Author Topic: Cold weather check tyres  (Read 1279 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Cold weather check tyres
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 09:21:07 AM »
The mk 4 (and possibly other earlier jazz) has indirect tyre pressure monitoring.  It does not receive tyre pressure signals from the tyres.    It just monitors how fast the wheels are rotating compared to the other wheels .It 'learns' what is normal.  If one tyre loses pressure it will have a smaller overall rolling diameter diameter than it had before  and will rotate faster than the other three.  (or slower if you overinflate one)   

If all four tyres  gain or lose the same amount of pressure  due to temperature difference they will still be rotating at the same  relative speed to each other and wont trigger a warning.  So its still important to check your tyre pressures from time to time as all tyres lose some air   over a long period.  You may find that all four tyres are  underinflated by a similar amount and the system none the wiser. 

The sytem may activate if you top up tyre pressures  but not as equally as it was before..  Or you fit one or two new tyres  that have a slightly different rolling  circumference to the ones you took off (They probably will . Due  to more tread depth , different brand etc)  In which case the sytem will need to be reset so it learns the new normal.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Cold weather check tyres
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 09:52:13 AM »
Correct, all 4 corners had lost exactly 2 psi so no TPMS trigger
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: