Author Topic: Catalytic converter theft prevention  (Read 3847 times)

4wheels

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2007 1.4 iDSI MK II
Catalytic converter theft prevention
« on: March 03, 2021, 03:11:24 PM »
Still feeling my way around this great forum site!
I'm sure this has come up before, but I need help please. I live in London and have just bought a Honda Jazz 2007 1.4-DSI SE CVT-7 and realise now that it's top of the list for theft of cat converters. I've looked online for hours for locks which help prevent thefts and have whittled it down to three types, as attached. Are any of them any use?  ???

It seems the Cat Clamp keeps coming up as the thing to buy, and from www.catsafe.org.uk, but that site is "NOT SECURE" and the product is exclusively licensed to Fleet Talk... which doesn't exist!  There are companies in the US which also sell the cage type protectors but I've no idea if they would fit my Jazz (they state: "Adjustable for common diameters 1-3/4" to 3" exhaust pipes" - which is all Greek to me!).

Anyone out there who can help please?

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
Re: Catalytic converter theft prevention
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 06:11:02 PM »
There's  a garage in Harrow do two layer protection which is that cage and the metal shield for around £250 including parts n labour.
I'm going to go there at the enx of this month to get mine done.
Do you want their number?

4wheels

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 07:09:59 PM »
Wow, that sounds a good idea and a good price as it includes fitting. Two deterrents have got to be better than one! Have you heard that it works? Yes, I'd like the number please, thanks.

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 07:42:59 PM »
Ive ciome across about them when searching for a garage who does these..
Ive asked him how good are they and he said nobody had complained so far and apparently they sre very popular in London for this job...
Those were the pictures what the owner of the garage had sent me.

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 07:45:12 PM »
Pls ignore the red arrow on one of the pictures.

4wheels

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 11:52:57 AM »
Thanks very much, I'll check them out.

Robato

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 05:21:37 PM »
Hello Just bought my Jazz too 2-3 days ago.. and will need any suggestion to deter cat theft. Please help

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 10:50:37 AM »
Im near North London and most Honda dealers freely carbe a security number on your cat for free here and then gives you x2 window stickers saying it has a cat protector.
Once this has done Ive take the car to a garage in North London who are well known for installing x2 layer cat protection.  1st the cage goes there and after the guard on top of it. They charge around £230 for this.
Additional to this ive also bought x2 stickers from Ebay saying the car has a tilt sensor to put ppl away. Ive also installed a little solar security led light which flashes as night time hoping ppl will think it has an alarm...
Fingers crossed for myself  lol

Hello Just bought my Jazz too 2-3 days ago.. and will need any suggestion to deter cat theft. Please help

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 04:12:34 PM »
although it looks scruffy the stainless steel cable one maybe the best.. some guy was showing it on u-tube and even the grinding cutter wouldnt touch it.

Robato

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 11:34:10 AM »
Im near North London and most Honda dealers freely carbe a security number on your cat for free here and then gives you x2 window stickers saying it has a cat protector.
Once this has done Ive take the car to a garage in North London who are well known for installing x2 layer cat protection.  1st the cage goes there and after the guard on top of it. They charge around £230 for this.
Additional to this ive also bought x2 stickers from Ebay saying the car has a tilt sensor to put ppl away. Ive also installed a little solar security led light which flashes as night time hoping ppl will think it has an alarm...

Looks like a very good deterent but what if in the future and I will need to replace my exhaust due to corrosion after putting the guard? Do you think another garage wouldn't have no problems with the steel wire and they can put back the protection as effective as before once done with the exhaust replacement?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 12:02:03 PM by Robato »

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 03:44:18 PM »
[I just rung the garage who did my two layer cat protector. He had said there's no need to touch the guard at all if for any exhaust repair as they are only covering the Can leaving tge exhaust open for any work. Hope this helps.
He also mentioned they charge £60 to remove the protectors if ever needed

quote author=Robato link=topic=12885.msg105816#msg105816 date=1630751650]

Looks like a very good deterent but what if in the future and I will need to replace my exhaust due to corrosion after putting the guard? Do you think another garage wouldn't have no problems with the steel wire and they can put back the protection as effective as before once done with the exhaust replacement?
[/quote]

Tags:

anything