Author Topic: Rear brake pads  (Read 1048 times)

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
Rear brake pads
« on: August 01, 2021, 11:23:27 PM »
Greetings to all,

I am reasonably handy with a bag of spanner’s, and wish to replace my rear pads.
I have had my 1.3 auto. with sat nav. for 3 years, and it’s just had its 5 year service, at the main dealers. I am really happy with it, the only betterment, would be its ability to climb gradients on the motorways, without me having to take a run at them!

On the last service a couple of weeks ago, they sent a mini video afterwards, showing the condition of the rear brakes. They described them as breaking up and dangerous. I could see that yes indeed, the leading edge did look chipped with lumps out of it. I would add that I am light on the brakes, and the mileage is low at 16000. The discs have 5 years of use, and 5 years of rust! I haven’t had the wheels off yet to check the disc condition, due to a few points, that someone here can probably answer.

As my car is parked on my level drive, I leave it in “park” with the handbrake off.
This saves the loud clunk, as they release, after attaching themselves to the discs, if they were damp. This is all well and good, but I think that my light usage isn’t helping. To clean off the disc rust, and to give the pads a non glazed surface, on a quiet bit of road, at 20mph, I apply the handbrake only, to bring me to a stop. People more knowledgeable than me, may say that’s the reason, for the leading or trailing edge,(I’m unsure which) being chipped. Time to stop this practice?!!!

Right, my questions are:
Do I need 2 different types of lubricant, for the metal edges of the pads where they locate in the guides;  and the lubrication of the guide pins?
Secondly, to retract the piston for the new pads, do I have to turn it at the same time as compressing it, and if so, is that clock or anti-clockwise?
Finally, a recommendation please, for a decent brand of pads.

Many thanks in anticipation

David.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
Re: Rear brake pads
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 11:45:47 PM »
i think the rears are turning the calipers not sure which way though

i used to use LM grease and it stopped squeaks great, i tried copper grease once and it squealled really bad

i am taking many years ago since i did my own brakes

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 09:57:21 AM »
I use ceramic brake grease for all brake parts. - as recommended as best practise.

When winding back calipers (Mark 2 Jazz), I remove pads, place tool and engage on cylinder and wind in anti clockwise. If it is very stiff, a light spray of any silicone based lubricating fluid (non oil) on the edges of the cylinder helps. I use rubber grease on cylinder walls when wound in fully.

Replaced mine twice in nine years (Hilly country with some steep descents and sharp corners means rear brakes operate hard for prolonged periods - one hill is 0.5miles and descends c 150 meters. )

davejazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 12:02:46 PM »
Many thanks both for your quick response.

Anyone with recommendations for a decent brand of pads?

If I wind the wrong way, can I retrace the step , and wind the correct way?

Thanks.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 12:23:20 PM »
You can rewind either way.

charles yates

• Approved Member
  • reformed derver
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2018 1.3 jazz se
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 09:50:55 PM »
I use ceramic brake grease for all brake parts. - as recommended as best practise.

When winding back calipers (Mark 2 Jazz), I remove pads, place tool and engage on cylinder and wind in anti clockwise. If it is very stiff, a light spray of any silicone based lubricating fluid (non oil) on the edges of the cylinder helps. I use rubber grease on cylinder walls when wound in fully.

Replaced mine twice in nine years (Hilly country with some steep descents and sharp corners means rear brakes operate hard for prolonged periods - one hill is 0.5miles and descends c 150 meters. )
ive just changed my rear pads and did the discs at the same time its a pretty straight forward job and although i have the rewind tool i was able to rewind just using a large screwdriver, i tried this method as i wanted to check how easy the piston moved ,the piston was rewound fully and the pads inserted in the caliper a few hard presses on the brake pedal and the pads were set also a few pulls on the hand brake to check before making my mind up to adjust the handbrake cable which i did ,i do like my cable a bit tighter than recomended ,i have done both jazz's that my wife and i own and am confident that a slightly tighter cable than in manual is good for devon hills and my drive cos when i 1st bought my 2018 jazz it ran away with the handbrake fully applied and hardly any gradient on my drive ,thesalesman tried to tell me its normal for a jazz to have a "poor"handbrake ,,he is a complete tosser ,ps handbrake was adjusted with wheel jacked
'

davejazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 10:07:39 AM »

Many thanks for the ceramic and silicone tips.
I am ready to fit now, (sorry about the pun), just need a recommendation brand for pads.
The only thing that I must have, is OEM.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Tags:

anything