Author Topic: Evidence of a car wash being used on my new car  (Read 2646 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Evidence of a car wash being used on my new car
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 10:45:10 AM »
I enjoy giving my car a good going over. I spend quite a few hours out there giving it the works, inside and out.

Therapeutic ?

Definitely. As I have got older though, I do less polishing and waxing and have a largely liquid cleaning regime with shampoos and spray on waxes of various makes. Garage Therapy do some good stuff.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 11:50:43 AM »
I enjoy giving my car a good going over. I spend quite a few hours out there giving it the works, inside and out.

Therapeutic ?

largely liquid cleaning regime

Fosters, Special Brew :)
Let's be careful out there !

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 05:41:11 PM »
Anyone never waxed their car - only taken it to a car wash?  Is this a really bad idea for a new car? 
And what do people think of 'American Car Wash' depots?  I have a feeling the pressure sprays are used far too near the car, so also dangerous for the sensors in the bumper.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »
I’ve never waxed any car since my first one in 1965, and I’m not allowed to wash a car in the car-park of my current apartment block.  A few times a year I go to one of the many hand washes around, and the Honda dealer washes it once a year as part of the service.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 06:56:35 PM »
Anyone never waxed their car - only taken it to a car wash?  Is this a really bad idea for a new car? 
And what do people think of 'American Car Wash' depots?  I have a feeling the pressure sprays are used far too near the car, so also dangerous for the sensors in the bumper.
The IMO washes I use do not use high pressure water jets and the sensors in the bumpers are waterproof!! What do think driving on a motorway behind a 38 ton truck does to your sensors when their tyres shift 10 GALLONS of water per SECOND per TYRE on a saturated road at 60mph. That's 80 gallons a second hitting your car  :o at a safe distance.
Don't think I'm going to worry about a car wash ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 06:58:06 PM by Karoq »
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

guest9814

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2021, 08:40:03 PM »
Not waxed my 18y old Yaris
When I sell the car the protective paint coating began to fall off in places, so wax needed to be applied.
After several months  of owning Jazz I see that water not beading on roof anymore, so I applied turtle wax - Seal & Shine, one application last 6 month.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 04:50:57 AM »
Every time I wash mine I give it a final going over with a quality waterless wash with carnauba wax.

It gets rid of any water spots left behind from the wash and makes the paint super slippy. I certainly wouldn't use waterless wash on a dirty car.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »
I use a chamois leather to dry the car. You?
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2021, 09:56:56 AM »
I've never got on with a genuine chamois, find them greasy after a while so I use a Vileda Window Cloth. It's a synthetic chamois but far easier to wring out.

Then finish off with a Meguirs large water magnet towel.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 10:44:35 AM »
I use a large microfibre towel for drying. I'm astonished at how much moisture these things can soak up.

The average Brit washes his or her car 9 times a year. Only a tiny percentage, 3%, washes the car every week. About 6% claim that they never clean their car. The source for these stats was a leading car leasing company. Judging by my road, I think myself, and one other chap, are the only people to hand wash their cars in the drive with any regularity.

I'm not sure it's necessary to put a hard paste wax on a car. If you wash it safely at least once a month and apply a quick detail spray or similar, your car will be better cared for than 90% of other cars (can't remember where I got that stat). The whole car detailing scene is a bit esoteric with clay bars, machine polishers etc etc. That gives you a level of shine that is probably better than most but I think this level of car care is for hobbyists who want that extra 10%.

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 05:17:18 PM »
Well, for the first time the car is washed - and by a drag-through type wash.  Of course the car went wild and mad with buzzing and flashing warnings all over the screen for the entire duration. And it took several moments for me to discover how to get the wipers to stop as they were set to auto. 
Is there no way to disable all the safety features before going through a wash?
The wash itself was excellent.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »
Turn the ignition off but leave it in NEUTRAL?
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2021, 10:56:24 AM »
I also never got on with chamois leathers. I use a microfibre drying towel.

guest9814

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »
Actually chamois leather works good when car paint treated with wax or ceramic coating,
No need to rub half of hour with chamois, it is enough to wipe the slightly damp chamois twice and that's it as water beads in large drops and not staying on car paint

Tags: