Author Topic: Nasty stonechip  (Read 818 times)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Nasty stonechip
« on: November 12, 2022, 08:07:38 PM »
I have just spotted a nasty stonechip low down on the rear door which has gone right down to bare metal and is rusting. I want to treat and try and prevent further rusting before applying a touch up paint. I have some Kurust but I am not sure if this is up to it and whether the touch up paint will adhere properly. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Nasty stonechip
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 08:18:00 PM »
Personally, I am a great believer in Kurust. It was initially developed for sea-washed applications without a top coat—just a couple of coats of Kurust. Kurust must be fresh. I pour it into a small container (aerosol lid) and then throw that away once used. Do not return any unused Kurust to the bottle.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 09:41:37 PM »
Personally, I am a great believer in Kurust. It was initially developed for sea-washed applications without a top coat—just a couple of coats of Kurust. Kurust must be fresh. I pour it into a small container (aerosol lid) and then throw that away once used. Do not return any unused Kurust to the bottle.

Hi Jocko. Yes, I remember you mentioning Kurust on another thread. My other concern is whether it will form a sufficient key for touchup paint. Were you able to paint over it without any problems?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 10:49:32 PM »
Yes. The paint adhered to it with no problem but try not to get the Kurust on the paint around the chip.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 11:38:55 AM »
Yes. The paint adhered to it with no problem but try not to get the Kurust on the paint around the chip.

Great. Think I will use a sharpened matchstick. Thanks.

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 11:57:07 AM »
I bought some touch up "tips" from Amazon which I found easier to load with paint. They are essentially like a fine cotton bud of varying sizes and easier to dab into the hole of the chip.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TQ5HTNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags: