Author Topic: Anyone fitted a Teyes Android Unit etc on a UK model Hybrid SE ?  (Read 8308 times)

AshimotoK0

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE Hybrid 2023
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 11:32:11 PM by AshimotoK0 »

JazzyJayyy

• Approved Member
Re: Anyone fitted a Teyes Android Unit etc on a UK model Hybrid SE ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 02:25:31 AM »
I've tried fitting a very similar (non teyes, generic brand) unit

The headunit is NOT symetrical between RHD and LHD cars, despite looking like it at first! The curves on either side are different, with one reaching higher up than the other. On the LHD model, the right hand side is higher, and every fascia thingy I can find is made for this version.

As far as I can tell, nobody produces the frame the 10" screen fits in for RHD cars yet. There's various places advertising them as for the honda jazz (rather than fit), but I've yet to find one that fits, and I've been actively looking.

The TEYES unit you've linked, does have a preview of what's included in the 3rd picture - it's low resolution, but the "OEM Panel" there, is clearly for the LHD version, and the first picture also appears to be LHD (you can juust see the power button / indictor on the left), so I would not trust this to fit.

AshimotoK0

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 10:02:13 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply.

That's a real shame ... I assumed they would produce a RH version as the Japanese have RHD.

I would fit the Honda unit from a scrap car  (as in the EX) but totally unsure if this is possible.
'
I will ask Teyes support anyway and report back.

JazzyJayyy

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 11:38:17 PM »
Did another search (I've been checking every month or so) and a seller claiming to actually have RHD fascia has *finally* turned up, so maybe they do exist now!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006393241869.html

I've just ordered this to fit my unit, but since it's aliexpress it won't be here for a while!

Definately check with TEYES if their unity will fit RHD, if they claim it'll work for either LHD or RHD though, they're mistaken!

Radio unit from the EX has very different connectors on the unit (I looked into this option before eventually ordering my generic android unit) - attached a picture of what I managed to work out from looking at ebay listings for parts etc, but almost all the connectors seem different :(

As for installing the TEYES unit, it should mostly be the same as mine (hardware is identical, software will be a bit nicer on the TEYES one over the generic unit) - The dash is a bit of a pain to pull apart to get it in, but not too bad. The unit itself should have adaptors for the existing cables that just connect in, and then for the extra antennas etc it's just a matter of finding somewhere inside of the dash to hide them

If you decide to get the cameras with it, considering getting them fitted professionally, they're a bit of a nightmare to route the wires back to the radio!

Didn't take many pictures of the process to fit it, but the main part is removing the piece of trim below the radio the get to the various screws that hold in the radio - definately get some plastic trim removal tools to help take this off, as it requires a decent bit of force and you don't want to rough up the edges!

AshimotoK0

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 07:39:21 AM »
Wow ! ... seems I have found a soulmate who  will undoubtedly  save me a lot of heartache.

Teyes customer support is pretty good and I message them. So lets see what comes back.

In the meantime a big thank you !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 08:27:29 AM »
...Does this mean telling your insurance company about the change and Honda voiding your warranty?

Easier for most people to avoid unnecessary faff and buy the car with the equipment they want in it from the start  :-X

AshimotoK0

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 01:50:21 PM »
...Does this mean telling your insurance company about the change and Honda voiding your warranty?

Easier for most people to avoid unnecessary faff and buy the car with the equipment they want in it from the start  :-X

Nanny state reply if you ask me.

JazzyJayyy

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 02:05:04 PM »
Shouldn't void warranty for anything other than what's modified, i.e. will void the radio warranty, but since you're not using that anyway, oh well!

Worth telling your insurance about. Might make a small difference to premiums and some of the cheapest policies wont want to cover it. Confusingly when I was switching insurance I asked some about this who in their cover, covered aftermarket audio / radio up to £300, who then claimed they wouldn't insure it with modified radio. Larger insurers are a lot more reasonable!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 03:20:13 PM »

Nanny state reply if you ask me.

...Any excuse to get out of a paying insurance or a warranty will no doubt be taken by said companies.
Personally I don't care what you do but if I was your insurance co. or Honda then I might.
Crack on.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 11:35:01 PM by shufty »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 03:52:42 PM »
I'd be interested to know how the third party unit integrates with all the car info that gets sent to it from the car, which on the latest Jazz and stock headunit is quite considerable I would think

I wouldn't perform that sort of change until the car was well out of warranty. Any electrical gremlins and you'd probably be on your own

Best of luck though
Let's be careful out there !

JazzyJayyy

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 04:06:24 PM »
The radio on the SE unit (it's just a simple radio / bluetooth reciever) doesn't have all of the fancy integration the higher trims do, that all stays on the behind the wheel display, so it's no loss really!

(The SE unit & replacement units do still have simple CANBUS integration, so things like the volume up/down button on the wheel will all still work as expected with though)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 04:10:40 PM by JazzyJayyy »

AshimotoK0

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 08:47:23 AM »
Looking into this it seems that decent insurance companies actually favour the addition of reversing camera's/sensors and Sat Nav. OK I agree it's advisable to tell them though.

On the subject of warranty... I am not daft . If there was an electrical problem I would simply put the original radio SE back before taking it to any main dealer.

The Teyes unit does have the option of 360° cameras and this does involve excessive drilling etc. It's not an option I would be personally fitting so not a problem. I mainly want the advanced  Android App's without having a unit which is highly nickable.

I have been an electronics design engineer for 40 years so quite capable of doing any of the electrics and I wouldn't mess with the vehicle wiring unless it was a like-for-like connector swap or using a suitable adapter which does not involve cutting any original wires.

On the subject of buying the car in the 1st place with the Honda Infotainment system...  it was a VERY expensive option for me ..i.e. well over £4k !! The SE car was delivery miles (actually 7 miles) and had been fitted with black alloys and extra paint on the white pearl main colour by the Honda main dealer, which was a real bonus. It's actually my wife's car and she didn't want heated seats blah, blah so over £4k was a lot to pay.

Anyway .. how good is the Honda system as fitted to the EX etc?  How up-gradable is it and at what cost? Would be interested to hear.

AshimotoK0

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 10:26:33 AM »
JazzyJayy
I got this back from Teyes Tech support. What do you reckon?
https://www.teyes.com.au/products/honda-jazz-4-fit-4-gr-gs-gr-gs-2020-2024-right-hand-drive

JazzyJayyy

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 03:01:05 PM »
Huh, did they update the whole listing after you asked them? I swear the one you linked orginally didn't explictly say "LEFT HAND DRIVE" in the title before, but going back to that link it does now

The right hand drive one you just linked all looks correct though! If yours was the SE radio make sure you get one of the -A variants, if you did want the 360 camera kit, check the notes on the listing for the cameras, it apparently needs ordering together with the >128gb unit.

I had the same thoughts about the price between the EX/SE, couldn't justify the extra cost considering I could just swap the radio out! I do wish I had the heated seats though...

Tags: