Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 6649 times)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Here we go again
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2022, 02:22:57 PM »
I had never thought about the mpg of lorries before. It's frightening to think that they are only getting about 8mpg.
Although it should be obvious that they are going to be using a lot of fuel.
We get a few Chieftain tanks around here.  I think they do between 8 and 12 gpm :o

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2022, 06:47:18 PM »
..... the figure quoted is an average figure and you've used it to calculate a figure for an optimum situation. ( A 44tonne truck with a 30tonne payload ).
That's probably the case. But it seems a little misleading if they are including small vans, medium vans (Transit size) small and large trucks in order to come up with a comparator for trains. Trains can't deliver to high street retailers or domestic houses. It would be perfectly fair to compare a freight train to a large truck used for cross country transport of goods in bulk since they are more or less in competition.
I'm all for genuine comparisons but not when they compare apples and pears to suggest something which isn't really fair.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2022, 07:31:59 PM »
It was a government report after all.

(lights blue touch paper and stands back)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 07:42:14 PM by JimSh »

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2022, 07:53:20 PM »
It was a government report after all.

(lights blue touch paper and stands back)

We heard the roar from here.....

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2022, 08:44:31 PM »
I wonder what improvement in mpg lorries would get if restricted to 50mph on all roads including motorways.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2022, 09:31:23 AM »
I wonder what improvement in mpg lorries would get if restricted to 50mph on all roads including motorways.

They are at the moment on M6, M56 M62 and M1, AI and A1M ( the roads we used on our trip up to Yorkshire last week ).  Trouble is all the traffic was limited to same speed by roadworks and average speed cameras  :-X Also it seems on many other motorways the same.

Our road network is a real mess, is seems link the proverbial 'painting the Forth bridge' with roadworks, contra-flows lane closures etc. etc.

Mind you it did wonders for MPG on Civic 1.8,  at one time indicated over 49mpg average,  came down a bit over Pennines though, but still over 47 for whole trip of 750 miles ( visited Bamburgh Castle and came back via Matlock )...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2022, 09:50:41 AM »
I had never thought about the mpg of lorries before. It's frightening to think that they are only getting about 8mpg.
We get a few Chieftain tanks around here.  I think they do between 8 and 12 gpm :o

My brother used to drive Chieftains, they have about 200 imp gals onboard, IIRC he said road range of about 120 miles ( which is not bad for a 60 ton vehicle )... The 2 stroke diesel Leyland engine of about 700hp ( which runs at about 2000 revs to give a road speed of about 30mph), was designed to burn pretty much any fuel from bunker oil to vegetable oil - which is a damned good thing in a war zone... obviously off-road in steep terrain mpg takes a hit...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »

My brother used to drive Chieftains, they have about 200 imp gals onboard, IIRC he said road range of about 120 miles ( which is not bad for a 60 ton vehicle )... The 2 stroke diesel Leyland engine of about 700hp ( which runs at about 2000 revs to give a road speed of about 30mph), was designed to burn pretty much any fuel from bunker oil to vegetable oil - which is a damned good thing in a war zone... obviously off-road in steep terrain mpg takes a hit...

Well it was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment but I should have realised that an "expert" would correct me.  The Chieftain has long since been replaced but we still get tanks roaring around these parts.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2022, 04:28:07 PM »

Well it was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment but I should have realised that an "expert" would correct me.  The Chieftain has long since been replaced but we still get tanks roaring around these parts.

Facts are not universally popular - but I kinda like them  :-X

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2022, 05:40:04 PM »
“Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false.” ~ Bertrand Russell

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2022, 06:21:32 PM »
“Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false.” ~ Bertrand Russell

LOL  ;D

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2022, 07:19:21 PM »
Or another one.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2022, 07:28:46 PM »
Very true Jim.  The modern problem is that people Google something and repeat those results in forums as if they were facts known to themselves as an expert.

Nobody can be an expert in everything and not everything found on the Internet is true.  I will only take note of things that are qualified with a source that I can verify.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2022, 10:31:15 AM »
..... not everything found on the Internet is true.  ....
Now you tell me!  :o

... on second thoughts, is that statement true or false?

A bit like "have you stopped beating your wife?"

Problems problems .............. I had a long session yesterday, brain hurts .......

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2022, 10:43:13 AM »
A lot of things promoted by 'experts' are not very good either,  Like 'all fat is bad for you' ( based on a really flawed medical experiment in the 1960's that has been cherished and rigorously implements by medics ever since ) and 'we need to give 5 to 11 years olds the covid vaccine'.... ( thanks goodness the parents seem to have more sense and the take up has been refreshingly very poor ).

Tags: