Author Topic: What good reasons are there to buy a MK4  (Read 4686 times)

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Re: What good reasons are there to buy a MK4
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 12:52:26 PM »
Clip-on polaroids is my solution for dashboard glare but whether it's a problem for anyone depends on the position of their eyeballs which, in turn, depends on seating position and body size. I found the Mk 2 Jazz bad, the Mk 3 a bit better and the Mk 4 slightly better still.

...My MK2 wasn't a problem at all with glare until I had a new windscreen. Then it was fairly obvious at certain times.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 05:04:06 PM »
Going back to mpg as a reason to buy a mk 4, my Crosstar bought last June, does about 64mpg average in summer and about 55mpg average in winter, over mixed driving conditions.  thats real world numbers folks, no concession to hyper miling.  and I think thats great.  the most I ever got out of a diesel, average, was 51mpg annual average BMW 120d.  that was a much faster car of course, but it was nowhere near as comfortable and spacious as the Jazz Crosstar.   ;D and my hand always stank after filling the damn thing.  more than usual even  :o

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 06:06:11 PM »
With respect to the What Car accolade, I would have mentioned easy to drive, particularly quick response and plenty of torque, rather than the ride quality.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2022, 12:50:40 PM »
Just been reading the latest Which? car guide that just dropped through the letterbox.

Which? have said that the latest Jazz is the first car ever that has seen zero reported problems from it's respondents.

So the Jazz has taken the top spot of all cars for reliability.

I'm still confused by reviews mpg though. I'm currently averaging ~63 under the current wintry conditions but it was nearer to 70 during Sep/Oct before it got cold/dark/wet.

The latest mag reviews I'm reading are only achieving mid 50's!
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2022, 03:16:04 PM »
Depends how you drive. Remember that road testers are testing the car up to its limits and also have no experience of how to drive the Jazz. Generally use a lot more acceleration than you, if only to be able to comment on engine noise “under heavy load”!!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2022, 04:54:06 PM »
Nearly all my driving is on the motorway for long trips - I've found it doesn't matter how gentle you are accelerating, cruising at 70 mph gets me just over 50 in the summer and recently 48 in the cold winter.

Whereas country roads of 40/50mph limits and town driving get me 60-70mpg.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2022, 05:22:21 PM »
Just been reading the latest Which? car guide that just dropped through the letterbox.

Which? have said that the latest Jazz is the first car ever that has seen zero reported problems from it's respondents.

So the Jazz has taken the top spot of all cars for reliability.

I'm still confused by reviews mpg though. I'm currently averaging ~63 under the current wintry conditions but it was nearer to 70 during Sep/Oct before it got cold/dark/wet.

The latest mag reviews I'm reading are only achieving mid 50's!

I think there is a very wide spectrum of mpg figures with this new Jazz. I've only done 2 fill ups - the first was about 54 mpg and the last one just under 49 mpg. I suspect the main difference between you and me is the type of journeys we are doing. I'm in a situation where the ICE is acting as a heater - this translates into fewer spells of pure EV driving. I suspect, come the warmer weather, my figures will improve dramatically.

The "Which" tests are interesting. In the review of the car (not in the Car Guide that we got this week) the testers report a short spell of motoring where they achieved over 90 mpg. Which will also cruise the car on the motorway at 70 mph and that will not show any hybrid at its best because you are lugging a load of extra weight about with the car in engine only mode.

What I notice in my car is the mpg dipping from where it was when I last stopped. A trip to Sainsburys (just under 2 miles) will show something like this:

1) MPG at start - say 50 mpg
2) MPG after a mile or so - say 48 mpg
3) On arrival at Sainsburys back up to 50 mpg

If I make my return journey reasonably quickly and the car doesn't get cold I might get to 51 mpg by the time I get home.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2022, 05:56:42 PM »
Agreed, a short journey profile hurts any car's economy especially from cold starts.  but 50mpg for a 2 mile journey is still very good.  my 2 mile journey to my village shop is hilly, and from cold I get between 36 and 44mpg this time of year.  coming back, with a slightly warm engine, about 46-50mpg.  take the car on a country run for 15 miles, and its back up to 65-70mpg, using heater, aircon etc.  so yes, a huge range of consumption numbers.  BUT I'll still wager thats miles ahead of a standard petrol or diesel, as they too still have to warm up.  for example my golf petrol mild hybrid on the same 2 mile journey to the village shop in winter gets approx 25mpg, whereas its lifetime average is approx 50mpg, as I use it mainly for long motorway trips, where its in its element. 

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2022, 10:33:04 AM »
I part exed my Mk3 for the Mk4 last October. The new car is better in almost every respect - not that the Mk3 was a bad car.
Exactly my sentiments, changed last April, currently 6600 miles on the clock, MPG has dropped slightly, due to Winter conditions, but is still showing 66.8 mpg over that total mileage, so well satisfied.

An update to my previous figures.
Went up to North Lincoinshire, yesterday, a round trip of circa 250 miles, taking in M42/M1/M18/M180 mostly at 70mph where possible. Consumption was 54.0 MPG.
Quite obviously the style of driving (local/motorway) makes a significant difference to the results, but I still consider these results to be  a vast improvement on my previous Jazz cars.
Its strange that EV will kick for short distances, even at 70mph, usually on long downhill slopes.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2022, 01:57:12 PM »
Its strange that EV will kick for short distances, even at 70mph, usually on long downhill slopes.

Why strange? Seems to be normal!
A part of a Polish test announces this:

According to the Honda simulation - in typical city traffic conditions, the distance the car will cover in purely electric mode (EV)at speeds of up to 40 km/h, is 86 percent., and the remaining 14 percent in hybrid mode. At speeds of up to 80 km/h, the EV mode is still more than half the distance (54 percent). Only when driving on non-urban roads and highways, the new Honda Jazz will cover the distances in combustion mode more than 70 percent.
If nothing goes right, go left!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2022, 03:09:24 PM »
If there is charge in the battery and the power needed to keep the car moving is less than the engine can deliver efficiently then the car will switch to EV mode. It's that objective of trying to keep the engine, when it is running, in the most efficient operating zone.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2022, 11:40:29 AM »
It’s fits easily in my garage (first Jazz owner)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2022, 03:17:46 PM »
Loads of good reasons.
 Above all for me is the instant torque and silence of the electric motor.   Sitting at red  traffic lights and the like along side premium german gas guzzlers brings a grin to my face.  Totally silent.  (Unless playing  a Homage to Meat Loaf )  On the green a quick touch of the throttle and the car wafts  briskly away and ahead ,no fuss or mechanical stress , almost silent. Leaving the others waiting for their engines to crank noisily into life.

Of course I am responsible enough to only do it for a few seconds . Enough to leave them red faced at being left standing by a wrinklie in a Jazz  :o but not enough to provoke a duel.  :P
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2022, 04:02:57 PM »
Yes, it is nice and brisk off the lights and catches quite a few out :)
Let's be careful out there !

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2022, 05:25:49 PM »
One of the main reasons I bought a Jazz is that in most situations it is the electric motor providing power to the wheels. The technology is very advanced compared to Polo, Puma etc. And as per previous posts I too appreciate the silent but very swift acceleration from rest. Of course a Tesla Model 3 would be very nice but I don’t have £45K cash or the wish to fund Group 40 insurance. So, the Jazz is a brilliant introduction to electric (ok hybrid) motoring.

Tags:

anything