Author Topic: Honda Drive Recorder  (Read 4686 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: Honda Drive Recorder
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 11:28:05 AM »
Has anyone actually hardwired a non Honda Dash Cam into Jazz/Crosstar? I thought I had read that it was difficult because of problem with connecting into fusebox and some auto electricians had declined to do it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 12:21:20 PM »
I'll be doing mine soon.

I have the option connector though so I won't be piggybacking.

The drive recorder uses the option connector socket so that's where to go.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 12:24:03 PM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 02:37:31 PM »
I'll be doing mine soon.

I have the option connector though so I won't be piggybacking.

The drive recorder uses the option connector socket so that's where to go.
What's the option connector socket and how do you hardwire into it?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2021, 03:14:13 PM »
If you look through the 'Hardwiring a Dashcam' thread I made reference to it. Start at my post #16 :

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12345.15

Roman managed to find the option connector plug on a Japan site, which is difficult to obtain. I followed his lead and ordered one a while ago via ZenMarket.

The option connector socket has been on Hondas since at least 2007 and is the place to wire accessories to.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »
I tried several different installers in Surrey but they wouldn't fit a bought dashcam to a new hybrid Honda Jazz, so had to go with the Honda option.

One thing they don't tell you anywhere in their advertising, that I only found out today, is that it has a rear camera function! They should really be promoting this feature - on the EX it uses the reversing camera to record while you are driving.

There are two folders on the memory card, one marked F for forward and the other R for the reversing camera.

The resolution on the reversing camera isn't brilliant, but good enough for evidence in an accident:

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2021, 10:12:57 AM »
The front camera is only 1080P standard high definition TV quality, but good enough:

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »
I kept clear of 1080p dashcams, I had one previously and it just didn't cut it so opted for a Quad HD :

This picture doesn't do it justice as it's been resized down, it really is pin sharp :

Viofo A119 V3
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 11:27:14 AM by Kremmen »

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2021, 02:01:54 PM »
Kremmen, excellent but how do you fit that Dashcam to the Jazz? Everything I read implies that even professional auto electricians decline to hardwire a Dashcam to the MK4.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2021, 02:31:32 PM »
Kremmen, excellent but how do you fit that Dashcam to the Jazz? Everything I read implies that even professional auto electricians decline to hardwire a Dashcam to the MK4.

See Kremmen’s other post in the dash cam installation thread

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12345.90

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2021, 11:09:43 AM »
Some more information on the drive recorder:

- there is no gps, so no speed recording. But no waiting for a signal either. (I used to have a Volvo dashcam that wouldn't record until it got a signal, which could be 20 minutes after you started driving as it was a slow receiver combined with a heated windscreen.)

- the standard memory card supplied is a Sandisk 16Gb, by estimating the file sizes I'd say good for 3 hours of looped front/rear recording. I fitted a Sandisk 32Gb, the maximum supported, so should get 6hrs of looping. 32Gb cards are only £6 or so each.

- replacing/inserting the memory card is very fiddly, but shouldn't have to be done very often. You can't just press the card with your finger, I had to use an angled piece of plastic do do it. There isn't much space between the drive recorder and the central camera/rear view mirror housing.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2021, 11:16:34 AM »
Normally the 32Gb limit is only because that's the Windows limit for formatting as FAT32. Above 32Gb Windows is ExFAT or NTFS which a lot of dashcams don't understand.

I'll bet that a 64Gb card formatted to FAT32 with a third party Windows program may also work.

That's what I did years ago on a Nextbase 412, with the same published limit, and it worked perfectly.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 04:24:16 PM »
FYI I’ve found the standard setting of medium sensitivity for the collision saving to be too sensitive on my EX.

I’ve changed mine to low sensitivity as I was getting 3 beeps telling me it had protected a recording occasionally when driving over a minor bump in the road.

Tags: