Author Topic: Condensation in Crosstar  (Read 6347 times)

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
Condensation in Crosstar
« on: November 06, 2020, 11:39:53 AM »
Hi All. First frosts of the year. Outside heavily coated in frost - remover with cold water - OK. Get in car - inside dripping with condensation. Started up - set front demister on - couldn't handle it - after 10 minutes still dripping - had to wile excess water off with towel - then demist took over. Anybody else had problem - maybe its because its a new car and little lived in yet? Ideas. Engine was running.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Condensation in Crosstar
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »
Wet carpet?
Water in boot due to leak? Water under carpets due to failed window /door seal?

Only times I have had condensation like that was in the 1960s when a stone smashed  Austin A35 windscreen  and I drove home 40 miles in pouring rain. Took a month to dry car out in winter.. (Banffshire)

Definitely something wrong.

MRCLICKCLICK

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:37:19 PM »
No - not carpet's etc - just on inside of windscreen. In my last HRV it demisted within a few minutes. Been online etc - looked at manuals - not a great help.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 01:42:11 PM »
Very odd to get this before you've powered up. I know you can get windscreen misting from the dash top vents before the heater kicks in.

Are you running the aircon to help keep the inside dry ? Only asking because some turn it off in Winter thinking it 's only there to blow cold air.
Let's be careful out there !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 01:58:06 PM »
I suspect that the underlying problem is that the hybrid system means that it takes a long time, if ever, for the engine to warm up properly when the weather is cold because the engine may only be running for half the time (depending on the operating conditions - town driving needs a lot less power on average than the open road) and the cabin heating grabs whatever heat is circulating. Using the heated seats shoud help with the general cabin warmup.

In my opinion, Honda made a mistake in not designing the electrically-powered air conditioning system to run in reverse as a heat pump and they also seem to have missed the next best solution which would be a heating element under the windscreen vents so there is instant warm air. I thought that Japanese winters were cold but maybe they are a dry cold, with minimal condensation problems, rather than the damp cold that we get here.

I would suggest that you email Honda UK customer.serviceuk@honda-eu.com explaining your experience and asking for a solution. If nothing else, this makes them aware that there's a problem. In the mean time, a silica gel dehumidifier https://www.amazon.co.uk/Netagon-Portable-Dehumidifier-Condensation-Eliminator/dp/B08L5B9J4W could be a work-around.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

MRCLICKCLICK

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 02:52:58 PM »
Thanks thoughts. I see what happens over next days - I do have a windscreen cover - which I didn't use that night - so will see what that does.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Let's be careful out there !

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 04:44:52 PM »
Hi All. First frosts of the year. Outside heavily coated in frost - remover with cold water - OK. Get in car - inside dripping with condensation. Started up - set front demister on - couldn't handle it - after 10 minutes still dripping - had to wile excess water off with towel - then demist took over. Anybody else had problem - maybe its because its a new car and little lived in yet? Ideas. Engine was running.
I think internal condensation only occurs when the car is full of warm moist air when parked and then the air temperature drops sharply.  An external windscreen cover won't stop this.  I think you have to mop it up with a cloth or sponge and then rely on the car's A/C to keep it clear.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 05:04:19 PM »
Condensation normally affects all windows equally. If it was just the windscreen I would consider the cold water you used to deice it. I never use water. If I have time I let the demister do it. If I am in a hurry I scrape it. Don't use water next time and see what happens.

caperora

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz I-VTEC EX NAVI
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 07:36:54 PM »
Had similar problem in my mk3
Condensation literally running down inside of windscreen
Dealer found no leaks or issues now put moisture absorbent pack in car during winter months seems to sort problem

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 07:43:24 PM »
I switched my aircon on when I bought the car and it has never been switched off since.

Air holds moisture.  The hotter the air is then the more moisture it can hold.  When air cools down it will reach the point where it cant hold any more moisture, i.e. it is 100% capacity (Known as 100% Relative Humidity).  It will get to this state when it comes into contact with a cold surface (such as the windscreen), at which point some of the moisture condenses.

When air passes through the air conditioning unit it cools down, reaches 100% RH, and sheds water, hence the pool you sometimes see under the car.  On entering the less cold car, it heats up and can then hold more moisture, hence the condensation on the screen is absorbed.

So with the air conditioning on you are effectively bringing dryer air into the car.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 08:55:26 PM »
My last three cars, were all bought new.
 As in, probably, standing around for some while, before sale. In all weathers.

All three cars, (Yaris, Jazz, Jazz), misted up, much more than any previous car. Until they were a few weeks old....
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 09:55:34 PM »
It also depends on the state you leave the car in.  If it is humid and warm in the car, then that moisture has to go somewhere as the cabin cools down.  Best to let cold air into the car before you lock it up for the night.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 10:47:56 PM »
I’m entering my fourth winter with my hybrid. No issues with the heating. I generally have my climate control set to 22C and auto. The engine will run immediately to power the aircon, heat demand and heated seats, before I move anywhere. This car heats up way faster than all of my previous diesels and about the same as my petrol 2013 Jazz.

I strongly suspect it’s a combination of being a new car maybe (?) and pouring cold water on the windscreen. Especially the cold water, given your windscreen was the only glass to get the condensation. My technique is a couple of sprays of de-icer and then scrape, or leave it to the car.

MRCLICKCLICK

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 10:11:54 AM »
Thanks all - I think probably you all have given reasons why it happened - so hopefully as time goes on and I chance some of by behaviour it will not occur again.

Tags: