Author Topic: What are the best tyres for Honda Jazz EX?  (Read 7506 times)

CutieJazzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 - Honda Jazz EX 2022
What are the best tyres for Honda Jazz EX?
« on: January 10, 2024, 11:03:14 PM »
One of my tyres got a metal nail stuck in it and caused the tyre to deflate.

I thankfully was able to get a repair done on the tyre, but the mechanist did ask me if I wanted to change to a new tyre for only £60.

I’m a new driver and never done that before, so I rejected that offer, and just went ahead with the repair instead.

He did mention that there’s no guarantee on how long the repair would last for (he said could be a year, could be months or even less). So I have been thinking maybe I need to get my tyre replaced this month.

If I do need to get my tyre replaced - what type of tyre should I go for? Any tips? Would it be weird if one tyre was different to the others?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
Re: What are the best tyres for Honda Jazz EX?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 12:49:53 AM »
I suppose the original summer tyre of Jazz is Yokohama BluEarth ES32 in size 185/55R16, if your Jazz has 16" wheels. (Check the markings on your tyre's sidewall.) It's possible to order one tyre yourself online, if the mechanic doesn't have the same brand in his workshop. For example here:
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Yokohama/BluEarth-ES-_ES32_/185-55-R16-83V-BluEarth/R-340214

However, I would personally just continue driving with the broken tyre that the mechanic has repaired, and see how long the repair lasts. If it fails soon again, maybe try another mechanic next time. If it still fails again, maybe then I would consider buying a new tyre.

If the tyre starts leaking air again, and I'm on the road, I could use the air compressor located behind the right side wall panel in the boot of Jazz to top up the tire enough, so that I could drive it to a repair shop again. If the air leaks too fast, then the tyre sealant that is next to the compressor, could be used as well, but I'd like to avoid it because it makes a mess inside the tyre, that the mechanic then has to clean up, and I'd also need to buy a new replacement bottle of sealant for £ 30:
https://www.care4car.com/tyre-accessories/continental-compressor-and-tyre-sealant-kit.html

Also if the original tyres are already very worn out, I'd be a bit worried to replace only one of them with a new tyre. New tyres often have maybe 7 mm of tread depth. Before buying any new tyre, you should check the tread depth of your old tyres.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 01:19:02 AM by ahavoja »

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 10:25:02 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the Yoka Blue earth tyres. It was fitted to the Jazz for a reason, tested by Honda and proved to be a good economical all round tyre.

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 10:57:26 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the Yoka Blue earth tyres.
Except that they regularly lead to bad test reviews of the Jazz because of (too) long braking distances.  >:(

It was fitted to the Jazz for a reason...
Because it has low rolling friction and thus helps with the WLTP-rating.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 05:03:00 PM »
Let’s not forget the tyres are the only item keeping you gripped on the road . Even if you only get 15,000 miles out of tyre that’s a nominal cost per mile compared to fuel etc . I always use Michelin tyres

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 09:58:58 AM »
CutieJazzie mentioned being offered a new tyre for £60.  This sounds too cheap for a 185/55/R16 and would probably be a budget quality 'no name'.  Although some mid priced tyres might give quite good performance ,its especially  important not to mix a budget tyre with a premium quality  tyre on the same axle. 

Although I dont think its necessary to replace this repaired tyre until it wears out  the time will come when you may need to replace worn tyres.    Beware of  going for the cheapest option . If you simply go into   a tyre depot and ask  for tyres they will suggest whatever they have in stock. They may only stock one premium option and one  budget option.   Both will be whatever the company can get at a good price, not necessarily the best.  If you know which tyres you want they may be able to order them within a  day or two.      But you may get a better price  and bigger choice by shopping round the on-line tyre dealers . They use local tyre fitters, maybe even that one. 
My local  tyre depot is a fitting agent for Asda, who advertise  tyres  on line.   I once  popped in and asked about an Asda offer. They said if I went to them directly they could undercut the Asda price  ;)

You have asked for recommendations  but depending on your annual mileage you might not actually need new tyres for some time yet.  So its best to ask again,  or do your own research, nearer the time .   New 'improved' tyres come on the market regularly and prices can vary daily depending on wholesale stock levels.  If there is not much difference in performance  between two premium brands the deciding factor may be price. Certain tyres may be on special offer.     
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 10:08:47 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 03:55:43 PM »
After reading this thread, I am concerned. I had a slow puncture and the dealer changed the tyre to a Sumitomo BC100 which is a summer tyre, whereas the previous tyre was a Yokohama Blue Earth all weather tyre, as is all the other tyres on the car. The tyres recalibrated no trouble though.  Never heard of Yokohama or Sumitomo before I bought the Jazz, always had Continental on my previous vehicles.  Do I change the Yokohama to a Sumitomo, dump the Sumitomo and get a Yokohama or just live with what the dealer has fitted?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 05:52:28 PM »
I assume you requested the dealer to fit the Jazz with all-season tires. The first question that comes to mind is why the dealer chose a no more than reasonable tire like the BluEarth (4S AW21?). Did you indicate a preference for brand/type?
The fact that that dealer replaces ONE all-season tire with a no-name no-quality SUMMER tire like that Sumitomo would be a reason for me to immediately find another dealer!

This is a complete mockery! >:(

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Sumitomo/BC100.htm
2019 Mid Range Tyre Test - 7th of 8 tyres

Positive - None mentioned.
Negative - Long braking in the dry and wet, low wet grip and oversteer balance.
If nothing goes right, go left!

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 08:53:45 PM »
Thanks Jazzik for the link to tyrereviews, I might change the whole lot to Continental AllSeasonContact, like I said Ive always had Continental previously. Continental AllSeasonContact 2 are the top AllSeason tyre but they don't appear to be available in 185/55/R16. Looks like the "2" suffix makes a lot of difference!
The dealer was the Honda dealer I bought the car from, so I assumed wrongly they knew what was best for the Jazz. They always have positive customer feedback, maybe they slipped up this time.
Just checked, the Yokohama BluEarth AE50 is a summer tyre!!  Ranked 121st of 146 Summer Premium Touring tyres.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 09:21:32 PM by CB72 »

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 11:31:19 AM »
If I do need to get my tyre replaced - what type of tyre should I go for? Any tips? Would it be weird if one tyre was different to the others?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Tyres are rated according to Rolling Resistance (fuel economy), Wet Grip and Noise, with A being the best available. These are illustrated using a colour chart similar to those used for rating domestic appliances for energy efficiency.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 02:18:30 PM »
Just a query from reading this thread. My Jazz has Yokohama Blue Earth tyres but I've always assumed they are summer tyres as is standard fitment on most new cars sold in the UK? I didn't know they were "all weather" tyres.

Tags: