Author Topic: What is your favourite malt whisky?  (Read 1915 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
What is your favourite malt whisky?
« on: June 20, 2021, 05:17:37 PM »
Today being Father's Day, my son gave me a bottle of malt and it got me thinking. There must be some malt whisky drinkers on the forum. What is your favourite malt?

For me it is Ardbeg. Any Ardbeg is a joy to drink and a nice 10-year-old tickles my pallet. Other Islay malts are tasty as well though for me Ardbeg tops them all.

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
Re: What is your favourite malt whisky?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 06:45:35 PM »
I’m partial to a drop of aberfeldy

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 06:58:40 PM »
I have never been a whisky drinker which is sad having lived in Scotland for four years. We have visited several distilleries and were always surprised at the size of the samples given out during the tour, enough to put you over the driving limit.
I'm a heathen, I like Jack Daniels or I did before I discovered that any alcohol triggers my migraine, the same goes for cheese and chocolate.

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 07:05:56 PM »
I'll happily force a JD over my neck if I must. Tried "Gentleman Jack" but not that impressed.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 07:36:49 PM »
Not a big drinker nowadays but I do like the occasional Southern Comfort.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 07:56:05 PM »
A few years ago ( not many!) had a stay for 4 days in Orkney. Took a tour at the Highland Park distillery, and the sample at the end was so very nice. Was staying at a bed and breakfast at Evie, and the owner had problems with the internal phone cabling. I had a look and he was obviously pleased. He opened a large cabinet of Highland Park. All sorts and all ages. Help yourself. That was the best whiskey I have tasted. Not a fan of the peat flavoured from the West, but it's a horses for courses thing, and there is no right answer ! Just like engine oil....

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 08:03:47 PM »
It was Southern Comfort that got me started drinking neat spirit. Once I started to drink neat whisky I really started to appreciate their subtleties. Prior to that, I drank whisky and lemonade and it was the brand of lemonade that decided the flavour! Now I drink malt whisky with a spot of water (and I mean a spot - no more than a raindrop). This is my drinking set-up.

JamtartJazzman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz XE Navi
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 08:16:05 PM »
Today being Father's Day, my son gave me a bottle of malt and it got me thinking. There must be some malt whisky drinkers on the forum. What is your favourite malt?

For me it is Ardbeg. Any Ardbeg is a joy to drink and a nice 10-year-old tickles my pallet. Other Islay malts are tasty as well though for me Ardbeg tops them all.

Back in the day, the present Mrs and I hitched from her home up north back to Embra. We got stuck at the southern outskirts of Perth. (This was before the M90 motorway was completed.  That's how far back this was!)

Anyway, a Triumph 2.5 Ti stopped for us.  He caned the car over the Wicks o Baiglie and then hit over the ton on the motorway down to the old bridge.  I loved it.  The Mrs was less keen!

The chap then turned and said in a classic Anglo Scot drawl ... "I'm going on to a dinner paaarty in the Boarders.  If you like, I'll give you a lift on if you don't mind waiting while I change into my DJ?" 

We agreed and he took us to a mews flat near Stewarts Melville school.  As he got changed, he shouted out ... "DO help yourself to a drink." Sure enough there was a decanter with a solid silver chain and label on it and a brace of Edinburgh crystal glasses.

Oh well, it would be rude not to ...

Suffice to say, this malt was like angels dancing on your tongue!  Without doubt, my favourite malt! Ever!

I forgot to mention.  The driver's name was Smith.  Of J and JG Smith.  The malt was a special cask which had been laid down to commemorate  the 150th anniversary of the Glenlivet distillery which was celebrated that year.

I did say it was back in the day!

JamtartJazzman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz XE Navi
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 08:18:58 PM »
A few years ago ( not many!) had a stay for 4 days in Orkney. Took a tour at the Highland Park distillery, and the sample at the end was so very nice. Was staying at a bed and breakfast at Evie, and the owner had problems with the internal phone cabling. I had a look and he was obviously pleased. He opened a large cabinet of Highland Park. All sorts and all ages. Help yourself. That was the best whiskey I have tasted. Not a fan of the peat flavoured from the West, but it's a horses for courses thing, and there is no right answer ! Just like engine oil....

Highland Park 12 YO.  A fine dram!

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 08:41:25 PM »
Yes, if you can afford it, then the Highland Park good stuff is right up there.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 08:44:31 PM »
I've never been a whisky man. I tried the free sample when we visited the Glenmorangie distilery in 2011, and recalled the expression of 'fire water' that I believe the native Americans used. Very appropriate! Not for me, and certainly not neat.

These days, either vodka or gin and diet tonic for me. Currently enjoying some Russian Standard vodka, very smooth. Zubrowka is another favourite. Gin, I do like Gordons Sicilian lemon, very nice.

I prefer to drink red wine and beer, but spirits with diet mixer contain a lot less calories. So, V+T for me!  8)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 10:33:26 PM »
Aldi Glen Marnoch Speyside single malt - very drinkable IMO and currently only £16.49 per bottle https://www.aldi.co.uk/speyside-single-malt-scotch-whisky/p/068322237384704 .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 10:01:14 AM »
The supermarkets own brand malts are quite good. Whether it be Glen Campbell or Ben Doon they are all of an acceptable standard. Even their "Blended" malts are a tasty tipple. Prices in Scotland are higher as we have our minimum pricing per unit of alcohol.
Asda does an "Island Malt" and a "Speyside Malt" so you can choose by region.
Years ago a manager of mine, who had come from the whisky industry, raved about Laphroaig and suggested I try it. I thought it tasted like burnt rubber. However, I bought a bottle and by the time I was on my second I loved it. Definitely an acquired taste.
Cask strength whiskies are great, sometimes as much as 60% vol.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »
Growing up my Dad was a whisky drinker, mostly blends like Teachers of Famous Grouse. I never really took to them. Anyway, in the early eighties I had a deal for free accommodation provided you had your meals at the hotel. I chose to stay at the Log Cabin Hotel at Pitlochry. I took my mate with me whose style was, shall we say, a little effeminate. We asked for twin beds but were given a family room with a double and a bunk bedroom for kids to use. The first night in the hotel, we were treated quite oddly by the staff, who clearly thought we were a gay couple. We had a flower on our table, seated by the window for the romantic view, but the bar staff were really 'off' with us.

The next day all was different. No flower. No table by the window and 'different' service. The bar staff however were really friendly. When we asked what was going on, they explained they thought we were gay, but hold been told by the housekeeping staff that we had clearly slept in separate beds as one of the bunk beds was used. We had a big laugh, they were embarrassed and promptly offered us a free whisky or two.

I explained I wasn't a whisky drinker and they vowed to convert me. So I had a 'nip' from every whisky that had, which was more than a dozen! This had the obvious effect on me of being badly ill in my bed and needing to tip the maid substantially in the morning to clean up my mess. And that experience put me off whisky for a long time.

About ten years ago I won a bottle of 41 year old Bunnahabhain. One of only 719 bottles, distilled in 1968 and bottled in 2008. I think it was worth about £150 when I won it and I did not want to waste it on my palette, so I put it away and forgot about it. A couple of years back, I had it valued at between £600 and £700. Now I REALLY don't know what to do with it. It's worth more than my old Jazz!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 12:35:40 PM »
When we were up in Arran in September 2019 (last real holiday!) we visited the Lochranza Distillery. I bought a bottle of Arran 10 year old single malt - lovely - would have bought half a dozen bottles if I had had the foresight!

Tags:

anything