Author Topic: Headlights pilish  (Read 886 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
Headlights pilish
« on: October 13, 2021, 10:41:33 PM »
I had polished my headlights with Turtlewax headlight protection liquid x4 months ago and Ive noticed the colour of the headlight got worsen...
Ive used car shampoo, toothpaste but it didn't returned to how it was prior to the tturtlewax headlight treatment.
There wasn't a requirement for me in the 1st place, but I thought it might protect the lens more in a long run.
Have a shot on my foot by using turtlewax headlight cleaner and sealant liquid?
What else I can do to get it nice and clean please?

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
Re: Headlights pilish
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 06:30:29 AM »
I’ve seen people recommending the Meguiar’s headlight restoration kit that you can get on Amazon, that’s meant to be pretty good although I’ve never tried it. Also the autoglym super resin polish that I’ve seen Culzean recommend a few times for use on headlights.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 06:48:41 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Headlights pilish
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 08:51:58 AM »
I’ve seen people recommending the Meguiar’s headlight restoration kit that you can get on Amazon, that’s meant to be pretty good although I’ve never tried it. Also the autoglym super resin polish that I’ve seen Culzean recommend a few times for use on headlights.

The AutoGlym super resin polish is a prevention, not a cure - you need to start applying it regularly when plastic is still OK.  I have a theory that traffic film on the plastic combined with UV light degrades the clarity of the plastic, so if you can remove the dirty layer regularly, and leave a coating behind that will resist the build-up of traffic film, the plastic will stay clear. Super resin polish also leaves a UV protective coating behind.  The trouble is once you use aggressive mechanical means to remove the cloudiness the original UV layer on the plastic is also removed - so the cloudiness will return much quicker.

I did use this on a previous car with good results, this was before I started to regularly use ( about once a month ) super resin as prevention.   You really do need to use a cotton cloth to apply the Fenwicks,  I tried microfibre and it didn't work very well, and they do recommend cotton in instructions.   

https://www.towsure.com/fenwicks-windowize-caravan-window-scratch-repair
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:08:59 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything