Author Topic: Tyre change  (Read 3335 times)

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: Tyre change
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2022, 07:11:25 PM »
Yes, I fully agree that mechanical damage on sidewall can be quite nasty and the bulge can appear very quickly! Or the tyre can deflate rather quickly if damage is one degree worse. I've once got tyre completely deflated within couple on hundreds of meters when driving into pothole in a dark country road. Then I needed to get the spare wheel mounted on the road well after midnight. I had only car's lights. Luckily it was not raining.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 07:14:55 PM by TnTkr »

tonyparry

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 vtec Ex CVT
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2022, 09:59:33 PM »
Following comments seen on here I also changed all my Jazz tyres to Michelin Crossclimate 2. I didn't expect the amazing difference in both ride and silence. Thanks everyone.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 09:32:18 AM »
I have just fitted a set of 15" rims with Goodyear vector gen 3 all seasons , to my Mk4.  Replacing 16" original wheels on Yokohama Blue earth summer tyres. (The reason is a long story )

They are quieter and more comfortable, but I wouldn't call it the amazing difference reported by some for Cross climates. It may be my perceptions differ, or the blue earths relatively better   than some summer tyres. And ride differs between mk3 and mk4. Also I have only done a few miles so far and the Vectors are still quiet stiff. They  should improve further with use  whereas the Bluearths are as good as they will ever be. And all season tyres  remain more flexible in cold weather.

I still expect to be very happy with the Goodyears,. They are after all quieter and more comfortable  than the summer originals, with additional advantages.   But next time I might give Crossclimates a try ;)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 09:43:31 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2022, 08:56:07 AM »
The tyres on my car (2015 Mk3) have finally reached the point where they need replacing, after 7 years and 39k miles. They're the original Michelin Energy Saver 185/60 R15 84H (which is the only tyre size and rating specified in the car handbook). I want to replace all four with Michelin Crossclimate 2’s. My local tyre fitter's website lists two versions of that tyre:
•   84H priced at £101.52
•   88V priced at £93.34
It seems odd that the tyre with the higher weight index and speed rating is cheaper, but I guess that's to do with supply and demand.
Obviously it's tempting to go for the cheaper tyre with the higher load index and speed rating. But would that cause any issues, eg with insurance noting it's not listed in the handbook? Or indeed might that cause any other problems? Which one did the other CC2 users pick?

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2022, 09:27:42 AM »
I don't think it matters which one you select, they are both legal or the tyre fitters would not offer them.

Just had Crossclimate 2’s fitted to my HR-V and I went for the W rating.  The fitter told me that all ambulances in England now have them fitted, so they must be good :)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2022, 11:04:22 AM »
I think , as you say, the price depends on stock availability.    I think for  insurance purposes its better not to go under the load/speed rating recommended in the handbook.  But its unlikely to be  a problem exceeding it.

But to take the examples you give    84H means its rated for a speed of 130 mph    and a load of 500 kg per tyre  - ie a total of weight  2 tonnes for the car and contents.  Both are well above whats possible or likely for a Jazz.

88V is rated  for  a top speed of 149 mph   (dream on )   and a total load of 560 kg per tyre  . (2240 kg in total)

If price is not a factor there is an arguement for going for the better rated one  - no problem having a bit in reserve.     But it might mean that the tyre walls and construction is slightly stiffer,which might slightly  affect things such as rolling resistance, noise, fuel consumption,comfort etc.   But not sure if it would be for the better or worse.    Personally I'd go for the 88V's and save myself a few quid. If it were the 84H that were £32 cheaper I'd buy those ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 04:23:18 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2022, 09:04:52 PM »
I‘ve just replaced my original rear Michelin ES tyres with Michelin primacy 4, and they fitted 88H’s for £94 each, a lot more expensive than the front ones two years ago (£67 I think - they were 84 H’s). The rears still had more than legal tread after 56,000 miles, but were not holding the pressure, perhaps due to some cracking.  They were made in 2015. I probably should have rotated them, but life’s too short to waste it sitting in a tyre fitters’ waiting room!

Tags:

anything