Poll

Whats your reaction on learning that Honda dealership service center doesnt use  Honda Genunine Engine oil

I dont mind
I mind but dont dont have time to take it further
I mind and i will take it forward

Author Topic: Honda dealer in UK doesnt use Genuine Honda Oil  (Read 2098 times)

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Honda dealer in UK doesnt use Genuine Honda Oil
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 01:29:39 PM »
Similarly, Walkers also make crisps for various supermarket brands, as was highlighted when their computer control systems failed last year, causing supply shortages.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2022, 04:20:28 PM »
Although personally, I don't have a problem with using another branded engine oil in my car as long as it's of equivalent quality but the reason I take my car to Honda to have a service is for the peace of mind through knowing that the Honda mechanics will do things by the book, using parts and consumables as recommended by Honda. This is something I'm happy to pay a little extra for.

However, I have an old FRV which I just take to a local independent garage who uses Shell oil and other OEM quality parts for servicing which has been just as good except they don't change nearly as much as Honda.

If Honda are charging that extra premium for an oil service, they ought to give you Honda branded oil, it's what you paid for, whether or not Morris oils are as good as Honda is irrelevant. What's stopping them putting ASDA's own branded oil in your car and telling you that it's just as good as Honda's oil?

I would be curious to find out what it says on the receipt, does it say Honda oil? If they charged you the price for Honda's oil (can check with their parts dept) and then put Morris oil in, I would take it up with them. 

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2022, 09:16:54 AM »
You can be pretty much confident Honda will use the correct specification oil, even if its its not branded as Honda.   They will have oil drums full of it.         When I looked for the correct 0w20 oil for my mk 4  (of the the correct specification  not just any old 0w20 ) I found it easy enough to find,but not available everywhere, and more expensive than similar oils in more common use.   
 (I only wanted a litre just in case I ever  needed to top up  -I havnt needed to.  I bought Millers oil. )

Independent garages will have drums full of similar oil . Some may be tempted to use that rather than take the trouble of sourcing a less common and more expensive oil.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

charles yates

• Approved Member
  • reformed derver
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2018 1.3 jazz se
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2022, 09:59:10 AM »
Morris's are good quality oils. I use Morris single grade 40 in my classic motorbike.

The matter of Honda dealers not using Honda branded oils is surprising but almost certainly down to the exhorbitant price of manufacturers branded oils. I found this out with our previous car, a BMW One Series, (Mini Cooper S in disguise) when I asked the official BMW dealership to carry out an early oil change for me when our car had covered its first 1000 miles. I was quoted £250! I did the oil and filter change myself with non BMW branded equivalent Mobil oil and saved loads-a-money.
Honda dont make oil just great vehicles the oil side is left to oil companies Morris is a well known company that have been producing good spec oils for years just like castrol ,i use exol optima 0/20 and 0/30 in both our Mk 3 and Mk 2 jazz without problem and have been for a long time its  quality is great

Tags: