Author Topic: Fitting drls  (Read 4146 times)

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Fitting drls
« on: June 21, 2015, 11:14:31 AM »
I've bought some of these DRLs and am now starting to wonder how to fit them to the car
I am intending on having them on all the time then when other lights come on these ones would then dim
Is this going to be difficult as there's only the two wires compared to others which include dimming stuff

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:19:40 AM by harry22673 »

melanogaster81

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX
Re: Fitting drls
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 04:50:06 PM »
in JAzz model, will you fitting them?

guest4324

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 07:47:44 PM »
Hi,
 First of all you normally need some sort of controller because the drls need to recognise via current flow that you've switched on the lights. You can find them on eBay. Secondly by EU law there are two possibilities. Either they come on when you start the engine and switch off as soon as you switch on sidelights, in a kit such as I have (Philips daylight 4 which includes controller) one wire taps into the sidelight wire. Other way is that they dim when you switch on headlights. However, it is not allowed to have drls AND sidelights together. You have to disable the cars sidelights by removing the bulbs. On another post a few weeks ago I attached the link to the EU law. It is also not allowed to have them at full brightness at night. What you also need is the EU approved R48 marking on the light otherwise they are not EU conform and therefore illegal, which most "cheap" drls don't have. I'll try to find the other post I made.
 It maybe sounds a bit over the top and some will say who cares if they're not EU conform, but bear in mind if you have an accident and the insurance company find out they will not pay out as you've "modified" your car!

guest4324

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »
http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r48r6e.pdf

This is the link which shows the law for all lighting. Page 72 is for drls.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »
Depends how bright they are,  proper DRL's are too bright to have on at night and you wouldn't want them on if you decided to leave the car parked with sidelights on.  I fitted some 'extra sidelights' (a strip similar to yours, made by Ring) to my previous Jazz in about 2009. The were bright enough to be noticeable in dull conditions when I didn't necessarily want to put dipped beam on, but not bright enough to be a bother to others at night (unlike some idiots who seem to think it's OK to drive around with front fogs on all the time).  I never had a problem come MOT time and all in all felt they were a useful extra light to have instead of just the tiny bulb in the sidelight.

if you want to make yours more legal you could have a feed from a live that comes on when ignition is turned on (such as feed to cigarette lighter socket, remember to fit an in-line 5 amp fuse to supply your DRL's ) and buy a 12 volt relay with plug on tags (from Halfords or Maplin),  wire the feed to DRL's through a normally closed relay pole and wire the coil of the relay to your sidelight bulb (earth the other side of relay coil), when the power comes on to sidelight bulb the relay will energise, this will open the Normally closed contact and remove power from DRL's.  As the sidelights stay on even with headlights on this will mean that DRL's will not come on with headlights.   If you want to be a bit more compliant, put a suitable resistor across the normally closed pole so that when it opens the resistor will supply reduced power to the DRL's and dim them.

If you use feed from cigarette lighter fuse your sidelights will work as normal, without DRL's coming on unless your key is in the ignition and turned to 'ACC' position.  On some newer cars power may be on the 'AUX power' socket all the time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:51:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »
I have just had a reminder from the dealer I bought our Jazz from, re service and MOT which  included a flyer.

Special Offer:

LED Daytime running lights Just £299.95

Nowhere does it say fitted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we must presume nothing these days.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »
I have just had a reminder from the dealer I bought our Jazz from, re service and MOT which  included a flyer.

Special Offer:

LED Daytime running lights Just £299.95

Nowhere does it say fitted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we must presume nothing these days.

JUST £300 lol, why would you want them as they are on the MOT if you got a plus 11 plate car so something else to be checked on the mot  glad i missed them on my car

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »
I was speaking to this trader at local Motorhome show this weekend. The goods he sells look like good quality - I bought rear stop / tail 5W / 21W Cree LED bulb for my motorbike - it's aluminium bodied with fins, very well made and superbright.

He has a couple of DRL kits where the light unit is self adhesive,  and comes with fused spur and control box.

http://www.ledbulbs4u.co.uk/product-category/exterior_accessories/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: