Author Topic: Enjoyment of driving the Mk4 Jazz  (Read 14561 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Enjoyment of driving the Mk4 Jazz
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2021, 09:46:09 AM »
Hi Guys.
It's me again, having now passed the 3k miles since purchase, it seems I'm still doing around a 1000 miles per month, most of it purely for pleasure.
Fuel consumption still appears to be very good with the following results. (see attached pics)
The overall figure at 3073 miles is an average of 68.9mpg.
The last tank refill at 246 miles is 72.4mpg'
Today I did my usual trip from Solihull to Stratford-on-Avon and, for the one way trip (14miles) recorded 91.5mpg.
However I have to admit, that for roughly 4 miles of that trip, I was stuck behind a farm tractor, going flat out at about 29mph !!

It seems the biggest advantage of the eHEV over the pure ICE is in stop/start motoring .
The vast majority of my driving is done in 'B' mode, except where I need to use ACC. The 91mpg figure was in also ECO mode, although I don't really think its make a lot of difference, but it does take the edge off performance.

Now I know that in the UK, the Jazz is regarded as an old persons car, but I have to say, with the much improved acceleration of the MK4 due to its EV power, I am tempted to take on the 'boy racers' on occasion, with somewhat surprising results ( for them!)

My only gripe is still with the so called safety gizmos, where I occasionally forget to disable the RDMS and where  the ACC puts the brakes on, when approaching a parked car.
Otherwise for me, it is still the best Jazz so far.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2021, 10:00:46 AM »
Mostly in B but the power meter only half way up, is that normal ?

Only 25 days to go ............
Let's be careful out there !

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2021, 10:30:34 AM »
Yes, the power meter varies, from generally 3 bars minimum, to 9 or 10 bars depending on use and terrain.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2021, 11:01:55 AM »
Hard motorway driving (like over the top of the Pennines on the M62 in driving rain at night) will drop the MPG like a stone. I only got 49.5MPG for that one. City driving MPG depends on the hilliness of the area.

It varies considerably. I've had 102.1mpg reported for a short trip where the HV battery started out with a good charge. The return journey was about 65mpg.

Around the suburbs I drive in B with the limiter set to 30mph. (I do not use the auto-limiter. Too many false readings from side roads with 20mph zones.)

Knowing I have plenty of torque from the leccy motor, I've often felt the temptation to leave some four-ringer or Battenburg cake in the dust at traffic lights.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2021, 11:06:18 AM »

Knowing I have plenty of torque from the leccy motor, I've often felt the temptation to leave some four-ringer or Battenburg cake in the dust at traffic lights.

Like it!!

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2021, 11:48:03 AM »
It's actually a good sign that the consumption can vary so much. This shows that the system is making the most of the circumstances where it can save fuel. Running in conditions where it is essentially an ICE vehicle (fast motorway etc) will inevitably mean similar consumption to those, but they don't get the advantages in the stop/start urban environment.
It's working.  ;D

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2021, 01:51:48 PM »
On the minus side it did initially feel heavier than other cars I've driven.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2021, 04:26:36 PM »
On the minus side it did initially feel heavier than other cars I've driven.

Yes, it is heavier, 11% to be exact, but to my mind it's of no consequence, about the same as an extra passenger.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2021, 08:51:07 PM »
I enjoy driving the Crosstar a lot - would say its even fun to drive  ;D ;D

if I had an ibiza id be worrying about not enough space

if I had a corsa, id be worrying that I looked like a $rick - which may be true anyway, oh, and resale values

if I had a polo, id be worrying about it being vanilla and short on tech

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2021, 10:23:55 PM »
Maybe the press's idea of "fun to drive" is something where you have to pay close attention or you'll end up in a ditch or worse. I would call the Mk 4 Jazz "easy to drive".
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2021, 10:37:16 PM »
Don’t you think that driving has changed dramatically over the past 50 years but road testers haven’t? Most road tests are concerned about acceleration, cornering at the limit and 'fun'. Whilst for the vast majority of the time we are all in traffic and cars are now so advanced that they all (or virtually all) have good handling and reasonable acceleration and we are more concerned with comfort and meeting our needs in terms of economy, looks, family space and in-car entertainment. I remember the fun of just going for a drive but those days are long gone, now for most a car is another white good. Sad really

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2021, 05:10:58 AM »
Yep, my driving style has changed dramatically and when I took the test drive I didn't try to see how fast it was or how quick it got there. I just used my typical laid back style and I was very pleasantly surprised by how the Jazz performed.

I do agree that the tech can be a pain though, I wonder what NCAP's next driving hindrance will be.
Let's be careful out there !

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2021, 09:43:47 AM »
Yep, my driving style has changed dramatically and when I took the test drive I didn't try to see how fast it was or how quick it got there. I just used my typical laid back style and I was very pleasantly surprised by how the Jazz performed.

I do agree that the tech can be a pain though, I wonder what NCAP's next driving hindrance will be.

Many of the up coming requirements will come from the next revision of the General Safety Regulation.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/cmsdata/155060/PPT%20General%20Safety%20Regulation.pdf

Many of these items, Honda are already applying, but some basically become mandatory fitment to all newly type approved vehicles.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2021, 11:08:14 AM »
Many of the up coming requirements will come from the next revision of the General Safety Regulation.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/cmsdata/155060/PPT%20General%20Safety%20Regulation.pdf

Many of these items, Honda are already applying, but some basically become mandatory fitment to all newly type approved vehicles.

Strictly speaking that looks like EU regulations but I have no doubt the UK will also comply as it make sense.  It looks like Honda are well ahead of the game though.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2021, 11:15:24 AM »

Strictly speaking that looks like EU regulations but I have no doubt the UK will also comply as it make sense.  It looks like Honda are well ahead of the game though.

I think all these complex tech regulations dreamed up by the EU are just 'non-tariff barriers' - a lot more insidious and hidden than the overt tariffs.  Non tariff barriers  are normally technical regs that mean you cannot sell your goods in a country ( in this case the EU ) without meeting the standards,  and keep raising the standards ( AKA moving the goalposts ) to limit imports.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: