Author Topic: Reading oil level on the dipstick?  (Read 1442 times)

Martin-Devon

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Hybrid
Reading oil level on the dipstick?
« on: January 25, 2022, 09:51:34 AM »
Hi there, I've had my Jazz EX now since September 2021, so far really liking the ownership experience. One thing that I'm struggling with a bit though is reading the engine oil level using the dipstick. Silly really, but the engine oil is so completely clear that I cannot see how far it goes up the marker scale on the dipstick, it's all completely transparent - in most cars I've had the oil is dark and it's very easy to see the level (I had a Golf diesel before, very easy to see oil level) but with the very clear oil in the Jazz I'm having trouble. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Reading oil level on the dipstick?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 10:18:07 AM »
Hi there, I've had my Jazz EX now since September 2021, so far really liking the ownership experience. One thing that I'm struggling with a bit though is reading the engine oil level using the dipstick. Silly really, but the engine oil is so completely clear that I cannot see how far it goes up the marker scale on the dipstick, it's all completely transparent - in most cars I've had the oil is dark and it's very easy to see the level (I had a Golf diesel before, very easy to see oil level) but with the very clear oil in the Jazz I'm having trouble. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Make sure car is on level ground

Use a piece of toilet paper,  first wipe the dipstick ( the level may be false because of splashed oil ) then take a piece of clean paper and 'lay' the end of stick on it - the level will show up on the toilet tissue. I have regularly checked the oil level on all the Honda cars I have had, but never noticed a drop in level.  My first Civic did 190,000 miles before I traded it in, and never used a drop of oil even at that mileage. Always used Castrol oils,  and also in my motorbikes ( I did use Mobil 1 synthetic in early 1980's in my Ford Sierra, but that is because Mobil were the first to market synthetic - I did notice how much quicker the engine turned over when starting in cold weather ).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 10:22:47 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 10:30:10 AM »
With diesels the oil is easy to see as it's so black. Even just after it has been changed. With petrol engine the oil stays much cleaner.  My wifes Peugeot is 11 years old and the oil is still clear. It is changed yearly.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 11:31:32 AM »
I must admit, orange doesn't seem to be the best colour to check the oil level.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 02:52:05 PM »
I had the same problem myself - it took until over 5,000 miles before the oil colour could be seen, as before that it was transparent.

Using some tissue/kitchen roll as advised to check for the wetness is the method I had to use.

At least we have a dipstick, my last car didn't and the computer just guessed how much was there from driving 30 miles after topping up!

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 03:25:32 PM »
I quite agree. At least there is a dipstick.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 05:43:32 PM »
At least we have a dipstick, my last car didn't and the computer just guessed how much was there from driving 30 miles after topping up!
My previous car, a BMW Series One, had no dipstick. I changed the oil and filter myself. I needed to know exactly how much oil to put back in. The car needed a drive before it would let you know if there was enough oil.
Neil Ives

Tags: