Author Topic: Dash reflection advice needed please  (Read 5218 times)

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
Re: Dash reflection advice needed please
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 09:07:21 PM »
But WHY should we have to do this !!!!!!!

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 11:39:06 PM »
I sent for a Dash Mat from Ebay which cuts dash reflection. needed to use additional sticky pads but fits fine, did cut apperture for headlight sensor a bit bigger to ensure it didn't get false reading. Also protects from sun damage to dash top.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 06:31:31 AM »
Because of large inclined windshield and large too shiny dash top area?
I wish there were anti reflection coating inside the window, similar to spectacles.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2021, 06:33:12 AM »
It’s the one thing that annoys me about the jazz, but it’s something I can live with… does seem to be a bit of a design oversight however.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
Re: Dash reflection advice
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 02:58:40 PM »
I would agree polarising glasses but try to remove the silicone spray that appears to be on your Dash ad use something like ODK Cabin which is superb!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383924061160?hash=item5963a843e8:g:jQIAAOSw1mdgmOPg

In my experience only thing that will make any impact on Jazz regarding reflection in windscreen is a dashboard mat to completely take the shine off plastic,  anything else is not effective ( except polarising glasses, but they have their own disadvantages like making the display on some LCD screens unreadable ) - There is little or no windscreen reflection in my Civic - looks like someone did a 'proper job' on designing  it,  my wifes MK2 Jazz is pretty bad in spite of the Armor All matt finish treatment.

dash mats were very popular in Australia when we were there,
Sorry mate, I don't get it. I use ODK without any problems at all and where I live in Lincs we have the big wide skies with lots of glaring sun.
I get what you say about Australia having lived near Sydney for 10 years but the dash mats were largely to stop the sun wrecking the plastics as it does.
 Each to his own but I'd hate the thought of riding round with a mat covering the dash.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2021, 04:20:59 PM »
Because of large inclined windshield and large too shiny dash top area?
I wish there were anti reflection coating inside the window, similar to spectacles.

The large windscreens and huge dash area are main reason why aircon is now a requirement on cars,  all that black surface absorbing the sun.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2021, 04:10:31 AM »
If only they didn't design in a horizontal dash top but angled it upwards towards the driver so all you could mostly see is the edge.
Let's be careful out there !

Babbington

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2021, 08:04:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the issue I was having in those first few days were, as suspected, due to the valet using some interior polish laced with silicone.

Now that I've spent time with the alcohol infused anti covid wipes and a good cleaning with sugar soap, the car is prone to reflections on the screen from the dash but nothing like on that first day.

It's not something I've encountered before, but really people need to remember not to use the shiny stuff on their dash. It could be truly deadly in a Jazz.

It's now a little annoyance rather than a significant safety factor.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 08:29:54 AM by Babbington »

JimG

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2021, 10:26:39 AM »
I sympathise with you as the modern design of cars mean that in certain circumstances the reflection on the glass from the dashboard makes driving more hazardous because the sun's shadows can easily conceal a potential problems hiding in the shade.
I 1st encountered this with my Mazda 2 Skyactive as the joints in the dash were horrific when the sun came out and that was cured with a dashmat obtained from Australia. I now have a Crosstar and while there are no joints, the reflections do indeed affect the view making it sort of milky. A dashmat from China at £13.50p has sorted that out.
The mats do not move, they do not cover the vents and they also stop the sun shining on the plastic which will crack in time but more importantly stops the oil in the plastic from evaporating and helps keep the screen clean thus making the viewing ahead clearer for longer. While windscreens are raked so severely, I will continue to be as safe as I can be especially as there are more cyclist about who do not wear bright clothing.

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2021, 11:39:06 PM »
Had same problem with 2016 1.3 S CVT. Tried matt dash cleaner - rubbish - tried pieces of black felt.....improved greatly but looked rubbish. Eventually bought a dash mat - exact fit for my year of Jazz. Have had this on and it works fantastically, looks fine, is made so that air bags still work unhindered. Did find I needed to add some sticky pads over and above those supplied.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 10:01:57 AM »
I bought some heavy duty matt black fabric and cut it to suit the dash. No problem since.
Neil Ives

Jon R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 10:20:47 AM »
Hi Babbington.
I bought one for my 2018 Jazz sport, and to be perfectly honest, yes, it does cut out the glare from reflection on the windscreen, but to be honest, I think that you are using a hammer to crack an egg with this. I bought it to protect the dash from breaking up due to strong sunlight/UV with age, but I was probably influenced by seeing many cars from certain areas in the USA with extensive dash material damage due to the climate there. Not really a problem here, as we could only pray for half of the sunshine they get , here in UK!
The cover I got, was same as the one you sent a link to, right hand drive, suitable for Jazz Mk 3, same company and price. Cut outs for windscreen air vents and all other air vents are a bit of a pain to line up properly, and my cover was NOT silicon backed as advertised, it came with Velcro square sticky pads to attach it. I have not used the Velcro to attach it, but just laid it on the dash. It took 6 weeks to arrive from China due to flood losses earlier in the year, so be aware of delay! I would probably just take the advice of other members on this post, and get with the dash cleaner anti-shine or nice new sunglasses, unless you really must have a removable cover. Good luck! :-)

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 05:55:17 AM »
I bought a cover from US and tried it once, but I didn't like how it looks. I think it's too thick to take the shape of the dash nicely. I have been planning to try a simple black terry towel, but didn't got it done last summer. Now there will not be that problem until April or May.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 08:01:38 AM »
I bought a cover from US and tried it once, but I didn't like how it looks. I think it's too thick to take the shape of the dash nicely. I have been planning to try a simple black terry towel, but didn't got it done last summer. Now there will not be that problem until April or May.

Polarising sun glasses are the real answer,  if you wear glasses you can get clip-on ones

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IUJ5AO4/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 08:09:15 AM »

Polarising sun glasses are the real answer,  if you wear glasses you can get clip-on ones

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IUJ5AO4/

Polarizing sunglasses do reduce the reflection, but the dashboard reflection blinds the shadow areas of the road even in less bright days, when sunglasses are not desired. Besides, I don't like to use sunglasses.

Tags: