Author Topic: Help with engine knock sound  (Read 1450 times)

bluehands

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Jazz 1.4 ES Man
Help with engine knock sound
« on: June 21, 2021, 01:41:40 PM »
Hi all,

Hope someone can help identify an engine knock that has just developed on my 2009 (early Mk2) 1.4 manual Jazz.  Managed to capture it and upload to YouTube.  Quite noticeable at 00:12 but also prominent towards the end of this clip.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Help with engine knock sound
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 02:49:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  :D

I suspect that is just a very slightly noisy 'neutral'. Can you get someone to press the clutch pedal in to see if the sound disappears?

Droneranger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 iDSi SE GE3 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 02:50:49 PM »
Is your engine oil low ?

bluehands

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 03:22:27 PM »
Thanks both for a quick response, will try both suggestions this evening and report back.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 03:34:28 PM »
Sounds to me like: rattling timing chain.
Low oil pressure/no oil/wrong oil/just serviced and wrong oil/ filter... ??

bluehands

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 07:36:04 PM »
Ok, additional info:

• Noise present in or out of gear and whether clutch is in or out
  • Appeared to rise with revs but difficult to determine
  • Seems easier to hear from in the cabin, but not sure if I am hearing things :)
  • Oil was halfway between marks so topped up but no change in tone, rhythm or volume
  • Car was serviced back in October at a national 3 letter chain having previously always been serviced by a main dealer

Although the car was serviced in October, it was driven very infrequently during the winter and spring.  I have only noticed the noise appear this weekend following a long-ish trip of 2:30h.  On the basis of the above and other comments in the thread so far, it may be worth me popping to the main dealer on Saturday morning for an oil change to rule out incorrect grade oil and non-OEM filter.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:37:58 PM by bluehands »

Droneranger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 iDSi SE GE3 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 10:21:53 PM »
I would not bother with a new oil change at this time. You should though take the to car to a garage and ask someone to have a listen.
I would avoid Honda dealers in the first instance, they always want to charge money for everything, unless you have a good relationship with them.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:53:36 PM by Droneranger »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 09:43:55 AM »
IMHO if it were anything to do with the wrong grade oil used by the fast fit cetnre, then you would have known about it already. The noise would be consistent.

OK, so if the clutch in/out is making no difference, I am thinking perhaps it is something like the drive belt tensioner or alternator on the way out.

The manal covers how to check the belt auto tensioner. http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html

Find a decent indi garage, it dosn't need a main dealer to diagnose and the saving in labour rates will be huge.

bluehands

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »
Thanks all for the latest suggestions, I'll step back from the oil change and pop to my local indy in the next few days and ask them to take a look.

bluehands

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 05:29:08 PM »
Well local garage reckons the noise is from the top end, likely camshaft related. Advice was drive it until it dies.

Market value as a runner is around £1k so think I’ll be moving it on while it still has some value. Pretty disappointing experience with the marque to be honest. Has only done 90k and serviced on the dot.

Thanks to all for the advice.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 08:02:14 PM »
Have you had the car from new, and who serviced it ?  Full service history is not worth the paper it is written on,  most people who service their own cars know that the work has actually been done ( which is not the case if car serviced by dealer ) and exactly what oil and parts have been used.  Apart from the time i got a free service contract from Honda when I bought a car I have always done my own servicing - I have bought cars with Honda main dealer FSH and the cabin and engine air filters had obviously never been changed and oil filter quite rusty - so that never been changed either. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 10:05:48 PM »
Have you had the car from new, and who serviced it ?  Full service history is not worth the paper it is written on,  most people who service their own cars know that the work has actually been done ( which is not the case if car serviced by dealer ) and exactly what oil and parts have been used.  Apart from the time i got a free service contract from Honda when I bought a car I have always done my own servicing - I have bought cars with Honda main dealer FSH and the cabin and engine air filters had obviously never been changed and oil filter quite rusty - so that never been changed either.
Culzean, you've really got me thinking with that reply. When we hand over our cars to dealerships (and Independents), you hope and pray they will show your car the same consideration we would ourselves. Perhaps, we fool ourselves into thinking that they even give a hoot.

ssashton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
Could this be in need of valve adjustment? Recommended at 90K I read.

Does it get quieter once fully warm?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 12:29:35 PM by ssashton »

wlo

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz 2004 1.4
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 08:55:40 PM »
Try to switch AC and see if noise disappears?

Tags: