Author Topic: Tyres for a Jazz that's mostly parked  (Read 2561 times)

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: Tyres for a Jazz that's mostly parked
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 01:21:00 PM »
In your mums situation a big  factor is how much they may deteriorate with age due to UV damage.   This can cause cracking to side walls and in the tread area. Not only dangerous but a possible MOT failure.   With a higher annual mileage the tread depth normally wears down before this becomes too much of a problem but your mum could potentially have 10 year old tyres with enough tread left for a further 10 years.   And the next owner may not realise what they are getting. 

Based on my experience I do not agree. Of course the compound is ageing and degrading the performance, but if there is enough tread and no deep cracks on tread it is perfectly suitable and safe for use for 20 years. Risk of blowout is negligible in steel belted radial tubeless tyres. In my opinion 20 year old Michelin or Goodyear is better and safer tyre than a new Chinese cheap c..p tyre.

I have driven many sets of tyres over 25 years old and the end of life damage has always been belt damage causing bulge on tread. And that's very easy to feel on steering wheel at low speed.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 03:45:25 PM »
mytyres website, sell the tyres in the size  185/60/R15 for your Jazz, 
Disregarding those budget Chinese brands which are very cheap (best avoided).
There are several well-known brands in the £50 to £60 price bracket, names such as Toyo, Avon, Barum. 
Avon is a famous name,.  OEM for Rolls-Royce cars, motorcycles  and aviation tyres, Toyo are Japanese,  Barum is owned by one of the big names, Continental,  I'd be happy to drive a Jazz with such tyres from those names
A reasonable choice from well known names, I have used mytyres for several years,  12  tyres in total,  I'm a satisfied customer.
Goodyear Efficientgrip at £72 are OEM tyres on a Vauxhall Astra I had from new, had a set installed on my Dsi Jazz , no issues with fuel efficiency or wet weather grip to report.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 03:51:16 PM by E27006 »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 11:12:02 PM »
Bearing in mind new tyres can be upto 5yrs old....."Tyres are considered to be ‘new’ and are suitable for retail sale for, up to 5 years from the original date of production " age is not such a concern.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

Any update on the decision following all the advice OP?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2022, 11:25:29 AM »
You cant assume that chinese  made tyres are always bad and known brands always good. .  Some well known ,and well respected ,tyre brands have produced some fairly  poor tyres.( I hated my Pirellis )  And  some  little known brands  can be surprisingly good. They may be much better known and respected in other countries, being sold at a reduced price to break into the uk market. 

Many top brands also own one or more  'budget brands that are made in the same factory. To what extent do they deliberately make the budget brand an inferior quality  ,  and how much is them hiking the price of the 'premium' brand just because they can.   

Also well known brands  may be  associated with a particular country with a good reputation yet  actually made somewhere with issues  ,such as China.   The same brand and tyre model may be produced in several different countries, depending on where that particular stock is sourced.   

Recently I saw some tyres for sale on a rack  "Berlin tires - German engineering"     The tyre wall clearly shows they are made in China.  This fact is photoshopped out on photos on their web site ,which gives little information about themselves  beyond having a registered office in Germany.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 01:38:05 PM »
You cant assume that chinese  made tyres are always bad and known brands always good.
I would agree with that. My bike, Honda CBF1000, is very happy on Taiwanese made Maxxis tyres. Way more sticky than the Bridgestones it came fitted with. That said, I only ride in the dry, so they may not be the best if you ride all year round. Oh, and the wear rate isn't great, I can get less than 3000 miles out of the rear with a bit of effort!!  ;D

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2022, 02:54:05 PM »
You cant assume that chinese  made tyres are always bad and known brands always good.
I would agree with that. My bike, Honda CBF1000, is very happy on Taiwanese made Maxxis tyres. Way more sticky than the Bridgestones it came fitted with. That said, I only ride in the dry, so they may not be the best if you ride all year round. Oh, and the wear rate isn't great, I can get less than 3000 miles out of the rear with a bit of effort!!  ;D
Maxxis tyres seem to be better known in Continental Europe than the uk.  .  They often have large  roadside adverts, and their logo at tyre fitters.  They sponsor competitors in off road events such as the Dakar rally. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2022, 09:02:41 PM »
Maxxis tyres seem to be better known in Continental Europe than the uk.  .  They often have large  roadside adverts, and their logo at tyre fitters.  They sponsor competitors in off road events such as the Dakar rally.
I didn't know that. They're a welll known brand in biker circles, trusted too despite their origins. Sticky, handle well but wear not brilliant and probably not best for winter riding. For us fair weather boys, happy to save a big wedge and suit the purpose just fine.

On car tyres though, on promotion, ATS were selling Michelin ESaver tyres for less than some garages were sellling "Winglang Lucky Joyroads" etc. So you can buy decent tyres for unknown tyres prices if you shop a lot a get lucky with a promotion.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2022, 08:37:38 AM »
It's worth noting that Maxxis is not a Chinese but a Taiwanese tyre brand. There is a huge difference in product quality as well as fundamental difference regarding the turnover and profit funding democracy and human rights. However, I haven't found information wheather all manufacturing is made in Taiwan or do they have production in China as well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 09:46:56 AM by TnTkr »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2022, 09:04:14 AM »
"Winglang Lucky Joyroads"

What a great brand name. I’d buy those!

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2022, 09:49:42 AM »
It's worth noting that Maxxis is not a Chinese but a Taiwanese tyre brand. There is a huge difference in product quality as well as fundamental difference regarding the turnover and profit funding democracy and human rights. However, I haven't found information wheather all manufacturing is made in Taiwan or do they have production in China as well.

Possibly the only thing china and Taiwan will trade are missiles!

Tags:

anything