Author Topic: Jazz Mk3 Handbrake adjustment.  (Read 14237 times)

johnda

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz MK 3 S 2016
Jazz Mk3 Handbrake adjustment.
« on: January 03, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »
 :-[ Has anyone had to adjust their Mk3 Jazz Parking brake?
I have tried removing the rear screw and the 2 front (side) plastic plug screws on the centre console. It is still held on by something and I don't want to 'yank' it in case I break something. Any clues anyone?? :-[
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:46:56 PM by johnda »

guest1372

Re: Jazz Mk3 Handbrake adjustment.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 05:34:43 PM »
This post might be a bit ignored in the diy-guides section, but Richard should move it into the Mk3 general section soon.

On a 2016 warranted car I'd have thought this type of adjustment would be done at the dealer or on it's next service, should be a zero cost item anyway if required.
--
TG

johnda

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz MK 3 S 2016
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:11:28 PM »
Hi TG,
For a simple thing like adjusting a handbrake it would be nice to familiarise myself with how to get at it. I just need to know what the centre fixing is. Is it a pull off job or is there a sneaky Honda secret screw. My 2 previous Jazz's Mk2 and Mk2 facelift it was easy and I could do it in about 5 minutes. My driveway is on quite a slope and I would like to give the thing a quick tighten to my own satisfaction at home rather than the hassle of leaving it with a dealer for half a day or more.

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »
Much in agreement with you Johnda, but sadly I can't give you the answer.  On a Mk1 they have the hidden centre fixing for the console, it would not surprise me if there was a similar arrangement on the Mk3 in the absence of any visible alternative.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 04:35:22 PM »
Much in agreement with you Johnda, but sadly I can't give you the answer.  On a Mk1 they have the hidden centre fixing for the console, it would not surprise me if there was a similar arrangement on the Mk3 in the absence of any visible alternative.
--
TG

on both MK1 and  2 the adjuster was inside the car at back of console between seats,  on these you only had to undo a couple of screws and the rear of console lifted up to give access to adjuster,  would be surprised if they altered this for MK3 (although on older cars the adjustment was under the car  :-X )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 08:49:13 AM »
Really do you have to adjust the handbrake on a Jazz?
Really Honda does not use self adjusting brake calipers?
 :o :o

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »
Really do you have to adjust the handbrake on a Jazz?
Really Honda does not use self adjusting brake calipers?
 :o :o

They are self-adjusting inasmuch as any disc brake is,  that the pads only withdraw enough to clear the disc (or not  :-X  disc pads do not have return springs like brake shoes do to pull them away from the braking surface,  and because of this pads are always rubbing on the disc).   You still have to allow for the wear of pad material,  which means the operating lever on the brake itself changes position even if the gap between pad face and disc face does not get larger,  and there is also stretch in the cables to account for, which is the biggest reason for adjustment being required every so often.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:02:22 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »
The handbrake on the jazz is self adjusting by a a mechanism within the rear brake caliper piston. The operating lever for the handbrake on the caliper must return to its "off" stop for the adjuster to work. Tightening the handbrake cables will lift the lever off its stop and the handbrake will not self adjust. There are lots of videos on the tube showing the rear calipers and how to wind back the piston adjuster to replace the rear pads.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:44:14 PM by Deeps »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 09:41:48 AM »
The rear brakes on the jazz are self adjusting by a a mechanism within the brake caliper piston. The operating lever for the handbrake on the caliper must return to its "off" stop for the adjuster to work. Tightening the handbrake cables will lift the lever off its stop and the brakes will not self adjust. There are lots of videos on the tube showing the rear calipers and how to wind back the piston adjuster to replace the rear pads.
Right, I've seen one of it. The self adjusting mechanism is present even in the GD Jazz (infact, when you change the pads on rear calipers you have to PUSH AND ROTATE the piston, while in front calipers you only have to push it), so the handbrake should never  be regulated.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:45:25 AM by jazzaro »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
You have to compensate for stretch in cable, Honda specify 6 clicks on handbrake max, if you have more than that the handle is coming up too far and you may run off end of ratchet. I have never seen a handbrake without adjustment for cable stretch. After you have adjusted you need to Jack back wheel off the floor with handbrake off and make sure wheel rotates freely (the brake is not binding). Unless the cable on mk3 is made from unobtainium and never stretches it will need the normal threaded adjuster in the cable to effectively take the stretch back out.  when you leave handbrake on there is tremendous tension on the cable.

You have to wind back piston on any disc rear brake,  that is not peculiar to mark 3. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:51:31 PM by culzean »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »
"After you have adjusted you need to Jack back wheel off the floor with handbrake off and make sure wheel rotates freely (the brake is not binding)."

Obviously you are referring to drum brakes, the Mk3 has discs. The critical check is that the handbrake lever on the caliper is on its "off" stop.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:52:43 PM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
"After you have adjusted you need to Jack back wheel off the floor with handbrake off and make sure wheel rotates freely (the brake is not binding)."

Obviously you are referring to drum brakes, the Mk3 has discs.

So disc brakes can never bind ? I have adjusted handbrake on jazz mk2 and civics and it is good practice to Jack a wheel up to ensure wheel spins freely when handbrake is fully released.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »

So disc brakes can never bind ? I have adjusted handbrake on jazz mk2 and civics and it is good practice to Jack a wheel up to ensure wheel spins freely when handbrake is fully released.

Adjust your brakes any way you want, please don't drive behind me. :o
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:24:31 PM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
The lever on rear brake will go back to its 'off' stop even if there is no cable attached to it, now following that train of thought if there is a cable attached with too much slack in it (because it has stretched due to the tension placed on it when handbrake is on, i.e. most of the time), when you pull the handbrake handle the system has to take up that slack before the lever on the brake begins to move,  that is why number of clicks on handbrake is stated, because if you have too many clicks the handbrake can run out of teeth on the ratchet.

I have been fixing cars and motorbikes from about the age of 14, never managed to rear end another vehicle yet - practical experience, not theory or YouTube.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »
I am also of the fix it yourself or walk generation. :-)

Tags:

anything