Author Topic: Engine noise  (Read 2396 times)

Murdoch

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: New Honda jazz hybrid
Engine noise
« on: November 13, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
Anybody else being literally driven round the bend by the very high revving engine noise when it suddenly kicks in.

guest9814

Re: Engine noise
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 10:25:13 AM »
I did not quite understand when your engine is making a lot of noise, but I can say when the engine can spin up and make noise, on long descents when using mode B when the hybrid battery is already 100% full, and I also noticed that the engine is connected with sharp braking but not for long, in this engine operating mode does not consume fuel

Or you just leaving parking, but have enough battery charge to start in ev mode(engine not working until your battery reach ~30% - 3 bars), then engine starts but because it still cold it`s revs much more then usual until reach it`s working temp.

Murdoch

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 10:56:05 AM »
Thanks Roman.

Most owners on this forum seem to comment on how quiet the petrol engine is when in use.

What really spoils the car for me is how high the engine intermittently revs even at very low speed.
Driving around town in particular is very annoying when the car goes from a very pleasant driving experience to high revving unrefined petrol growl & then back again.

Driving up hill is a nightmare.

The wife described it as the car being stuck in second gear & being thrashed to within a inch of its life.
I just wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same driving experience.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 11:10:11 AM by Murdoch »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »
Have you taken your car back to the dealer to see if there is a problem or discussed the issue with them?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »
John Ratsey writes: The engine spent the majority of its operating time running at around 2000 rpm but occasionally went as low as 1600 rpm while it got up to about 3500 rpm climbing a 1 in 6 (15%) hill.
Hardly high revs.
Murdoch's car sounds like it is an issue and needs Honda's input. What was the car you test drove like?

Murdoch

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 12:03:58 PM »
I have taken the car back to the dealership & they report that everything is fine & it’s just the way the car is.

I did have a twenty minute test drive in a demonstration vehicle & I was obviously impressed.
With hindsight I think the mistake I made was not driving through built up areas where we drive at various speeds according to traffic etc.

For me it spoils a otherwise really good car, so looks like I will be new car shopping earlier than expected.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 12:10:29 PM »
While that quoted comment was written after one of my first trips it still applies. The only occasions I notice the engine noise are either during hard acceleration or going up a steep hill. On most of my trips the engine, when running, is barely audible but I would expect that the engine will move into the noisy range (above around 3000 rpm) more frequently if the vehicle is driven agressively. It's possible that the Econ mode (which I've always had enabled) reduces the tendency of the engine to move into the noisy range as that also is less efficient.

The only way I could think of getting the engine into the noisy range during town driving is by agressive acceleration towards the next obstacle. Perhaps try a lighter touch on the accelerator pedal?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest9814

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 12:18:15 PM »
For going uphill you need huge ammount of energy for electric motor 109 hp that moving your car
More power you request more revs ECU request from gasoline engine for generate energy needed to power electric traction motor.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 12:25:28 PM »
A further thought: What is the battery gauge showing when town driving? Is it often only two or three bars on the gauge? Perhaps try using B mode when town driving plus gradual deceleration when approaching the next obstacle. This should get more charge into the battery so it can provide more power when next accelerating.

Also, what mpg are you getting on the town trips? Once the engine is warm 70 mpg shouldn't be difficult to achieve.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Murdoch

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 12:31:55 PM »
Yes often 3 bars & averaging 63 miles to the gallon.

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 10:53:54 PM »
Smoothest ride I've ever had.
By being light on the throttle and let it glide at a decent speed while the hybrid system does it thing, the engine is barely noticable.

Of course, if you ask for immediate power, it can get noisy. So does the Yaris, a tad less perharps.

A very relaxing car in daily use, close to what I'd expect from a EV.

Unless you have the tuned one, which is quite an oddball:

:D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 07:51:10 PM by Foksadure »

Tags:

anything