Author Topic: Windscreen Washer Fault  (Read 610 times)

RosieHelen

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz I-Vtec Se
Windscreen Washer Fault
« on: November 27, 2022, 04:45:29 PM »
Hi there, our windscreen washer sometimes works as it should for the front windscreen, however it often comes out of the back when it should come out of the front, whilst the front wipers go! Our mechanic is a bit stumped. Any suggestions please?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Windscreen Washer Fault
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 06:46:04 PM »
Welcome. To me, that sounds like a faulty column stalk switch.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 08:13:46 AM »
On many cars the front and rear washers use the same washer bottle and pump,and may share a filter   ,often in the bottom of the washer bottle.   When using the rear washer  the switch reverses the polarity  so the pump runs backwards.  A one way valve  reacts to the change of flow direction  and diverts it to the rear of the car. The valve may be part of the pump rather than separate. 

It could be as Jocko suggests a faulty electrical switch. So its worth checking the polarity  going to the pump.  It might indeed be reversed and the pump is actually running backwards.   . But it might be that the pump/one way valve is  clogged  or faulty and sometimes allowing water to go where it shouldn't oughter  .

I once had a similar problem on my Corsa.  The washer bottle was clogged with slime.  I managed to clear the filter by repeated flushing the bottle out using a hose pipe.   I was then able to unclog  the pump  by  using a  length of pipe to alternately suck and blow water directly into the pump by lung power  . If you try this  be very careful not to get actual washer fluid into your mouth.  Its noxious both from screenwash ingredients and possible algae growth. I avoided this by using a long enough  length of clear pipe,that I  could monitor it was only the fresh water I had filled the pipe with that could reach my mouth. Using a squeezy bottle of fluid might be a better alternative. Or a large syringe such as a turkey baster to alternately suck and blow water flow.  But probably best to avoid using powerful air lines etc.   I was also  aided by the fact  I couldnt disconnect the pipe at the pump end due to fancy connectors.  But I  found a pipe join near the wipers   that was easy to disconnect  and I reverse flushed through part of the cars pipework as well.   In fact my first action was to blow the screen fluid remaining  in the pipe down towards the pump.  This action alone might have been enough to have unclogged the pump, especially if its just debris  jamming the  valve. And it may be an easy diy job that only takes seconds  so nothing to lose by giving it a try first.
I did spend quite a long time doing the whole job .   If you have to pay a mechanic it may be better to look for a good  used replacements rather than spending time on a solution that may not work. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 10:27:05 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 09:55:31 AM »
My Mk 1 Jazz has two separate pumps for the front and rear but I think the Mk 2 uses one so it could be as LV says rather than the stalk switch.

Tags: