Author Topic: No RDS? and a few infotainment questions  (Read 2633 times)

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Re: No RDS? and a few infotainment questions
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2022, 10:51:49 AM »
If the Jazz Sat Nav doesn't have Traffic Info how do you guys become aware of jams - radio, google maps, waze?

...Many many red lights up ahead  ;D

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 02:59:03 PM »
Wireless Android Auto/Google Maps for me.
Ditto.
Neil Ives

jjrosaria

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2022 EHEV
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 07:29:09 PM »
Yeah, navigation wise we always use carplay and Google maps. Navigation and traffic has been excellent! I am just a little annoyed that navigation is not even installed on our Jazz. Traffic or not on the built in Garmin, it's just always have a back up when we are sometimes in Rural places that has no phone reception.

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2022, 07:46:16 PM »
Hi,
navigation-wise my wife and I use paper maps for our NZ navigation - I'm usually the passenger and navigator. NZ is not a big country and has only 1 major city Auckland for which we have a 2021 map.
For traffic jams the same scale applies - warnings come via local FM radio stations and motorways/major roads in our 5 largest cities via Google map overlays in the NZ Transport Authority website.
Online maps are available via Google Maps or Apple Maps but these are not always correct - Apple Maps believes our dead end street we live on has 2 open ends because one end has a walkway.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2022, 11:30:16 PM »
Apple Maps believes our dead end street we live on has 2 open ends because one end has a walkway.

Sounds like an improvement on what it was like a few years ago.  ;D

jjrosaria

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2022 EHEV
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2022, 04:26:54 AM »
Hi,
navigation-wise my wife and I use paper maps for our NZ navigation - I'm usually the passenger and navigator. NZ is not a big country and has only 1 major city Auckland for which we have a 2021 map.
For traffic jams the same scale applies - warnings come via local FM radio stations and motorways/major roads in our 5 largest cities via Google map overlays in the NZ Transport Authority website.
Online maps are available via Google Maps or Apple Maps but these are not always correct - Apple Maps believes our dead end street we live on has 2 open ends because one end has a walkway.

Hi Paul, since you're also from NZ. Are you able to confirm that your FM radio also does not show the name of the current station? I.e, does it just show the frequency and not ZM, The Rock, etc etc?

Cheers!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2022, 08:18:16 AM »
My knowledge of driving in NZ is limited to watching the Brokenwood mysteries, ;D   and  my Knowledge of using google maps   on the move is not much better.   But I believe you can download  google maps onto your smartphone  to use off line in areas without  a phone signal  (or in my case  too mean to pay for mobile data)    It does require some preplanning prior to the trip,. I did try once to download a largeish area of Europe in this way   but it wasnt really practical due to overlap issues but might be possible with some perseverance.   But I believe if you have a trip calculated  it will download the necessary maps  for that route, but not far beyond it either side if you divert off the route. 

And without Data you wont get any traffic updates etc.    But how common are these in areas without a mobile signal.   " Did Kiwi on the road 10km ahead"   (  Sorry guys no offence intended)     

But it must be really annoying having to find work rounds for stuff that should already be there. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2022, 09:56:44 AM »
... I believe you can download  google maps onto your smartphone  to use off line in areas without  a phone signal ... It does require some preplanning prior to the trip ...

Correct. I did a fabulous road trip around NZ pre-pandemic using Google maps all the way, including some remote areas of fjordland. Downloaded the whole country as offline maps beforehand, no problems even when no signal. At that time my phone provider also did free roaming, so got traffic data as well when in signal range (not that there was much traffic by UK standards).

RustyK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe 2022
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2022, 07:46:08 PM »
Hi,
I'm also in NZ. Just picked up my Jazz yesterday and can confirm that there is no RDS on my system either!
The manual states that it is not fitted to all models.  My MK3 Jazz had RDS on its Pioneer unit.
Cheers.

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2022, 07:02:34 PM »
Hi,
I'm in NZ and can confirm there is no RDS on the FM radio app. The annoying thing is that the instructions in the owner's manual for tuning the radio by hand are for a different radio app to what is actually installed in the infotainment unit.

Tags: