Author Topic: Autonomous vehicles.  (Read 53550 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Autonomous vehicles.
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2020, 06:32:06 PM »
Earlier in the summer, a German court ruled that Tesla was exaggerating their claims and that "Autopilot" created the false impression that the car can drive itself.
The manual for Tesla Autopilot clearly states what it can and can't do and that the driver must be in control of the vehicle at all times. Driver deaths in these cars are just natural selection.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/business/tesla-autopilot-germany.html

Funny to hear musk bulling up their autopilot when it has been involved in quite a few collisions, what happened to the requirement to keep hands on the steering wheel ( which a five year old could bypass with a $5 eBay device....the system so obviously not fit for purpose... ( and anyway Germans want to get their own back for dieselgate ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2020, 08:23:21 PM »
Earlier in the summer, a German court ruled that Tesla was exaggerating their claims and that "Autopilot" created the false impression that the car can drive itself.
The manual for Tesla Autopilot clearly states what it can and can't do and that the driver must be in control of the vehicle at all times. Driver deaths in these cars are just natural selection.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/business/tesla-autopilot-germany.html

NO - repeat no - or very few - drivers of a new-to-them car are going to read a car manual cover to cover. Usually 500 pages plus.

And if they did read it, what are the chances of them recalling the key bits.

KISS must be the principle - and if a function claims to be one thing in publicity but is different in practise  - then it is potentially fatal..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2020, 09:40:26 AM »
KISS must be the principle - and if a function claims to be one thing in publicity but is different in practise  - then it is potentially fatal..

Eggszackerly  :-X   from the marketing hype it would be easy to think autopilot is autonomous vehicle control,  instead it seems to be a glorified adaptive cruise control that can roughly follow white lines ( but when the lines disappear watch out ) and without auto braking.  Musk spurned the Lidar due to cost and Tesla cars already have more cameras than David Bailey but cameras can only see visible things ( and then only sometimes it seems )..

At the moment Tesla autopilot is probably the same as a 95 year old driver with cataracts ( or maybe Prince Philip ).

Apparently there are 3 levels of reboot on a Tesla,  two official ( soft and hard boot ) where you park the car put brake on and press various combinations of buttons and the third ( unofficial one ) one called 'ludicrous reboot' that some Tesla tech accidentally discovered where you take the cable off the 12volt 'life support' battery for 30 seconds - why did it take Tesla techs so long to discover that,  pretty much every computer will reboot if you take its power away and reconnect it..... Be a good idea to turn the world off and then on again and see if it makes it better...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:46:19 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #198 on: December 08, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »
Uber have seen the light and abandoned attempts at fully autonomous vehicles - they have seen that it is a fruitless venture and could only ever be low speed vehicles on closed tracks.... now they are going to let some other company waste billions..

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/7/22158745/uber-selling-autonomous-vehicle-business-aurora-innovation

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #199 on: December 08, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »
Mind you; they are investing $400 million in Aurora so they cannot see it as totally fruitless.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2021, 12:48:46 PM »
Just started reading an interesting book, "The Passengers", by John Marrs. He was the author of "The One", which recently was turned into a Netflix series. (Netflix has only used the idea and the book was far better).
"The Passengers" deals with self-driving cars. "Eight self-drive cars set on a collision course. Who lives, who dies? You decide."
It has started as a cracking read (£1.99 for Kindle).

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2021, 09:31:17 AM »
Thoughtful piece in The Register on the human interface issues - and the legal implications - of Automated Lane Keeping Systems (which may or may not be some form of semi-autonomous driving):
https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/16/automated_lane_keeping_systems_feature/
Excerpt:
"Transport minister Rachel Maclean said that ALKS may improve road safety by reducing "human error", however we have work to do to ensure drivers understand their personal responsibility when operating a vehicle fitted with such advanced driving assistance systems, and that their trust in the system is appropriately calibrated to its capability.
There is not enough evidence that drivers understand the limitations of ALKS, and it is the behaviour of the driver engaging with the system in a manner for which is it was not intended that is likely to lead to problems. "

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2021, 10:02:19 AM »
Is that not the issue with most of the Tesla crashes?

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2021, 03:34:52 PM »
Is that not the issue with most of the Tesla crashes?

True. The Tesla "autopilot" system is not hugely different to the ACC and LKAS on the current Jazzes, except that Honda have added some things that make it demand driver steering input.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2021, 01:42:19 PM »
An astute correspondent to the esteemed Viz magazine makes an excellent point as to why driverless vehicles might not be quite so successful as the manufacturers suggest...

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red

culzean

• Approved Member

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2022, 04:09:49 PM »
Sounds like my ACC  ;D
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2022, 10:38:13 PM »
I see they are about to start tests of a full size (single-decker) driverless bus running between Edinburgh and Fife. They hope to be carrying passengers by the summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-61216302

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2022, 05:10:24 AM »
IMO autonomous will end in fatalities. Recent history has proved that. Just takes one sensor failure or reduced coverage due to weather, etc.

Just wait and see I suppose. Will autonomous be able to detect a frail passenger and wait till they are seated.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: