Author Topic: First drive in a Crosstar  (Read 1473 times)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
First drive in a Crosstar
« on: September 10, 2021, 11:24:43 AM »
Having ordered an HR-V, my dealer kindly offered me a drive in a Crosstar so that I could see what I thought of the eHEV system.
I must admit I was most impressed. With a 10 mile mainly urban drive with a mile or so at 70mph and a thrash up a i:5 hill 200 yards long, I got to 47 mph before I ran out of road. Very impressive!
I reset the average fibometer and I got between 65 and 72 MPG.
HOWEVER!!!
If it is generally considered that the Crosstar supposed to be 'softer' than the ordinary Jazz?
I know I have a bad back but the ride on the cr@ppy Poole roads was the most uncomfortable I have experienced since I took my 40 aspect 19 inch wheels off my Karoq. I even asked the sales manager if he was sure the tyre 'Storage' pressures had been adjusted . He said they had, but I'm not sure that he was convinced!
Any comments to contradict my experience would be appreciated.
It's a shame, as I was thinking if the HR-V delivery becomes even more protracted (it has already slipped 6 weeks to mid January) I would cancel the order and buy a Crosstar.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: First drive in a Crosstar
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 11:35:48 AM »
I think EV and hybrid vehicles have a difficult task because the additional weight means higher tyre pressures.

My 9G Civic pressures were 30 all round but the Jazz is 35 front and 33 rear. However, I found the ride quite OK. It all depends what car you've come from.

When I changed my Lexus IS200 for a first gen 8G Civic I found the suspension rock hard in comparison. Honda then tweaked the suspension on the facelift 8G and again on the 9G Civic but it was still on the hard side, being torsion bar, compared to full independent car setups.
Let's be careful out there !

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 12:03:25 PM »
I have a Crosstar but as Kremmen says it all depends what you are used to. On good surfaces I rate it highly and on the motorway it is a very comfortable cruiser. On poor surfaces, bumpy roads you do feel things a bit more but it is not excessive.
I recently had a drive in a new. Volvo XC40 (no comparison price wise of course) but it was so wallowy it made my wife and I feel sick. Reminiscent of American cars so maybe that’s where they have their biggest sales.
If you want the internal space of the Jazz but are looking for better dynamics then you are up in to Golf size cars with attendant higher prices and very few will have anything equivalent to the very clever Honda electric drive system.

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »
Thanks chaps.
I have a Karoq Sportline at present. Originally fitted with 19". 225. 40. TERRIBLE ride.
Went to 16". 215. 60. and it was transformed.
I agree that the Crosstar on a good surface is absolutely fine, but on rubbish roads it is awful. (assuming tyre pressures ARE correct).
I admit I have a spinal problem and I think the much shorter wheelbase of the Honda over the Skoda certainly doesn't help. I found it actually jarred my spine to the degree that I was staring to get a headache after 10miles.
I have had 8 Skodas and have always been very happy with them, bar a few niggly problems, bad enough to involve the dealer, but solvable.
However as Mod on both Kodiaq & Karoq fora, seeing the rapidly increasing problems with new Kodiaqs & Karoqs, plus a friend who is considering rejecting his brand new Octavia iV PHEV due to an apparently insoluble electronic problem. I am not intending to buy any other Skoda. That will also include ANY V.A.G. car.
AS I have said previously I have had 8 Honda, 8 Mitsubishi and 2 Mazda. Never any fault with any of them, admittedly all not too 'electronically blighted apart from the Outlander PHEV.
Most problems seem to be electronics. I think the manufacturers are just trying to be too clever and in many instances, failing miserably!

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 01:22:40 PM »
Having ordered an HR-V, my dealer kindly offered me a drive in a Crosstar so that I could see what I thought of the eHEV system.
I must admit I was most impressed. With a 10 mile mainly urban drive with a mile or so at 70mph and a thrash up a i:5 hill 200 yards long, I got to 47 mph before I ran out of road. Very impressive!
I reset the average fibometer and I got between 65 and 72 MPG.
HOWEVER!!!
If it is generally considered that the Crosstar supposed to be 'softer' than the ordinary Jazz?
I know I have a bad back but the ride on the cr@ppy Poole roads was the most uncomfortable I have experienced since I took my 40 aspect 19 inch wheels off my Karoq. I even asked the sales manager if he was sure the tyre 'Storage' pressures had been adjusted . He said they had, but I'm not sure that he was convinced!
Any comments to contradict my experience would be appreciated.
It's a shame, as I was thinking if the HR-V delivery becomes even more protracted (it has already slipped 6 weeks to mid January) I would cancel the order and buy a Crosstar.
You are very brave (or foolish) to buy an HR-V without being able to drive one or at least read UK road tests. I am waiting to see the new HR-V and test drive it against the Crosstar and other competitive products within a couple of days when the experience is fresh in my mind. Like you my wife has a bad back so needs a car with comfortable ride - not soft but controlled without jarring - so will have to wait it now seems to 2022!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 03:00:34 PM »
Having ordered an HR-V ... if the HR-V delivery becomes even more protracted (it has already slipped 6 weeks to mid January)
You are very brave (or foolish) to buy an HR-V without being able to drive one or at least read UK road tests. I am waiting to see the new HR-V and test drive it against the Crosstar and other competitive products within a couple of days when the experience is fresh in my mind. Like you my wife has a bad back so needs a car with comfortable ride - not soft but controlled without jarring - so will have to wait it now seems to 2022!

Having had a few bad experiences buying cars without being able to properly test drive, I would second this comment. The worst was a first generation Landrover Freelander. The seat and overall driving position did not suit me at all, meaning a modest 70 mile drive to the seaside would leave me in incredible pain from my bad back. As this was a company car, I was committed to three years with it. Only the fact that in the first 18 months, it visited the dealership 17 times with significant issues, and the fact that they were in short supply and so the resale value had held up, meant that the lease company allowed me to change vehicles.

Having said this, I had one of the first of the outgoing HR-V models for a while and the ride and comfort in that were great for me. The reason I got rid of it early (for my current RAV4 Hydrid) was there was some unreliability issues with the early models and we also inherited a large dog due to a bereavement and we simply didn't have enough room in the HR-V for three dogs and all the stuff we take on holiday.

I am waiting on the new HR-V and will be comparing it to the new Toyota Yaris Cross, the Ford Puma (not looking too great to be honest) and maybe something from Citroen. As next year will most likely see me retiring, whatever car I buy next will likely be with me for an awfully long time. I will be looking to get an ex demo or young part ex to take the sting out of the new price.

Crosstar is not on my list as I don't see it as being suitable for my purposes and don't see the value in the price hike over the regular Jazz.

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 04:03:29 PM »
Expat and Richard,
I am neither brave nor foolish!
The deal with the new HR-V is that you pay £500 deposit and they order the car (it was somewhat awkward as Honda were asleep and didn't get the config up and running until a bout 3 weeks after the order books opened.)
However....... The demos should be with the dealers early October and having driven it, if you don't like it, you say "Thanks, but no thanks" and the dealer returns your £500 and when the car arrives they simply put it into stock.
I bought my Kodiaq 'off plan' before the line even tarted. building them. I had however owned 5 Skodas previously and so was quite happy that I would fit it and everything would be up to my expectations. I also looked at many reviews on Youtube.
Unfortunately, Honda have yet to doll out some cars for the reviewers to play with, I shall be watching with interest when they do!!
I have also owned 8 Hondas so I am happy with what they produce. Apart from the bone crunching Crosstar suspension. ( I still think the workshop hadn't let the tyres down to the correct pressure from the 50 odd lbs per square inch transport pressures. I hopeI' right!)

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 04:32:17 PM »
Hi Karoq, that makes sense now. Looks like there are a few of us eagerly waiting to test the new HR-V.
Hope it's not a disappointment! I've had 3 Skoda's - an Octavia and 2 Yeti's - Yeti's are great cars but Kamiq is too low and has lost all the individuality of the Yeti. Skoda seems to have been absorbed into VAG corporate design.
Honda seem to set their own path!

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 10:51:06 AM »
If I buy the HR-V it will be my 79 car. I have had Fabia, 3 Yetis. Kodiaq and 3 Karoqs. Yeti prices are now skyrocketing!. Big mistake of Skoda to stop the Yeti. Sorely missed by all that had/have one.
Also had original HR-V, 4 CR-Vs and a Jazz. Before I went to Skoda.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 11:23:39 AM »
If I buy the HR-V it will be my 79 car. I have had Fabia, 3 Yetis. Kodiaq and 3 Karoqs. Yeti prices are now skyrocketing!. Big mistake of Skoda to stop the Yeti. Sorely missed by all that had/have one.
Also had original HR-V, 4 CR-Vs and a Jazz. Before I went to Skoda.
Agreed about Yeti. I replaced a 2012 Elegance Yeti with one of the last 2017 production runs SEL-Drive 1.2 DSG's with leather, reversing camera, memory electric seats, heated windscreen etc. - plus, of course, 16” rather than 17” wheels. 16” with higher profile tyres provide a far comfier ride. I found Skoda(UK) great to deal with an they were happy to intercept dealer order to spec 16” wheels instead of OEM 17” wheels - even gave me a choice of tyres.
Love the Yeti but it will but soon will be 5 years old and I like to change cars at about that point - several contenders but if the HR-V reaches expectations then I will go for that. Be sad to see Yeti go however!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 05:51:44 PM »
Honda's "man-maximum, machine-minimum" ethos results in the suspension having less travel than many otherwise similar vehicles. It also appears that whoever specifies the UK model options doesn't drive on the sub-standard roads that the rest of us frequently encounter which results in the cars coming with bigger rims and lower profile tyres than could be fitted. I also wonder if the increased recommended tyre pressures compared to the previous Jazz are to improve the fuel economy.

I remember when I drove home from the dealer with my new Crosstar that the road felt smoother than when I went to the dealer in the HR-V (which was fitted with Cross Climate+ tyres that gave a slightly smoother ride than the original Primacy tyres).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 04:28:52 AM »
I'm of the same opinion.

The Jazz suspension seems slightly more pliant than my 9G Civic,  which I like,  but the Jazz doesn't like short sharp bumps. All in all though like it.
Let's be careful out there !

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 11:28:41 PM »
Honda hr V has 225 50 which should be same side wall height as the jazz at 15" i think.
The hr V 18 should roll over better than the smaller jazz/ crosstar wheels
So unless they make suspension stiffer then it should be better than crosstar?

I've found sr jazz to be good, better than I expected.
On both speedbumps and last few days on very rural lanes ( with loads of sink spots, tramlines, etc)
Never does it bottom out, not any sharp thumps. You feel them and hear them but well muted by suspension and seat. Surprised .

So you may have joy with the hr V or crosstar.
Btw. I see virtual hrv sessions advertised, so you get 1 hr slot with Honda online.
https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/honda-launches-virtual-showroom-experience-for-all-new-hr-v-hybrid/

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 08:10:32 PM »

Tags:

anything