Author Topic: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue  (Read 16182 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2022, 07:51:11 AM »
Hi sportse
tell me please do you using on both iphones screen time ?
Had same issues with phone not found and disconnects, i switched screen time off, 2 days no issues with CarPlay (iOS 15.4.1)

Thanks.

No, I didn't use screen time on either phone - but checked and found that it was switched on but not set up, so have turned it off.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2022, 09:53:34 AM »
I get the occasional 10 to 30 secs but It's not bothered me.

The issue you have with the phone not connecting has never happened but I'm Android 12.
Let's be careful out there !

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2022, 06:35:48 PM »
Off to France soon - if i use Apple car play I'll have to turn roaming on. Is it going to eat up many pennies - or just stick to regular Garmin?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2022, 06:56:06 PM »
You got your Garmin for free with your EX, so guess what my advice is...
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2022, 07:23:28 PM »
Off to France soon - if i use Apple car play I'll have to turn roaming on. Is it going to eat up many pennies - or just stick to regular Garmin?

TomTom doesn't use much data as you can download the maps on WIFI before you go. You are just using data for traffic.

Unfortunately Honda Garmin doesn't support traffic information in France anymore after 2021 :(

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2022, 05:21:53 AM »
These days, having SatNav without traffic means it's severley crippled.

That's why I installed my Garmin DS61, and, It's been a saver.

Only last week, they closed the M4 between junctions 3 and 4b which wasn't on the Highways England M4 page. As soon as I powered up the Garmin DS61 (and Google Maps) rerouted me.

The onboard Garmin would have taken me straight to a road closure and persisted with U turn instructions.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2022, 12:40:05 PM »
After the update the blank screen issue isn't fixed - if anything, it's actually a bit worse :(

Today when powering up (second time, I hadn't even connected my phone for the first trip) I had:

1) A black screen, then

2) A black screen with the spinning ball

3) The Honda logo, but then

4) Another black screen

5) The briefest flash of a blank menu screen, and the physical buttons on the screen lit up

6) Finally the telematics screen

Around 40 seconds before you could use the infotainment system.

As it's worse after the update, there seems to be some problem that they haven't been able to fix - the update specifically mentioned that black screen issues were one of the items it was supposed to resolve.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 12:42:00 PM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2022, 01:08:57 PM »
This does seem to be software related to me.

After all your tests with unpairing your phone, unplugging any USB devices, the only thing left seems to be to get the dealer to disable telematics as a test.

When you unpair your phone does the TomTom app disappear ?

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2022, 02:41:50 PM »
For CarPlay, the apps are only visible when the phone is connected - beforehand you just have the 'connect phone' icon on the car menu.

It seems to be something to do with the infotainment software/unit as it's done it both with and without a phone connected, as well as different phones.

Telematics was actually disabled by accident a while ago, but didn't seem to make a difference.

When Honda servers were having issues and Honda+ was down for several days, somehow my car had the telematics unit disabled... the dealer tell me the only way this could have happened was by plugging in a Honda dealer laptop and turning it off, yet it somehow managed to disable itself!

I then had to have the whole reenabling telematics done by the dealer - which wiped out my subscription and the app was asking for £80 to switch it back on afterwards! Finally resolved by the dealer and Honda they were able to reinstate the free subscription for new users as well as the remainder of my travel subscription.

The tech on my car has been a nightmare - the engine/mechanicals are fine, it's just the software that seems to be having issues.

Many people don't have issues, so perhaps a bad batch of cars? The last software update was supposed to fix blank screens so it was an issue that quite a few people must be having.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2022, 02:51:24 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Very weird behaviour considering it's not all cars as you say.

guest9814

« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2022, 06:14:34 PM »
This does seem to be software related to me.

After all your tests with unpairing your phone, unplugging any USB devices, the only thing left seems to be to get the dealer to disable telematics as a test.

When you unpair your phone does the TomTom app disappear ?
On my car telematics disabled, but same black screens as sportse  say happens to me sometimes both when I used android auto and apple CarPlay , maybe infotainment schedules reboot after several power ups ?

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2022, 06:23:46 PM »
On my previous Toyota cars I’d say the infotainment only rebooted at most once every 6 months in the years I had them.

It could be a bug that’s causing these reboots on the Jazz, the video I shot of the latest issues is being sent to Honda technical by the dealer so hopefully they can sort the issue.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2022, 11:07:40 AM »
As an update to the update, it's worse since they installed the new software.

I haven't had the connection issue reoccur, but the blank screen that the software update was supposed to fix is much worse.

Previously it might happen once every week or two, now it's nearly every day.

First cold start of the day it hasn't happened, but happens after that randomly but fairly often on the second or third start.

It doesn't matter if a phone has been connected after startup either-

I can start from cold, connect a phone after full startup, drive 50 miles, leave the car for 3 hours and then get the start up delay.

Or I can not connect a phone, drive a few miles and get it 5 minutes later when I restart.

The software update was supposed to address blank screen issues, but hasn't.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2022, 06:39:47 AM »
After having had software updates and hard resets, the problem remains.

I’m currently waiting on a new infotainment control unit to arrive at the dealer and it can then be fitted.

Apparently it fits behind the infotainment screen, so they must have separated them - I believe in the past the screen/computer was one unit.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2022, 08:07:17 AM »
I looked up a while ago problems with AA across other car makes and one test/fix, if it fails to connect is to briefly turn off Bluetooth on your phone.

When BT is turned on again, and the headunit is already active/booted, that has frequently worked.

Tags:

anything