Author Topic: rear pads  (Read 1060 times)

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
rear pads
« on: May 07, 2023, 06:07:11 PM »
hi guys, need to replace the rear pads on the 2018 Sport , down to metal , not even an advisory on a recent MOT at the Honda dealer.

Looks an easy job but my old VW piston wind back tool is the wrong fitting for the Honda ! Has anyone replaced the pads and can remember whether they wind in clockwise or anticlockwise , I'll probably purchase one of those cheap kits unless someone has a link to a Honda specific one.

Also any recommendations for make of pads ?

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: rear pads
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 06:09:53 PM »
hi guys, need to replace the rear pads on the 2018 Sport , down to metal , not even an advisory on a recent MOT at the Honda dealer.

Looks an easy job but my old VW piston wind back tool is the wrong fitting for the Honda ! Has anyone replaced the pads and can remember whether they wind in clockwise or anticlockwise , I'll probably purchase one of those cheap kits unless someone has a link to a Honda specific one.

Can I ask at what mileage do they need changing?

pebbles

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 06:43:55 PM »

Can I ask at what mileage do they need changing?

not sure but I do know they should be checked on an annual service or even the Mot.
Mines done 34.5 K so I guess they have lasted well

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 06:49:58 PM »

As far as I can rembember, it's clockwise, the tool I bought for the Clio was ok also for Jazz.
I replaced both front and rear pads in the same moment, they all were quite at the metal: pay attention to the brake liquid reservoire, with all brake piston retracted the liquid will overflow, so change rear pads then press the pedal to place pistons in position then start with the front calipers.
All my pads lasted 38000miles.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 08:47:09 AM by jazzaro »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 09:36:45 PM »
My Mk1 Jazz did 62,500 miles and never needed the pads replaced. And who knows how many miles they had already done before I got the car.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 04:59:48 AM »
2002 to 2008 Jazz, If the MoT tester writes an advisory for rear disc brakepads worn - need replacing , remove the rear wheels and check for yourself.  With the wheels in place, the pads are hidden from view due to the deep dishing of the Jazz wheels. A proper visual  check involves taking off the wheel. Had such a  bogus advisory several MoTs ago, the wheel-off visual check revealed  the pads were barely worn, still have the new set of pads in their box awaiting the day of Armageddon.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 09:54:22 AM »
I had a 2016, MK3 auto, about a year ago, and I changed my rear pads.

I am not overly mechanically minded, but I found a number of YouTube clips, which were really helpful.

I found it quite simple, to wind in the pistons, with a 6 inch bar, placed in the slot of the piston. Clockwise!

I changed the pads not because they were worn, but because the handbrake was never very effective.

Take the opportunity to grease the pins at this time.

After the new pads had bedded in, I still did not find the handbrake very effective, but OK for the MOT.

I am on a MK4 Jazz now, and with a five-year servicing plan in place, it’s not a job I will have to do in the future, as I will sell it in 4 years time!

😉

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 12:22:10 PM »
You cant equate pad wear to mileage.  Motorway miles,town driving, 'enthusiastic' driving all produce different results. As will different drivers.

I think service mechanics and mot testers measure the thickness of the pad and compare it with a specification chart.  Which tend to err on the side of caution.  Some may be a bit lazy and just do a visual check and its  fair enough when dealing with multiple makes of car.    But I find that brake pads tend to be dipped in a protective coating/paint for the metal backing, which often extends partly up the lining material. If the painted area of the lining material almost reaches the disc  this might be misinterpreted as well worn lining.  Conversely if all of the remaining lining material is painted  it may disguise the fact  they are nearly worn out  - although that mechanic should be ashamed.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 07:13:38 PM »
My next-door neighbour, when I was in Fife, took his 7 series BMW to the local BMW dealer for a full service. His wife picked it up and on the six-mile drive home, it started screeching. As soon as she reached home she phoned my son-in-law who popped in on his way home from work. The front brake pads were worn right down. So much for dealer servicing.

pebbles

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 03:34:51 PM »
all done , thanks for the advice guys.

Modified my VW wind back tool but not really needed as screwed in clockwise  easily  with an old tyre lever !

Spent a while wire brushing as quite corroded in places

removed and lubricated the guides with silicone based brake lub. , refitted bolts and torqued  to 23 Nm with a little Loctite ( non permanent ).

Fitted with Pagid pads from ECP , £28.

Good tip , undo the bracket holding the brake flexy hose 1/2 way along , gives more movement without stretching the hose.

excellent youtube video

Tags: