Author Topic: You are not going to believe this  (Read 8068 times)

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
You are not going to believe this
« on: September 20, 2022, 09:47:48 AM »
My local Honda dealer phoned me on Sunday and offered me more than I paid for my car if I buy a new one. I think I would be daft to turn it down ?????

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
Re: You are not going to believe this
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 09:58:51 AM »
My local Honda dealer phoned me on Sunday and offered me more than I paid for my car if I buy a new one. I think I would be daft to turn it down ?????
Depends on what they're asking for a new one

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 10:16:59 AM »
It's all about the cost of change, why bother when you can wait for new 23 offers.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 11:58:28 AM »
I wonder if there's a downside/catch ? Sales figures.

Makes no sense !
Let's be careful out there !

Jeff15

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 12:12:50 PM »
The registration year does not bother me, I use a private plate. All they want is 2500 which includes the free servicing, mats, and the fitting of my dashcam.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 01:04:57 PM »
I'd have to think twice because if things go according to plan this could be my last car as I won't need one when I move in a couple of years.
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 03:00:18 PM »
I've had my car a year and now cars like mine, the same reg and higher mileage are being advertised for 20% more than I paid, but no point in selling as I'd have to buy another at the new inflated price.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 04:11:01 PM »
I recently had a Dealer invite to the new Civic launch. So I thought why not, be an interesting comparison so went along and did the test drive. Same transmission and engine setup as the Jazz, hence the interest. More powerful of course but same sort of feel on the throttle response. Less wind noise but similar road noise to my Crosstar. Much bigger externally and much lower seating position.

Anyway, after the drive sat down for the “chat” and was effectively offered as P/Ex for my car what I paid for it 14 months ago. Tempting? I think I am very happy with my Crosstar so will not be changing.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:51:10 AM »
I've never fully understood the pricing policies that have been around for years such as pre registering cars, and used car prices are also crazy at the moment due to shortages.

To this we can now add the effects of 10% inflation and the £  losing value against various currencies.

A car bought a year ago with good money  may still be worth a similar number of £'s  but its now bad money. A new replacement, if available , will either be a less desirable car which they cant shift  (maybe another make they also sell  )  or it will be proportionately more expensive. If not why dont they  just sell the new cars instead?

There is truth in the adages  that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and if something looks too good  to be true it probably isn't.

The dealer may offer a better price or a good cost to change  , if for instance  it means they have firm orders for new Hondas, with a deposit, that allows them to pre order more from Honda at todays prices ,and then sell them at tomorrows prices. Or persuade Honda to allocate more of their production to the UK. And maybe they know something about impending prices that we dont. 

It could be a shrewd move,  but there are lots of potential pitfalls to consider. 
I would want to know more about how they can do this deal  ,but the dealer is quite likely to offer a dumbed down version, that could be economical with the truth.   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 09:59:34 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 10:05:16 AM »
I recently had a Dealer invite to the new Civic launch. So I thought why not,

My dealer did the same thing, but I don't think he has his Civic 'Showroom car' yet.
He knows I am not going to get rid if my HR-V HEV, but I shall still go along and have a look and a drive, just out of interest. I can 'fall' into a Civic but I'd need an engine crane to get me out, with my back and knees!
I'm waiting for the HR-V PHEV (different name but basically an HR-V) due late 22 early 23.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Pogglefish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda HR-V Adv. Style in Sand Khaki
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 11:18:30 AM »
A year ago when I bought my current Jazz I was very surprised to be offered £14.5k for my old one (a 3 year old Mk3 auto that had only cost £19k new). I had assumed they were just over-offering to make the sale but I then saw they’d advertised it for £17k!

A couple of weeks back when my Jazz was in for servicing I asked the sales agent what it went for. They told me they got the full £17k and then wondered if I might be in the market for an HRV as they could pretty much offer me a “no depreciation” price on mine.

I declined, I don’t need a bigger car, but I did ask why such a high offer. They said that, with new cars, the issue not so much supply of cars but the supply of customers with enough money or good enough credit to buy them. However with used cars they are desperate; demand is through the roof and supply has fallen off a cliff as people hang on to their cars; therefore they are running out of inventory.

I told them to call me again when they have a new Jazz to offer.

-Pogglefish

Jeff15

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 12:58:00 PM »
I have taken their offer, there are too many white cars on our road so I have gone for midnight blue.

mitchelln

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 03:10:05 PM »
Now you just have to wait 3 months!

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 05:58:15 PM »
Just as a follow on to all the above interesting comments, after my Civic test drive I was told they desperately wanted used car stock, hence the offer for my Crosstar. Apparently Honda has imported a sufficient stock of new Civics, to coincide with the launch, so that delivery would be very quick.

One last comment and then I will cease to post about my Civic test drive. The real sales challenge for Honda U.K.  is the electric Honda E. As the salesman said to me, who wants to pay £37K for a small car with a range of only 120 miles? Not many, is the answer.

Pogglefish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda HR-V Adv. Style in Sand Khaki
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 09:14:10 PM »
Quite. If the E had a 300 mile range I would buy one tomorrow, but 120 miles makes it useful only as a secondary car and I neither need nor want two cars in my life at the same time.

- Pogglefish
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 09:17:50 PM by Pogglefish »

Tags:

anything