtom satnav) would you believe Kwik Fit branded
Arrowspeed CP661 which is the exact same tyre as a Nexen CP661 and Nexen is nowadays used as OE (original equipment) on a lot of German small cars, e.g VW Polo and Up and Skoda Fabias. Only cost me £140 for 4 tyres fitted and balanced. Have no complaints of noise or grip so far but saying that I drive my Jazz like how it should be driven!

Tags: