Author Topic: Do you really switch to 5th gear at speed 30mph?  (Read 3366 times)

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: Do you really switch to 5th gear at speed 30mph?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 11:38:03 AM »
Well, that makes it a bit more challenging!  ;D  I'm sorry I didn't see your first answer to my question.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 11:52:09 AM by TnTkr »

stesjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 1.4ex azure blue
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 03:11:58 PM »
yes indeed the mk2 jazz will happily pull from 30 mph in 5th gear due to its clever variable valve timing and variable cam timing, unlike older honda engines..... :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2021, 03:40:44 PM »
yes indeed the mk2 jazz will happily pull from 30 mph in 5th gear due to its clever variable valve timing and variable cam timing, unlike older honda engines..... :D

The MK1 iDSI 8 valve twin spark engine was much happier at lower revs, and did not have variable valve timing..  The  iVTEC is pants below 2.5 to 3000 revs, admittedly it has a bit more power over 4000,  but on a city car like the Jazz that is wrong.  High gear and lower revs OK on the flat but don't expect much acceleration and put any kind of gradient into the equation and it is time to cross your fingers....  My brother had a 10 year old Honda VFR 750 ( V4 engine 750cc no VTEC ) and was out for a ride with his mate on an almost new VFR800 ( V4 engine 800cc with VTEC ) - my mate complained about the engine stalling when pulling away unless he gave it a bunch of revs, my Bro said, lets swap bikes and see what I think.  After a few miles, when my Bro stalled the 800 more than a few times his mate offered a straight swap of his nearly new 800 for the 750,  my bro said 'thanks, but no thanks'....   The VTEC is fine in the 1.8 Civic, but in smaller engines the low down performance suffers,  Honda seem to have tuned the iVTEC for max MPG,  and it is not happy lower down - added to which the gap between 1st and 2nd gear is too much, pulling away on a hill you have to rev the nuts off before daring to change up to 2nd.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 03:55:01 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzOwner11

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Jazz 1.2S
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2021, 11:58:55 PM »
My 1.2S iVTEC runs quite happily at 30mph but has quite sluggish acceleration if I put my foot down. I usually need to change down to third if I need a quick burst of speed.

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 08:47:40 AM »
The Mk 2 with CVT in "S" mode seems to avoid this situation.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2021, 11:34:55 AM »
But Jocko doesn't have Air con.
Yep, and that's cos' 'air con is for the puny' :). It is quite useful for demisting and the Jazz doesn't half love a bit of mist with all that glass to volume of air ratio...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:46:43 AM by MartinJG »

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2021, 11:44:42 AM »

I like to take it through the revs to keep everything clear on the combustion front but in town I have found it will pull (but no real torque) in 5th down to @ 20MPH on the flat before signs of baulking. Testiment to that little square bore set up that will just keep on turning. I go down our bumpy old road in 1st at idle and it will keep on ticking over where some superminis would probably stall. It's a very flexible unit.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2021, 04:25:38 PM »
Mine hates running in 1st. Okay as long as you don't touch the throttle then it is kangaroo stuff.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2021, 09:40:15 PM »
Mine hates running in 1st. Okay as long as you don't touch the throttle then it is kangaroo stuff.

Yes. Idle is OK but you are right about the kangaroo stuff. In fact, one of my pet gripes about the Jazz is the throttle/clutch action in first and second gear. Just too snatchy if you are not careful so I try to get out of them as soon as possible :).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2021, 09:56:59 AM »

Yes. Idle is OK but you are right about the kangaroo stuff. In fact, one of my pet gripes about the Jazz is the throttle/clutch action in first and second gear. Just too snatchy if you are not careful so I try to get out of them as soon as possible :).

Never noticed this problem on MK1 or 2
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2021, 01:32:02 PM »

Never noticed this problem on MK1 or 2

I wonder whether this might be a clutch issue. I have never had a clutch replacement but I have always had cars from new/fairly low mileage. However, I have had this car from 78,000 so no idea how it was driven by the previous owner. The car has now done 102,000 which is nothing for a modern car. It can be a bit clunky when engaged in first and I do get the clutch judder from start in cold/damp but that usually goes once it has warmed up. I know others have this problem. I did your hand brake on/clutch engage routine a while back and it improved things for a while but it never really went away.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2021, 01:56:05 PM »

I wonder whether this might be a clutch issue. I have never had a clutch replacement but I have always had cars from new/fairly low mileage. However, I have had this car from 78,000 so no idea how it was driven by the previous owner. The car has now done 102,000 which is nothing for a modern car. It can be a bit clunky when engaged in first and I do get the clutch judder from start in cold/damp but that usually goes once it has warmed up. I know others have this problem. I did your hand brake on/clutch engage routine a while back and it improved things for a while but it never really went away.

Over the years I have had clutch judder occasionally on quite a few cars, have successfully cured it by putting handbrake on and lightly slipping clutch for 20 seconds or so ( driving against the handbrake ) - clutch was great after.  And no, before anyone asks,  it does not damage the clutch.  I have never had to have a clutch replaced in any car I have had ( except a sainted Vauxhall Viva that had too many miles on the clock before I got it ), including a Civic that covered 190,000 miles and a Jazz MK1 that covered 130,000....   I think all the slipping does is polish the flywheel face and maybe remove a bit of glaze from friction material...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 01:59:45 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2021, 03:24:09 PM »
My issue is not a clutch problem. It occurs when the clutch is fully engaged and my foot is nowhere near the pedal.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2021, 05:00:04 PM »
My issue is not a clutch problem. It occurs when the clutch is fully engaged and my foot is nowhere near the pedal.

Maybe engine needs an Italian tune after years of pottering around saving fuel  :D

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2021, 06:00:08 PM »

Maybe engine needs an Italian tune after years of pottering around saving fuel  :D

:)....

Tags:

anything