Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?  (Read 175446 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2016, 04:28:14 PM »
There was a major incident down south a few years ago where supermarket fuel contaminated with silica caused failures of oxygen Llambda sensors on many vehicles.

Base stock is pretty standard, the additive package is added to tanker as it leaves the depot, once the destination is known.  Ethanol reduces the energy density of petrol while increasing its octane rating.

I love the comment of a scientist comparing petrol with diesel,  he said petrol is a highly refined product and we know exactly what is in it and how it burns (fully) where diesel is not too much far removed from the oil that comes out of the ground and no-one is sure what is in it and how much,  and it burns and produces all kinds of nasty stuff - bio diesel actually produces more NOx than the stuff 'refined' from crude oil.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2016, 05:43:33 PM »
From Peteo48

Interestingly, Greenergy, who supply Tesco with petrol and diesel have recently signed a deal to supply Esso with petrol so this indicates that the dividing line between branded and unbranded must be virtually non existent.
The key difference seems to be in a better additive package in the higher octane fuels.

Their website is worth a glance.

Vic.

http://www.greenergy.com/

Yes - I often look at it being a bit of a nerd. They do seem very transparent as a company. Not many of the other companies publish their fuel data sheets. What's also interesting are the slight changes in the chemical makeup of the fuel from batch to batch.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2016, 03:53:19 PM »
I suggest that Greenergy supply fuel to various outlets such as Esso and Tesco made to whatever recipe a particular contract specifies.
In other words the 95 octane petrol supplied to Tesco isn't necessarily the same as that supplied to Esso etc so there is still the possibility that different fuels have different qualities.

Vic.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2016, 05:04:07 PM »
Yes - that may be true as well! I assume the fuel data sheets relate to Tesco fuel but also fuel supplied to other forecourt outfits like NISA etc etc.

Somewhere there is a reference to supplying "Esso quality" fuels to Esso outlets. Unfortunately those data sheets aren't published as such so I found myself wondering if that meant they supplied quality fuel to Esso outlets or whether the fuel had specific Esso qualities.

Difficult to get any genuine information about these products. I can't, off hand, think of any other commodity where the consumer is kept largely in the dark about the "ingredients" so to speak except, perhaps, Coca Cola.

Informed choices not easy.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2016, 07:31:11 PM »
All the petrol refined in the UK is produced to meet British and European Standards BS EN 228 for 95 octane unleaded and BS EN 7800 for Spuer unleaded. Oil companies are not going to waste money refining crude oil to a higher spec than necessary so you can be sure the base petrol is much the same no matter where you buy it from. The difference between brands is with the additives added to the base petrol that help clean inlet valves and fuel injectors. Some brands also claim to have friction reducers. The additives are added to the fuel as the tankers are filled at the fuel depot and are added in very small amounts, parts per million. Although added in very small amounts the oil companies claim this is enough to make a difference and the major brands that have their own development teams seem to have the evidence to prove their claims. Smaller suppliers and independents use industry standard additives supplied by an international automotive chemical company.

Wherever you buy you fuel you are getting a product that is of a higher quality that any thing available in the past. Years ago once a car had covered 40000 miles the cylinder head would have to come off for decarbonation. With the advent of fuel injection and pressure from car manufacturers and emission legislation the oil companies have had to up their game.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:33:32 AM by Pine »

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »
I don't understand people who distrust supermarket fuel, it's not like own brand baked beans vs. Heinz.

My now retired father was with ExxonMobil Special Products division for 30 years, and was witness to the start of supermarket petrol.  Back when producers & refiners still owned distribution networks Esso won the contract to run the fuel side of Tesco filling stations, fuel companies only own a small proportion of the total filling stations; now most forecourts are run under brand licence and operators tend to have diverse portfolios of Esso, BP, Shell, Texaco etc. stations.

As the majors retreated from retailing & distribution to concentrate on production, wholesalers/distributors such as Greenergy have stepped in. As Pine says, the 'blend' is made one stage prior to tanker fill, the suppliers to the mix are determined more by price and availability than by company hierarchy. There is no direct link between the crude from a Exxon oil well to the fuel on an Esso forecourt.

Fuel additives vary more by season & region than by brand purely for climate.  The guys in QC at the labs will tell you there is more variation in tap water than in a basic rated fuel between suppliers.
--
TG

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2016, 07:38:03 PM »
Impressive from a 2012 model?

Not really, unfortunately.   I reset my trip meters while on the move a couple of days ago and it immediately jumped to 119mpg.   By the time I could safely stop to take a photo it had dropped to this.   Normally I achieve the same MPG as many others...

guest5247

• Topic Starter
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2016, 08:26:10 AM »
Impressive from a 2012 model?

Not really, unfortunately.   I reset my trip meters while on the move a couple of days ago and it immediately jumped to 119mpg.   By the time I could safely stop to take a photo it had dropped to this.   Normally I achieve the same MPG as many others...

Wow !!.. how on earth did you achieve this , cant get anymore than 44 out of mine.

Mines EX 1.4 2014 with 11k miles.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »
Wow !!.. how on earth did you achieve this , cant get anymore than 44 out of mine.

Mines EX 1.4 2014 with 11k miles.
You can do better, temporarily. Go to the top of a long hill, build up some speed, reset the meter, cruise down to the bottom and check the mpg.

You will see that the distance for that mpg is only 0.5 miles.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2016, 05:04:51 PM »

I too was surprised until I read the post  :D

guest5247

• Topic Starter
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »

I too was surprised until I read the post  :D

Lol....nice one. :P ;D had me for a while

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2016, 10:38:12 AM »
I do some ''drag races'' as well  , mainly with the busses, or a car I can see that is even slower than a jazz-not many cars like that exist tho...
If its moving slower then you are faster
I've found that if I do come across anyone who wants to do that they always slow down so much for turns and roundabouts
Had an experience with some Audi guy
He thought I wanted to take him on because I over took him and didn't slow down for the roundabout
My reason was efficiency
His was just being an Audi guy

A couple of years back, I was heading South on the M1 and came off at Jn 21(?) to go down the M69 towards Coventry. The roundabout is traffic controlled and there was an Audi TT parked at the front of the queue in the middle lane but the outside lane was clear. I was decelerating from motorway speeds and didn't want to stop for the lights so I stayed in the outside lane behind a Mazda and by the time we reached the lights we were still doing 30mph and they changed, so basically, I got the jump on the TT and then on the roundabout, whilst indicating and knowing the way was clear, I moved over into the middle lane.

What I hadn't counted on was his indignation at being jumped at the lights by a Jazz, so he had roared away from the lights and was closing the gap I was moving into. Needless to say, I continued my manoeuvre and then we all had to stop again on the roundabout just before the exit to the M69. So Mr. TT swings around alongside me, in the wrong lane for him, just so he can remonstrate at me from his car. I flashed him the V sign and told him to f-off, at which point he pulled his car slightly across the front of mine and got out - just as the lights changed!

So I just drove round him and his car, laughing visibly at him as he stood there looking sheepish, and headed off down the M69. 30 seconds later, he comes alongside me and starts making ramming movements towards my car! Several times. My reasoning was that he did not actually want to damage his precious TT so I just ignored him and carried on in the inside lane at 70, and after a few more angry arm waves and ramming movements he drove off, at high speed.

I am not saying all Audi drivers at the same, but I think all male TT drivers might be. In my head, the only thing I did wrong was wind him up when he pulled up alongside me. I should have just smiled at him and doffed my cloth cap!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:43:50 AM by richardfrost »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »
I am not saying all Audi drivers at the same, but I think all male TT drivers might be. In my head, the only thing I did wrong was wind him up when he pulled up alongside me. I should have just smiled at him and doffed my cloth cap!

you will find drivers of larger German cars are easily wound up as basically they believe other (in their view lesser) cars are trespassing on 'their roads'  - they either already have one or catch an Ayrian ' Deutchland Uber Alles' mentality from the badge on their car.

German cars have their own lanes at roundabouts that have no dividing lines in them,  so they think they can just wander across the road without looking or indicating,  they have their own motorway lane ( the one nearest the central barrier) - they will overtake when traffic is coming the other way and never back off even when a head on collision is inevitable if someone doesn't give way - they expect the approaching driver to brake and pull into a hedge to clear 'their' road.

German badges definitely bring out the worst in the owner, and that means they attract 'road rage' as other road users give them a hard time and so the circle continues :'(

I know company car drivers who have almost committed suicide when offered a Volvo or Lexus instead of a BMW - just doesn't look as good on their driveway.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2016, 10:24:20 PM »
Did you see these antics of one of those German sets of wheels http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35673488 ?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JohnnyJazz

• Topic Starter
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2016, 09:11:54 PM »
Just changed from Jazz ES 2011 - covered 15000 mies at exactly 50 mpg indicated, (probably 45-46 mpg actual).
Had Jazz Si 2013 for one week and covered 200 miles so far at 49.6 mpg indicated. Just filled up for first time and on 3 mile journey home was reading 64 mpg - 5 speed cameras!

Tags: