Author Topic: UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report  (Read 6947 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
... It will all balance out in the end....
It will, but not if humans are left in charge

Who says humans are in charge?  :o
I believe it was me wot wrote that  ;D
Neil Ives

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2021, 10:40:03 AM »

Perhaps humans are (ir)responsible?  (rather than in charge)

Edit Added last bit in bracket
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 04:19:07 PM by JimSh »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2021, 11:25:33 AM »
Meanwhile in the real world, the UK is setting out its stall for the Climate Conference later this year...

"The UK has fired up an old coal power plant to meet its electricity needs.

Warm, still, autumn weather has meant wind farms have not generated as much power as normal, while soaring prices have made it too costly to rely on gas.

As a result, National Grid ESO - which is responsible for balancing the UK's electricity supply - confirmed coal was providing 3% of national power.

It said it asked EDF to fire up West Burton A, which had been on standby.

A National Grid ESO spokesman said there had been a three-day coal-free run in mid-August.

However, the country had relied on some coal power every day since then.

Last year, coal contributed 1.6% of the country's electricity mix. That was down from 25% five years ago.

Both the government and National Grid ESO have committed to phasing out coal power completely by 2024 to cut carbon emissions. However, coal is currently still used when it is better value than gas."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58469238

guest4871

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2021, 11:35:31 AM »

I believe it was me wot wrote that  ;D

Please explain.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2021, 11:51:14 AM »
Germans shut down clean nuclear and have used coal for a while now as a reliable power source... China, India, using coal, China still building coal fired stations for themselves and other countries. The UK <1% of emissions and the horrendous cost of cutting it is about as virtue signalling as you can get.   I know wind has not showed up much lately, and even light cloud knocks solar back a lot,  then again between October and March solar pretty much disappears in UK anyway....  The head of German electricity said a few years ago that when renewables get to be more than 25% of your power supply you have a problem because they are so unreliable in their output and you still need to have 100% conventional backup for when renewables stay in bed.   Check your electricity bill history for a few years and see the ever rising cost of electrickery,  and it is not forecast for the price to go down anytime soon ( don't hold your breath ), over generous 'feed in tariffs'  and paying renewable companies even when they do not produce is being passed down to consumers, and the cost of running an EV will soon pass the cost of ICE.

Just read national grid UK has had to reactivate coal fired generation to 'stabilise the grid' ( a polite way of saying we need to prevent power cuts or voltage reductions ) because wind is getting incredibly unreliable.  Is lack of wind due to global warming ?   

https://newsnationusa.com/news/world/uk/uk-had-to-turn-on-coal-power-plant-to-help-national-grid-cope-with-low-winds/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 04:48:18 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2021, 06:58:03 PM »
Read a great quote today ( wish I had thought of it ).

'The planets climate has been changing for 4.5 billion years, then a creature crawls out of the ooze who thinks it can stop it changing'....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2021, 08:38:44 PM »

'The planets climate has been changing for 4.5 billion years, then a creature crawls out of the ooze who thinks it can stop it changing'....

The planets climate has been changing wthin limits for 4.5 billion years, then a creature crawls out of the ooze who upsets the balance...

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: UN&#38;#8217;s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2021, 08:56:07 AM »

The planets climate has been changing wthin limits for 4.5 billion years, then a creature crawls out of the ooze who upsets the balance...

Within what limits ? Certainly not the very, very narrow temperature and composition of atmosphere that could support humans.  Humans are pretty fragile,  and just another extinction event waiting to happen.  I just wish they were spending the same money on population control as they are wasting on MMCC and zero carbon rubbish. Trouble is no taxes to be made from reducing population.

Quote from an article

"The same basic problem recurs. Nations which industrialised earlier are far readier to reduce carbon emissions than are developing nations, who fear being cheated of economic growth. Because the latter are growing so fast (China and India account for more than a third of all global carbon emissions), there will be no overall carbon reduction unless they “disarm”. They won’t.

Indeed, as these rising nations become richer and more assertive, Western persuasiveness weakens. Even Barack Obama failed to achieve consensus at Copenhagen’s Cop15 in 2009. Neither his former vice-president, Joe Biden, nor Boris Johnson, has as much chance in Glasgow next week as he had then. The environmental equivalent of global multilateral disarmament is not happening. The unilateral disarmament of the West is."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:00:26 AM by culzean »

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2021, 10:36:32 AM »
If you are talking about the planet, as opposed to life on the planet, then you are correct but for billions of years the Earth has been in a Goldilocks position for the existence of life.
That a species should choose to alter these conditions and annihilate itself and countless other species out of greed is incomprehensible to me.
I'm not religious but the Garden of Eden seems to be a good analogy.

I notice you do not give a reference to your quote.

The Universe is not only queerer than we imagine—it is queerer than we can imagine.  JBS Haldane

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2021, 12:35:30 PM »

Climate change is very lucrative if you are in the right place,  and if you disagree you get 'cancelled'.
Yep, but it's not those giving the warnings about it who stand to make the money. It's the big oil companies and rich industrialists in pursuit of ever increasing GDP and media barons  and the politicians of the Republican and Conservative parties and their equivalents who receive their backing.
They have continued to suppress the warnings of global warnings for decades in pursuit of profit in much the same way as tobacco companies denied the damaging effects of smoking.
These same people will be least affected by the damage they have caused and again profit by buying up land and resources cheaply after the devastation for which they have been responsible.

Edit Corrected typo then added to rant.

If you don't mind me saying so, I think you are absolutely and completely and 100% wrong.

'fraid not
Big oil, like tobacco firms have been deceiving the public for decades with regard to the damage their products are doing.

USA
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/big-oil-and-gas-kept-a-dirty-secret-for-decades-now-they-may-pay-the-price?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

UK
https://mailchi.mp/844a06278e62/the-launch-whats-next-and-how-to-support-the-case-4580034?e=6cdc74eb08

Edit Added these links

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/tobacco-and-oil-industries-used-same-researchers-to-sway-public1/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exxon-knew-about-climate-change-almost-40-years-ago/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 04:09:16 PM by JimSh »

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2021, 07:05:59 PM »
The story of the Easter Islands should be a lesson for mankind.

'The inhabitants created a thriving and industrious culture, as evidenced by the island's numerous enormous stone moai and other artifacts. However, land clearing for cultivation and the introduction of the Polynesian rat led to gradual deforestation. By the time of European arrival in 1722, the island's population was estimated to be 2,000 to 3,000.'
Neil Ives

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2021, 08:22:22 AM »
If you think of COP ( or COP-out ) as a larger version of a typical company employee meeting where most people go along with stuff, even if they don't agree with it, sign up to change things but then not a lot happens.  People turn up at meeting after meeting with excuses - even thought the 'action by' column has their name in it....   The difference this time is that the countries who are most involved in emissions did not even bother to turn up....

MMCC is a typical example of groupthink.....

Tags: