Author Topic: LIM workings  (Read 2272 times)

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
LIM workings
« on: March 22, 2022, 10:18:09 PM »
For the first time today I tried the speed regulator that holds the car from going over different speed limits.  I think I must've misread the manual because I thought you only had to press one button on the steering wheel (RH centre inner) and the car would then take over, not letting you go over 30mph or whatever the limit was. 
But I'm not sure if I should have also pressed LIM to activate this option.  So I did so, but discovered that LIM cycles through three different phases of speed control. As I was driving I didn't want to experiment further.

Can someone tell me the correct procedure please.  I'm sure it can't be that complicated, but didn't want to play with the controls in heavy traffic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: LIM workings
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 05:03:01 AM »
I use LIM a lot.......

First off, press the LIM button so you have LIM lit in the dash display. Once ready it will display both the LIM and the set speed in white:

Then to activate it press the Res/+ steering wheel button. Do not use the Res/- at this stage because that sets it back down to 18mph.

This will change the LIM to green and will turn part of the speed display green as well :

Once you reach the set speed the speed will also turn green.

If you press either the + or - it will rise or fall in 1mph increments but holding either button does it in 10mph increments.

The default is 18mph so I suggest setting it before you set off to what you want then press the 'Cancel' button so it's set for when you need it. It remembers your last setting.

It's definitely worth mastering as I find it very useful in average speed zones.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 05:57:24 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 07:50:44 AM »
Otherwise drive up to the speed you want to limit it to and then press [SET/-] and that will fix the top speed.

If you need to exceed the speed then applying full throttle will allow additional speed increase past the set speed.

If there is any down hill section then the vehicle speed can increase above the set speed, it will not brake, at this point the speed alarm (beeps) will sound and you need to control the speed with either braking or B mode.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 08:41:53 AM »
...I'm not sure if I should have also pressed LIM to activate this option.  So I did so, but discovered that LIM cycles through three different phases of speed control. As I was driving I didn't want to experiment further.

If the Mk4 is anything like the Mk3, then the LIM button cycles through three options after you've pressed MAIN (not sure if the Mk4 has this?) to start up the speed control system :
1. Cruise control (Active CC on the Mk4) which will try to control the speed automatically at whatever value you set.
2. Speed Limiter which will try to ensure you never exceed the speed you have set manually. You still drive normally with the accelerator, but the car won't respond if you try to go above the set speed.
3. "Intelligent" speed limiter which links to the traffic sign recognition and automatically adjusts the set limit according to the speed limit. Be careful with this one, the sign recognition may not be particularly good.
So you select the one you want to use (there'll be an indicator somewhere on the control panel to remind you which one you've picked), then follow the instructions others have provided (or read the handbook) to actually get it to work.

Hugh R

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 06:59:41 PM »
I really can't work this one out. I'm trying to set me 'intelligent speed limiter', where the car keeps to the designated speed limits - i.e. 30. 40. 50. 70 etc.  I press the symbol (Speedo plus car), which then registers in white on the dash.
Nothing happens.  So I press set , or I press LIM or I press  + or - , and nothing happens either - the car just continues on it's merry way with no 'constant' at the required speed limit.  I must be doing something wrong, but what?  Is there an exact procedure for this in a particular order? Help appreciated!

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 09:03:56 PM »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 09:51:19 PM »
I press the symbol (Speedo plus car), which then registers in white on the dash.

If you have the symbol of "Speedo plus car" showing, I think that's the cruise control (p447 et seq of the link posted by Steve_M). You need it to show "LIM" for the adjustable limiter (p407), or "LIM plus a lollipop" for the intelligent limiter (p413).

So if you've inadvertently set the CC to a particular speed, then you can take your foot off the throttle and the car will just try to maintain that speed irrespective of speed limits, which seems to be what you're describing. You need to select the limiter, set whatever limit you want (or let the auto system read the signs), then drive normally controlling the car with the pedals; the car will prevent you exceeding the set speed (or will sound an alarm if you do, eg when going downhill).

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 09:51:40 PM »
If I was you I wouldn't bother, I tried it when I first got the car but there are so many occasions when it either "forgets" the limit (eg when turning into another road) or gets it wrong (eg by spotting a sign at a road junction) that it's useless and can't be relied upon

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 10:19:36 AM »
Only Cruise control  will maintain a constant set speed  (unless prevented by other traffic). Only really suitable for long stretches such as motorways.

LIM  you manually set the maximum speed ,such as observed speed limit or  your desired cruising speed. . But you have to manually maintain vehicle  speed with the throttle . Throttle response is stifled when you reach the limited speed.  (although pressing hard on the throttle will override that, if for instance you need more speed to complete an  overtake)

Intelligent LIM  automatically  limits the speed to the last speed limit sign the system was able to read. You still maintain speed manually with the throttle.     As others have pointed out  this is a bit risky as speed limit signs may be missing, obscured, applicable to side roads, etc .  It may also miss  speed limits indicated by the presence of lamposts  (ie 30 mph unless signs say otherwise)  or on the continent where the the urban speed limit  may start and end based on the village name boards.  I dont use this.  I prefer the discipline of being constantly aware of the speed limit and adjusting it   manually as limits change.    If in doubt I may double check the speed limit shown on the sat nav   but I have noticed this doesnt seem to be as accurate as  it is  on my stand alone garmin. Several times its shown a 60 mph limit where there are 40 mph signs. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 10:32:03 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything