Author Topic: Is it best to use a Honda garage for diagnostics?  (Read 1338 times)

JenniferJazz09EX

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2009 EX silver
Is it best to use a Honda garage for diagnostics?
« on: May 01, 2022, 04:13:27 PM »
This car that I bought is turning out to have stuff wrong with it I think. I want a quality diagnostics done on it. How much should it cost and what should I ask for? Does it need to be a Honda garage?

So far: moves on its own in neutral
Rattles accelerating uphill
Sounds rough after a long drive
Loses acceleration power (slow climbing hills when hot).

Think I have been done over by two brothers who sell cars as independents. They run a car wash and sell cars on the side. Found out from V5 person before me only had it 2 months before he sold it again.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Is it best to use a Honda garage for diagnostics?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 08:03:05 AM »
Diagnostics can be done by any garage. Search or ask for recommendations in your area. Cost, phone and ask a few, main dealers will be more expensive.

You could buy yourself a diagnostic tool/fault scanner. Search the forum and you'll find lots of ideas on which one to buy. Autel OBD scanners are good I beleive.

Sorry to hear your car is causing you problems. As a consumer you have rights when purchasing a used car. They are detailed here https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-reject-a-car-your-consumer-rights/

Before buying a car, you can research the gov website for last v5 issued etc and mot history https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla  and  https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history?step-by-step-nav=58fad183-27f5-4dd9-b51e-696c992373d7

PaultheManc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz Hybrid SR
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 10:57:07 AM »
Moving on its own in neutral and losing power up a hill would sound like a clutch problem to me.

Shantijoe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz ES 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 05:37:37 PM »
Hi
I used a simple diagnostic tool from Amazon for about £22.00
Very easy to use and it spelt out 2 faults with my engine so I knew what to ask for at the garage.

I took it to a Honda garage afterwards for them to test the ECU which may have caused the faults.
Though they had booked it in to test the ECU when I went to collect it they hadn't been able to test it after all!

good luck, joe

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 06:44:02 PM »
Moving on its own in neutral and losing power up a hill would sound like a clutch problem to me.

I was thinking the same.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 10:16:54 PM »
Clutch is engaged in neutral. A car cannot drive forward unless it is in gear. A slipping clutch is blatantly obvious on a hill. The revs go up and the car eventually comes to a halt. With regard to an OBD reader. Unless the car is throwing up a malfunction light an OBD reader will not find anything to report.
Jennifer talks about the blue light coming on. ? I have a Mk 1 and the only blue light I have is the main beam warning. Does the Mk 2 have a blue light for something else?
@Jennifer. Does the yellow MIL come on at initial ignition on? Looks like an engine.

If not perhaps the light is faulty and there are OBD codes to check.

Honda will charge a minimum of £100 to tell you you need to spend another £1000. Get a knowledgeable friend to drive the car for you. Ideally another Jazz owner. If you have to go to a garage go to a reliable back street independent and seek their advice. And don't agree to get work done until you have been back on here.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 08:05:30 PM »

Jennifer talks about the blue light coming on. ? I have a Mk 1 and the only blue light I have is the main beam warning. Does the Mk 2 have a blue light for something else?

Yes, the Mk2 has a blue warning light on the dash to indicate that the engine is cold. This goes off after the car has been driven and the engine is warmed up.

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 05:52:38 AM »
fwiw, it could be an i-shift model?
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 05:46:39 PM »
Yes, the Mk2 has a blue warning light on the dash to indicate that the engine is cold.
So does the Mk 1. I just never considered it a warning light.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 06:27:52 PM »
Yes, the Mk2 has a blue warning light on the dash to indicate that the engine is cold.
So does the Mk 1. I just never considered it a warning light.

Checked this morning and was only lit for about a few hundred yards from start before switching itself off.  Handbook describes it as "Low Temperature Indicator".

Reference bill888's post: if an i-shift model there will be no clutch pedal and clutch engagement is controlled through engine speed. Presume that a fault in the mechanism could result in the clutch trying to engage early?

Tags:

anything