Author Topic: CAT anti-theft  (Read 2699 times)

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
Re: CAT anti-theft
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2021, 10:25:23 AM »
I just posted this elsewhere as was looking on internet about it after buying new Jazz -

Honda, for example, has fitted Accord and Jazz models from 2008 onwards with a tray under the car to make it harder for thieves to get at the catalytic converter. In models from 2015 onwards, the catalytic converter has been placed within the engine bay, so a thief would need to disassemble the car to get at it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »
I just posted this elsewhere as was looking on internet about it after buying new Jazz -

Honda, for example, has fitted Accord and Jazz models from 2008 onwards with a tray under the car to make it harder for thieves to get at the catalytic converter. In models from 2015 onwards, the catalytic converter has been placed within the engine bay, so a thief would need to disassemble the car to get at it.

Even on the MK2 ( 2008 to 2015 ) the CAT is close coupled to exhaust manifold, which means it is hidden behind the engine, open the bonnet and shine a torch down behind engine and you can see pre-CAT oxygen sensor and a small part of the CAT and heatshield.  The idea of putting CAT close to engine is to allow faster warm-up and higher temperature to make CAT more efficient, not really to prevent theft as the newer CATs have a lot less precious metals in them anyway.  In the Civic ( even in my 1996 one ) the CAT was at front of engine bolted straight onto exhaust manifold, and is the same in my 8th gen Civic.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 12:11:57 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Robato

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2021, 11:31:48 AM »
How do you manage to leave the dashcam on when you have to lock the doors and leave please? Also, the cigarette lighter power cuts out when the key is off and removed...

I don't have a guard. I don't park for long periods but if I do I leave the dash cam running. Car now parked in drive.

Hello Are you the one who put the guard offered in HArrow? I have an old exhaust, if ever that exhaust would need replacement, do you think another garage wouldn't have troubles with fitting a new exhaust and put the guard back as effective as before?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 11:43:32 AM by Robato »

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2021, 03:38:45 PM »
I really doubt it tbh...They had spent 1.5hrs putting it up as its  a two layer protection. Ive changed my mid -rear exhaust system prior to this job hoping I wouldn't need any touching on the exhaust for atleast 8yrs or so....
By all means you can give that garage a call and find out. They had used nuts and bolts to tighten up the metal cable so I don't think they weld anything to the chassis.

How do you manage to leave the dashcam on when you have to lock the doors and leave please? Also, the cigarette lighter power cuts out when the key is off and removed...

I don't have a guard. I don't park for long periods but if I do I leave the dash cam running. Car now parked in drive.

Hello Are you the one who put the guard offered in HArrow? I have an old exhaust, if ever that exhaust would need replacement, do you think another garage wouldn't have troubles with fitting a new exhaust and put the guard back as effective as before?

Tags: