Author Topic: First Car (split from MK1 MPG topic)  (Read 2212 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
First Car (split from MK1 MPG topic)
« on: June 25, 2021, 12:11:01 PM »
I recall taking my motorcycle test, about 1953, on a push bike, fitted with a Minimotor, which was a 50cc engine with a roller driving on the back tyre! The emergency stop was when the examiner stepped out into the road, about 20yds ahead of me.
Went on to ride a Dot 197, finishing with a Matchless 500 twin, before moving on to my first car, which was a 1930 Morris Minor chassis with a 2 seater ash/aluminium body, which I built myself. (Photo attached)
Those were the days, can't see that happening today.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
Re: First Car (split from MK1 MPG topic)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 02:12:02 PM »
I recall taking my motorcycle test, about 1953, on a push bike, fitted with a Minimotor, which was a 50cc engine with a roller driving on the back tyre! The emergency stop was when the examiner stepped out into the road, about 20yds ahead of me.
Went on to ride a Dot 197, finishing with a Matchless 500 twin, before moving on to my first car, which was a 1930 Morris Minor chassis with a 2 seater ash/aluminium body, which I built myself. (Photo attached)

Great pic!  8)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 11:40:23 PM »
my first car, which was a 1930 Morris Minor chassis with a 2 seater ash/aluminium body, which I built myself. (Photo attached)
Brilliant photo, thanks for sharing.

Did it take you long to build? Many a tale to tell about that car I'm sure.

I've had my fair share of interesting motors with lots of amazing stories, but I've never built my own car!  :D :D :D

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 09:37:34 AM »
Many thanks for your kind words, Westy36.
The car was brought as a complete rolling chassis, for £5 and I think the build took about 4 to 5 months with a little help from my Dad. Engine was a 847cc SOHC, and used to smoke like a man on Woodbines!
I'm afraid by present day standards it would be considered a death trap, there was no MOT in those days, no seatbelts and the brakes! 4-wheel cable, with no servo, I soon learnt to keep my distance from the car in front, something which I still do.
And the girl in the photo, went on to be my wife of 59 years.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 10:51:25 AM by Kenneve »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 04:55:08 PM »
And the girl in the photo, went on to be my wife of 59 years.
So she is a keeper then?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 07:42:17 PM »
Brilliant stuff. Motoring sounds like a different world back then for sure. In my 32yrs as a driver I've seen a lot of changes, but the roads must be unrecognisable to when you started driving.

59yrs! Fantastic.  :D Must have impressed her with your ability to handle a barely safe car with dodgy brakes!

My first car was a 10yo Morris Marina 1.3 estate. Terrible car, but I loved it to bits. Your first car will always be special. Reversed it into a post on day one, and had a proper crash within a week. Typical 17yo then!  :D :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:45:28 PM by Westy36 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 07:51:06 PM »
I started with a 1956 Vauxhall Wyvern. Three-speed column change and no synchromesh on 1st (which you needed to change into on the move).

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »
Nissan Cherry 1983, very simple, straightfoward car, lovely to drive, a great first car.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 08:49:48 PM »
My first car was an Austin A35 which had better ability to go than stop (small drum brakes all round and no servo assistance). It did a consistent 36mpg irrespective of how it was driven and the 5 gallon fuel tank made the effective range about 150 miles between refills. The Zenith carburettor was a bit temperamental to the extent I only needed a bit of moonlight to see well enough to get it off the engine and taken indoors for a clean.

Here's a photo of the car in front of my first house which, at £8,750, cost 100 times more than the car. The A35 was superseded by a brand new Allegro Estate (more wife and child friendly) which, contrary to general opinion, was a trouble-free vehicle. The A35 then lived in my garage for many years as a planned retirement project but when retirement arrived I no longer fancied the challenge and it was sold to someone else as a restoration project who, coincidentally, lived only a few miles from the address of the first owner.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 08:51:36 PM »
Nissan Cherry 1983, very simple, straightfoward car, lovely to drive, a great first car.
My parents had a Cherry Coupé for a few years, not realising when they got it that it was classed as a sports car for insurance purposes.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 09:25:00 PM »
My parents had a Cherry Coupé for a few years, not realising when they got it that it was classed as a sports car for insurance purposes.

Was that the Datsun Cherry Coupé?  I seem to remember one of my friend's mother had one.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 09:27:26 PM »
I started with a 1956 Vauxhall Wyvern. Three-speed column change and no synchromesh on 1st (which you needed to change into on the move).

Bet you still remember how to double declutch changing down to first gear,  I know I do....    Sort of do it on bikes as well ( although they are constant mesh gearboxes ) - blip the throttle when downshifting to try and match revs and give transmission an easier time,  and also engine braking on bikes is much more pronounced than in a car, - they fit 'slipper clutches' to bigger bikes that allow some 'slip' when rear wheel is driving the engine,  otherwise rear wheel can easily lock up when doing a sloppy downshift.

Can change up the gears on a bike without touching the clutch as long as not accelerating too hard...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 09:29:32 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 09:44:59 PM »

By the standards of the late 1970's the Cherry Coupe was a bit sporty looking, I'm not sure if it had a bog standard engine?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 10:05:04 PM »
I used to be able to change up and down in the car without using the clutch, but I don't know if I still could (or would want to). I was taught to double-declutch from day one as my dad was an ex lorry driver. When I went for my assessment for suitability to learn to drive a bus we were out in an old manual coach and I surprised the assessor by double-declutching going both up and down the box. I used to be able to heel and toe but now my ankles wouldn't let me try that!

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 11:42:26 PM »

Bet you still remember how to double declutch changing down to first gear,  I know I do....    Sort of do it on bikes as well ( although they are constant mesh gearboxes ) - blip the throttle when downshifting to try and match revs and give transmission an easier time,  and also engine braking on bikes is much more pronounced than in a car, - they fit 'slipper clutches' to bigger bikes that allow some 'slip' when rear wheel is driving the engine,  otherwise rear wheel can easily lock up when doing a sloppy downshift.

Can change up the gears on a bike without touching the clutch as long as not accelerating too hard...

Yep. I got that down to a fine art to the extent that it felt just like a foot activated quick shift paddle auto. Brings back memories :)

Tags: