Author Topic: Battery life and folded seats  (Read 2562 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Battery life and folded seats
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2022, 03:41:07 AM »
From memory, there were stories about rear battery BMWs catching fire after a rear shunt but that was due to a pathetically underpowered and badly designed ribbon cable.
Let's be careful out there !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2022, 08:38:31 AM »
Are you referring to a battery self igniting? I was asking about a battery fire caused by a serious rear-end collision.
The battery is set well forwards of the rear bumper and crumple zone, hence the cubby hole under the boot floor to utilise some otherwise wasted space. However, I suspect a straight-on rear end collision isn't the worst case. Getting hit by the corner of a vehicle at 45 degrees could be worse in terms of impact damage.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2022, 02:36:24 PM »
If my car suffered a rear end shunt severe enough to damage the battery I wouldnt want it back anyway .   At least you are less likely to be trapped in the car in a rear end shunt,  (and its less likely to be your fault   ;) )

EV battery fires can be quite hard to extinguish . I've even heard of them having to dig a hole and bury the whole car  :o )   

When I first learned the Jazz has its  petrol tank under the front seats  I was initially a bit concerned having a petrol bomb under my bum rather than just behind me.  I dont suppose it makes much difference. (My 1931 Austin 7 had its petrol tank under the bonnet, practically in my lap. ) .  But at least its further from the HV battery, and  still within the passenger protection zone.  I dont think cars catching fire after a crash is as common as stunts in movies suggests.   
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 02:40:05 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2022, 04:45:03 PM »
My 1931 Austin 7 had its petrol tank under the bonnet, practically in my lap.
I know about the petrol tank under the bonnet;  this was my first car. I restored it over many years and sold it 10 years ago. It's a 1929 Austin Seven 'Chummy'.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 04:47:39 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

BROC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY24 ZR-V Advance
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2022, 04:48:52 PM »
I used to have an old Series 3 Landrover Airportable, the twin petrol tanks were under the front seats and they leaked petrol as you went round corners.  There was little protection from side impact......

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2022, 05:36:40 PM »
Gas tank in your lap? Millions of people have driven around with it.

Volkswagen beetle:
If nothing goes right, go left!

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2022, 11:02:55 PM »
Gas tank in your lap? Millions of people have driven around with it.

Volkswagen beetle:
Looks like someone has stolen the engine 🤔
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2022, 09:26:26 AM »
I doesnt mean the health and safety standards of yesteryear were a good thing.  Uk road  deaths in 1931 were 6691  ,in 2012 (the last year  on the outdated  chart I happened to find ) they were  1754  .   
about 7000 pa was typical  throughout the 1960's and  70's. 

Here is the chart   https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN02198/SN02198.pdf

This despite far fewer cars.   in the 1930's the arrival of a 'horseless carriage', may still be unexpected by pedestrians. Also less safe roads and less advanced medical treatment are  a factor,  but I think it was mostly the shortcomings of the car.  (and drivers  - I can still recall some old codgers who had never passed a driving test.Not needed to obtain for a full driving  licence in the 1930's  (and relaxed during WW2 I believe)  and  also quite a few  who drove 3 wheeled cars on a motorbike licence  . A friend my own age (teenage -then  ) did the same , He  bought a 3 wheeled Reliant.  He  rolled it  on the first day  :o. The same  lad had such a poor record on motorbikes he couldnt get insurance for anything bigger than 50 cc.  So he bought a race tuned 50cc  garelli capable of 100  mph! IIRC it had vestige pedals that made it legally a moped.    He is still alive. Many lads my age bought  Yamaha FS1E Mopeds (Fizzies, )  which could at times exceed 60 mph.      The first motor vehicle I owned  was  Honda C50. It had no pedals so it was legally a motorbike,not a moped.  It meant  I was able to use it to pass my full motorbike test just a few weeks after my 16th birthday.  :P   And it wasnt that long after I was riding a 750cc Honda.   Crazy times.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:39:26 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2022, 10:02:47 AM »
Don't forget to compare modern hydraulic all round disks compared to drum brakes on pre-stretched cables.

Crumple zones

Seat belts

Air bags
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2022, 10:16:45 AM »
Re old time cars: Just think about the rigid steering column starting near the front of the car running up inside the car and pointing at the drivers chest;  also, no seatbelt and laminated glass windscreens;  also, poorly gripping crossply tyres, often with remoulded treads;  also cable operated 'brakes'.

When I was a nipper I used to see cars with canvas showing in the tyres.

Mind you, the good driver needed to be aware of all these risks and had to drive within the capabilities of the vehicle as well as themselves. It could be argued that the move to automating driving allows the driver to be complacent.

My 1929 Austin Seven has a three speed gearbox with no syncromesh. It has no indicators. It has brakes on all four wheels * but they are not linked;  foot pedal operates rear brakes, handbrake operates the front brakes.
This is the procedure for making a right hand turn, (driving on the left in the UK), in my Austin:
Take foot off the gas. Check rear view mirror. Stick right arm out of window to signal intention while decelerating. Bring right hand in and hold steering wheel. Apply foot brake, (rear brakes only). When speed has dropped to about 20mph double-declutch ** into second using left hand. Left hand back on the wheel. Check rear view mirror again. Stick right arm out into the breeze while applying the foot brake. Bring right hand in to hold the wheel, left hand on the handbrake to aid speed reduction. Check rear view mirror. Stick right hand out again, put both hands on the wheel to make the turn. Accelerate. Double-declutch back into third. Make progress. Car was easily good for 50mph.

* When the A7 first appeared in 1923 many cars had only rear wheel brakes as it was considered unsafe to put brakes on the front wheels.

**https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutching_(technique)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 01:27:05 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2022, 02:11:47 PM »
When the A7 first appeared in 1923 many cars had only rear wheel brakes as it was considered unsafe to put brakes on the front wheels.
Just in case you went over the handlebars?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2022, 02:51:08 PM »
I think my 1931 Austin 7 RN saloon had coupled brakes. Ie footbrake worked all 4 wheels, handbrake worked all 4 wheels. By cables of course. (But not very well.Frankly the brakes were poor.    Herbert Austin tried to make a virtue  of this by saying good drivers dont need good brakes  - Partly true. The A7 certainly honed my anticipation and hazard awareness skills)   Its possible mine was modified,  but I dont think so    .. (spares part sellers list two types of handbrake ratchet , uncoupled 1923 -1930 and coupled 1930 - 1939.  )   

Sorry guys I know an Austin 7 is not a Honda.   , Unlike Datsun whos first car was a pirate rip off copy of the A7.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2022, 03:48:14 PM »
When the A7 first appeared in 1923 many cars had only rear wheel brakes as it was considered unsafe to put brakes on the front wheels.
Just in case you went over the handlebars?
Cars were potently powerful by 1923, take this 3 ltr Bentley for example. Note, no front brakes.

And this Rolls Royce from 1923, also no front brakes
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 03:51:05 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Tags: