Author Topic: CAT anti-theft  (Read 2650 times)

Robato

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
CAT anti-theft
« on: August 27, 2021, 11:12:56 PM »
Hello All, just bought a Honda Jazz 2008 1.4 SE 2-3 days ago.. and I've only found out the day after I bought the car, Jazz is one of the main easy targets of CAT theft. One mechanic was suggesting he can replace my CAT with an aftermarket and pay me for the genuine part. He said this can turn the thieves off but I don't like the idea of failing MOT in the future. Any suggestion on how to deter thieves like guard or protection for my peace of mind? I do not have the knowledge and tools to do it so any place or garage I can visit to install it for me would be great. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:15:47 PM by Robato »

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: CAT anti-theft
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 04:37:08 AM »
A good strategy, one which I would take if I could wind back the clock to pre-theft of mine.However DO NOT SELL YOUR VALUABLE CAT TO THE GARAGE! ,  it has an underworld value of £350. Did the Garage tell you the figure? If thieves see a non-Honda Cat they do not bother with theft

A good strategy to fit a pattern Cat and keep the original in  reserve in case your car does fail an MOT in the future, or sell it to a recycler when you dispose of the Jazz in a few years hence.  The Cat can be fitted easily (5 bolts 2 at the top , 3 at the bottom end)

Prices new Honda vs non-Honda:

Honda Cat £1200,  Honda gas sensors 2 required £560, Centre pipe (they cut this pipe too) £225 Total £2000 plus labour.

Non-Honda Cat B& M  £80,  2 Sensors Lucas LEB455/456 £80,  Total £160 plus labour..

The B& M Cat and Lucas sensors gave very good figures for the MoT exhaust gas test, an easy pass. I detect a slight reduction in mpg of 2 mpg but the Jazz still gives 60 to 61  mpg on the  mpg gauge on a long run.

The low underworld cost of the B&M cat means thieves see the non-Honda cat and depart

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 04:49:17 AM by E27006 »

Robato

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 08:21:38 AM »
A good strategy, one which I would take if I could wind back the clock to pre-theft of mine.However DO NOT SELL YOUR VALUABLE CAT TO THE GARAGE! ,  it has an underworld value of £350. Did the Garage tell you the figure? If thieves see a non-Honda Cat they do not bother with theft

A good strategy to fit a pattern Cat and keep the original in  reserve in case your car does fail an MOT in the future, or sell it to a recycler when you dispose of the Jazz in a few years hence.  The Cat can be fitted easily (5 bolts 2 at the top , 3 at the bottom end)

Honda Cat £1200,  Honda gas sensors 2 required £560, Centre pipe (they cut this pipe too) £225 Total £2000 plus labour.

Non-Honda Cat B& M  £80,  2 Sensors Lucas LEB455/456 £80,  Total £160 plus labour..

The B& M Cat and Lucas sensors gave very good figures for the MoT exhaust gas test, an easy pass. I detect a slight reduction in mpg of 2 mpg but the Jazz still gives 60 to 61  mpg on the  mpg gauge on a long run.

The low underworld cost of the B&M cat means thieves see the non-Honda cat and depart

The mechanic said he will pay me £300 ish for the Honda part but ofcourse I will need to pay for the replacement. Is replacing the genuine part a more effective approach than installing a guard. I do not have a garage to park my car and I do not like the thoughts of not able to use my car to shop because of fear of someone messing the car, specially when I go out with my family and kids. I would do what's best to be able to think and act and use my car as normal as possible.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 08:37:09 AM »

The mechanic said he will pay me £300 ish for the Honda part but ofcourse I will need to pay for the replacement. Is replacing the genuine part a more effective approach than installing a guard. I do not have a garage to park my car and I do not like the thoughts of not able to use my car to shop because of fear of someone messing the car, specially when I go out with my family and kids. I would do what's best to be able to think and act and use my car as normal as possible.

I would not sell him the Honda Cat for £300, he is looking to take your money, just  keep it until you sell the car, and then sell it on yourself .  In addition,  if you have a B& M pattern Cat for £80,  then have the Honda OEM sensors swapped into the new Cat.  Just buy a Cat and let him fit it or fit it yourself, it is an easy job.  Note you car is Euro 4, the Cat should also be Euro 4 specification.
A Cat guard in the form of a sheet metal undertray will cost you at least £40 for the guard, I do not think it will make a difference,  the thief will  cut the guard ( they turn up equipped with battery powered cutters) .  Swapping out your £2000 worth of part for an £80 Cat is definitely the better solution, without any doubt! 
I live in London and purposely seeking other Dsi Jazz owners in the local supermarket car park to warn them, to hear  too late, it has already happened,,  4 out 5 had been victims of theft,  it is not a matter of if, it is it WILL happen!,  again to press the point the thieves are not interested in a pattern Cat, they have no underworld value
I wish I could be in your situation,  £80 to solve a problem!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 09:12:54 AM by E27006 »

Robato

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 08:57:06 AM »
I would not sell him the Honda Cat for £300, he is looking to take your money, just  keep it until you sell the car, and then sell it on .  In addition,  if you have a B& M pattern Cat for £80,  then have the Honda OEM sensors swapped into the new Cat.  Just buy a Cat and let him fit it or fit it yourself, it is an easy job.  Note you car is Euro 4, the Cat should also be Euro 4 specification.

First, are you suggesting replacing the CAT with a B&M pattern is a more effective approach to deter thieves than a guard? Also wouldn't be an issue regarding MOT standards, laws and insurance modification? And lastly, Can you still sell a Jazz with only an aftermarket CAT?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 10:49:46 AM »
I would not sell him the Honda Cat for £300, he is looking to take your money, just  keep it until you sell the car, and then sell it on .  In addition,  if you have a B& M pattern Cat for £80,  then have the Honda OEM sensors swapped into the new Cat.  Just buy a Cat and let him fit it or fit it yourself, it is an easy job.  Note you car is Euro 4, the Cat should also be Euro 4 specification.

First, are you suggesting replacing the CAT with a B&M pattern is a more effective approach to deter thieves than a guard? Also wouldn't be an issue regarding MOT standards, laws and insurance modification? And lastly, Can you still sell a Jazz with only an aftermarket CAT?

Fitting a cheaper CAT is pretty useless,  the bad guys will not know it is a cheaper CAT until they have gone to the trouble of jacking the car up, and then because it takes about 2 minutes to cut the CAT off they will nick it anyway. They may not even realise it is a cheaper CAT, and it will be worth something anyway for resale, I wonder how many people who have had their CAT nicked may have unknowingly bought their old one back ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Robato

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 11:41:58 AM »
Fitting a cheaper CAT is pretty useless,  the bad guys will not know it is a cheaper CAT until they have gone to the trouble of jacking the car up, and then because it takes about 2 minutes to cut the CAT off they will nick it anyway. They may not even realise it is a cheaper CAT, and it will be worth something anyway for resale, I wonder how many people who have had their CAT nicked may have unknowingly bought their old one back ?

I just bought the car and from the news and stories I heard there is something I need to do for my mental health and safety. I compared aftermarket and OEM and its very distinguishable.. but like you said we do not know if that's enough to deter the bad guys. But on the other hand, others like the first respondent and my mechanic said it's the better solution. I called some garages and dealers too yesterday and some suggested having a guard would only make the damage worse for a determined thief. I am torn in between now but something needs to be done right :(

Robato

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 12:25:45 PM »
Can someone please answer if aftermarket CAT won't have issues on UK regulations and laws? Are the ones available in the market ex,ebay legal replacements? Thank you.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 01:53:19 PM »
Can someone please answer if aftermarket CAT won't have issues on UK regulations and laws? Are the ones available in the market ex,ebay legal replacements? Thank you.

So long as the replacement cat is 'type approved', and all aftermarket ones should be, there is no problem.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »
For your Jazz you will need an approved Cat to Euro 4 standard for emissions to comply with regulations.
I can confirm that the B&M Cat I installed on my Jazz is an approved Cat to Euro 4 standards  and is therefore legal to use on the public roads. B&M are a sizeable  supplier in the after market Cat market
B&M are one of several manufacturers of non-OEM  Cats sold  on Ebay and through sellers such as Europart etc.
I also used non-OEM sensors, ( the sensors screw into the Cat and are therefore stolen too)   
The sensors I used were Lucas LEB455 LEB456 which are a direct plug-in fit for the Jazz (no rewiring required).
I can also confirm my Jazz sailed through the MoT emissions test and I've not had any issues with dashboard check lights . I hope the above helps

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 02:02:26 PM »

I believe the thieves do know the difference,  they can recognise the Honda part against others,  The garages who fit pattern parts give the same advice,  I know from that  two victims of cat theft, I dso not know of anyone who has had a "second visit"  in any case if they do return, better to lose an £80 Cat than a £1200 Honda Cat.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 02:04:02 PM by E27006 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »
I replaced my cat 5 years ago as we couldn't separate it from the rusted middle section. It has passed emission checks ever since with no problems.
And as for buying a Jazz with an aftermarket cat, its a Mk1 we are discussing. As long as it has an MOT and starts, you'll sell it.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 05:07:05 PM »
I now know a number of Jazz owners who have had CATs stolen-all non hybrids.

Can anyone recommend someone who supplies anti theft devices for Jazz Mk2 cats? 

(I've googled, but some of the resulting links are for sites no longer operating.  I've emailed a place in Harrow that supplies and fits them, although on Google Street view it looks a bit of a bomb site.  I've also emailed another company, but it doesn't seem to do MK2 Jazzs, only Mk 1s.)

Thanks.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 06:01:05 PM »
Jazz Mk2s are not targeted as far as I know, as the CAT is harder to access.

Robato

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 06:11:13 PM »
I replaced my cat 5 years ago as we couldn't separate it from the rusted middle section. It has passed emission checks ever since with no problems.
And as for buying a Jazz with an aftermarket cat, its a Mk1 we are discussing. As long as it has an MOT and starts, you'll sell it.

Thank you. Do you have a guard installed or just an aftermarket one? Do you park in public places in long hours?

Tags: