Author Topic: Enjoyment of driving the Mk4 Jazz  (Read 14287 times)

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
Re: Enjoyment of driving the Mk4 Jazz
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »
Think you are missing the point.  The regulations apply to EU cars exactly the same.  Nothing to do with tariff restrictions.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2021, 02:22:03 PM »
Think you are missing the point.  The regulations apply to EU cars exactly the same.  Nothing to do with tariff restrictions.

I never said tariffs, I said non-tariff barriers, which can be a lot sneakier than tariffs.

Well the EU the motor industry is hand in glove with regulators ( hence the blind eye that was turned on diesel emissions until USA blew the whistle and 'dieselgate' blew the gaff ). The regulators know the tech that their car industry ready to implement and makes regulations for it, the EU ( read German )  car industry write the regulations and EU commission rubber stamp them.  The EU car makers ready to go because they wrote the regulations, the non EU car makers normally take a while to catch up and in the meantime have problems selling cars in EU,  and when the non EU competition has caught up, time for some more regulations...

The EU has always used non-tarrif barriers, a lot of them technical to try to limit imports.

https://ustr.gov/trade-agreements/free-trade-agreements/transatlantic-trade-and-investment-partnership-t-tip/t-tip-2
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 02:24:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest10626

« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2021, 08:02:53 AM »
After 1000 miles I still like my Jazz MK4 Ex. I drive it mostly on motorways, about 140 miles per day, except Sat/Sun. My Jazz isn't as loud as stated in some Youtube tests and it's fun to drive. Although I could drive at maximum speed on our German motorways I prefer the "old people" style with about 50 to 60 miles per hour with adaptive cruise control and assisted steering on. All in all I get a fuel consumption of 60 mpg on motorways at 50 to 60 mph.

Driving in the city is also very relaxing. I like the silence while waiting at traffic lights, too. It's my first automatic car and I like it to cruise smoothly through the streets. Twice I tried to use the clutch pedal, which was a surprise for me and the cars behind me :-) But I am getting more and more familiar with the new two pedal world.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2021, 08:30:42 AM »
I always say to people going to a 2 pedal from a 3 pedal to take your left shoe off. It helps as a reminder that you don't need your left foot.

However, I see frequent posts from people who use both feet on autos and it sends a shiver as unless you are 100% confident then it can aid wrong pedal crashes and permanent brake lights not to mention premature pad wear.
Let's be careful out there !

guest10626

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2021, 09:58:22 AM »
I always say to people going to a 2 pedal from a 3 pedal to take your left shoe off. It helps as a reminder that you don't need your left foot.

However, I see frequent posts from people who use both feet on autos and it sends a shiver as unless you are 100% confident then it can aid wrong pedal crashes and permanent brake lights not to mention premature pad wear.

I went further after your post: I cut my whole left leg off to save precious time. Well, it works! I really don't need my left foot anymore. Thanks a lot ;->

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2021, 02:00:37 PM »

I never have a problem changing between auto and manual vehicles, and have never used left foot braking, it is dangerous, the best your left foot can do is bash your nose on windscreen.  You should never want to brake and accelerate at same time.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2021, 02:17:51 PM »
You should never want to brake and accelerate at same time.
Unless you're doing doughnuts in a go kart.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2021, 02:28:39 PM »
I never have a problem changing between auto and manual vehicles, and have never used left foot braking, it is dangerous, the best your left foot can do is bash your nose on windscreen.  You should never want to brake and accelerate at same time.

I fully agree. Here is one guy who just won't be told that it's dangerous and here is his theory:

It should immediately be apparent that left foot braking has far more potential for benefit in an automatic car than in a manual, as having one foot do nothing while another does two things is at the very least inefficient.

Left braking makes sense in an automatic, and depending on who you talk to, may even be safer. Mistakenly pressing the wrong pedal in a given situation is responsible for a surprising number of accidents – and is believed to be hugely underreported as instances are often bundled under driver error along with everything else.

Having one foot on each pedal would drastically reduce the likelihood of this happening as you have a constant feel of where each pedal is, with no need to find it again hastily during a developing situation.

There is also a slight benefit in the reduction in time it takes get a foot onto the brake pedal in an emergency. Those saved fractions of a second it takes to move your right foot from the accelerator to the brake could make all the difference.

He just won't be told !
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 02:32:05 PM by Kremmen »

guest4871

« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2021, 05:42:00 PM »
My wife recently did a double doughnut in reverse in an automatic.

She didn't mean to!

Women!  ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2021, 07:31:41 PM »

I fully agree. Here is one guy who just won't be told that it's dangerous and here is his theory:

It should immediately be apparent that left foot braking has far more potential for benefit in an automatic car than in a manual, as having one foot do nothing while another does two things is at the very least inefficient.

Left braking makes sense in an automatic, and depending on who you talk to, may even be safer. Mistakenly pressing the wrong pedal in a given situation is responsible for a surprising number of accidents – and is believed to be hugely underreported as instances are often bundled under driver error along with everything else.

Having one foot on each pedal would drastically reduce the likelihood of this happening as you have a constant feel of where each pedal is, with no need to find it again hastily during a developing situation.

There is also a slight benefit in the reduction in time it takes get a foot onto the brake pedal in an emergency. Those saved fractions of a second it takes to move your right foot from the accelerator to the brake could make all the difference.

He just won't be told !

Every auto I have driven the brake pedal is massive, very hard to miss.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2021, 03:47:54 AM »
I drove my first auto in about 1972, an Austin 2200 my boss leant me. I loved it from first drive and I've been buying auto's ever since.

I find I can get a far better driving position not having to floor a clutch. It's also natural to me to just use my right foot for both pedals.

On the occasions my company used to loan me a pool car for client visits it was invariably a manual and driving them reminded me how much I hate them.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2021, 09:33:01 AM »
Now I am used to all the idiosyncrasies of the Jazz I love it....... ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2021, 07:42:36 AM »
Same here, the thread title is spot on :D

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2021, 11:06:42 AM »
I've seen posts on this forum which seem to suggest that the use of the brake, going downhill or whatever, during the regeneration mode, adds to the effect and increases the charge in the HV battery.
No, I believe the exact opposite happens, since energy is used up by the brakes, leaving less available for regeneration.
It would be interesting to know, whether Time and/or Speed come into the equation, by that I mean whether going down a hill slower, hence taking longer, makes any difference?
In fact what are the optimum parameters, for extracting maximum charge, from a given regeneration situation?

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2021, 11:27:11 AM »
I've seen posts on this forum which seem to suggest that the use of the brake, going downhill or whatever, during the regeneration mode, adds to the effect and increases the charge in the HV battery.
No, I believe the exact opposite happens, since energy is used up by the brakes, leaving less available for regeneration.
It would be interesting to know, whether Time and/or Speed come into the equation, by that I mean whether going down a hill slower, hence taking longer, makes any difference?
In fact what are the optimum parameters, for extracting maximum charge, from a given regeneration situation?

On other hybrids I've driven it was easy as you had a regeneration gauge - braking within the regen zone didn't use the friction brakes but once you had maxed out the regen then you would be wasting energy as heat through the normal brakes.

I think Honda have got things right with the programming though - removing all these gauges as just driving the car normally gets you better mpg than others get without having to think about it.

One complaint of competitor cars was that when people drove them for the first time they didn't get brilliant mpg - they were then told they had to adjust their driving style to the car.

Whereas with the Jazz, Honda has done all the work so you don't have to adjust to the car at all.

Tags:

anything