Author Topic: What Car? Group test - Honda Jazz vs Seat Ibiza vs Skoda Fabia  (Read 16985 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: What Car? Group test - Honda Jazz vs Seat Ibiza vs Skoda Fabia
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 07:18:53 PM »
Perhaps the reviewer didn't discover that the Jazz has both a height adjustable driver's seat and an adjustable steering wheel.

I'm surprised by the reported 3,100 prm at 70 mph. My CVT Jazz cruises at no more than 2,200 rpm at that speed and I would have expected that one of the benefits of the 6th speed on the manual gearbox was to drop the cruising rpm. Perhaps the reviewer was in 4th gear while thinking it was 6th gear?

And, like most of the press reviewers, the driver has a heavy right foot which keeps the engine revs in the noisy range. Move to a higher gear, get the revs below 3,000 rpm and the engine noise isn't noticeable.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 07:27:13 PM »
Don't know who worked out (claimed) that although the Fabia had worse fuel consumption than the Jazz it had lower CO2 - I always thought burning of fuel gave off CO2 and the more fuel you burn the higher the CO2 you blow out the exhaust.  The Jazz also had  more power than the others but they said it was harder to drive,  why are these people obsessed with low revs,  are they Dieselophiles ?

Never expect anyone based in Europe to say anything good about a Honda, despite all the evidence that the Jazz will probably have higher reliability and lower running costs than the other in this group.

Strangely enough my 1.8 Civic despite having 6 gears and over 140BHP still revs over 3K at 70mph,  my first Civic 1.5 VTEC with 90BHP and 5 gears only revved at about 2.3K at 70mph,  something strange going on here.

I don't know if this is a coincidence but the What Car test of Honda Tourer, Golf estate and Seat Leon estate the cars came in in exactly same order VW-Seat_Honda - maybe Honda isn't as free with brown envelopes and free holidays as VW group
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:32:33 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 10:09:48 PM »
I cannot stand it when those people who review products get something so wrong.....

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 01:08:36 AM »
wouldn't touch a seat i had one and they are garbage. the worst car i ever owned

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »
I cannot stand it when those people who review products get something so wrong.....

Most road testers dislike CVT gearboxes as they require a different driving style . They have neither the time nor the inclination to try..

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 12:43:20 PM »
And the Jazz should really be compared with the vehicles offering similar external space.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 04:48:16 PM »
wouldn't touch a seat i had one and they are garbage. the worst car i ever owned

I've owned three Seat Ibiza models and was happy with all of them - horses for courses!

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 05:40:54 PM »
Basic chemistry says that carbon-dioxide emissions are proportional to fuel consumption.  I suspect What Car is quoting official emission figures, but test experience fuel consumption.  Unless of course it's another VW "special" test!

guest4326

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 07:46:32 AM »
What Car is useless. You only have to browse the reader reviews on their own website to see how worthless the magazine's reviews have been to many folks.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
What Car has never been a huge fan of the Jazz, it was the only publication that didn't like the Mk1 when it came out in 2002. Funny how a consumer orientated publication like What Car is usually more negative towards the Jazz (and Honda's in general) than more enthusiasts' magazines are like Autocar and Car.

To put the Jazz behind the ageing Seat Ibiza is incredible.

Tags: reviews 

anything