Author Topic: Honda Jazz perception as an old person's car  (Read 11797 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: Honda Jazz perception as an old person's car
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 05:20:52 PM »
... Bring on the 10yr driving test for all. I'll take mine tomorrow.
Yes, good idea.
Neil Ives

guest4871

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 10:44:42 AM »
... Bring on the 10yr driving test for all. I'll take mine tomorrow.
Yes, good idea.

You would fail the basic driving test with your addiction to your habit of excessive signaling.  :(

Or perhaps you would cheat the test by "biting your tongue"?

DYOR

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 11:36:49 AM »
I would be happy to be re-tested when I'm older, say about 75, let's face it if you're not in control of your car you could kill someone.

I did say to my daughter when I'm older if you think I'm driving dangerously then tell me.

She said don't worry dad............I will !!

Well that's 100% improvement on the average. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that too many people take exception to reasoned observation and age is at the front of the queue. It's invariably some else's fault.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 11:52:12 AM »
I agree with all of the above comments.
What I do find is a lot of younger drivers are very poor at road craft.
Positional driving, use of indicators, swinging to the right to be able to turn left. Poor use of the steering wheel, only using 12 to 9 instead of pushing and pulling the wheel between 12 and 6. All basic stuff, I wonder if it is taught now a days?
Also your comment about the Jazz colour palette. Skyride blue was probably the best MK3 colour. The MK4 crosstar has a similar colour.
The best Jazz colours were definitely the MK1. IMHO.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Well, there is the small matter of the real world, and then there is the virtual perception of it.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 03:42:22 PM »
The big problem with repeat tests at regular intervals is simply the resources required to do it. If you pass your test at, say, 20yrs and then have to retest at 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, then that needs six times as many examiners/test centres as we currently have, possibly more since the number of younger people taking driving tests is reducing.
I'm not sure it would achieve a lot to be honest, the biggest problem with road manners is attitude, and a test won't change that in many people.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 04:14:13 PM »
The big problem with repeat tests at regular intervals is simply the resources required to do it. If you pass your test at, say, 20yrs and then have to retest at 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, then that needs six times as many examiners/test centres as we currently have, possibly more since the number of younger people taking driving tests is reducing.
I'm not sure it would achieve a lot to be honest, the biggest problem with road manners is attitude, and a test won't change that in many people.
Apart from testing for failing driving abilities I think updating knowledge of current rules is important. Also dealing with lazy habits that might have developed;  for instance, not signalling  ;)

Actually, I think the current UK test is too easy. It must be, because many people who drive should not.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:41:11 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 05:33:35 PM »
The highest  risk category of drivers is the male in the 17 -21 age group, and they are the very drivers who are fresh from being trained and instructed in driving  and also recently tested,  the accident figures and insurance premiums are the evidence. The senior driver as an accident-in-waiting is not born out by the statistics.   However in an accident the senior driver is more at risk of injury and fatality,  this is due to their  reduced capacity to withstand the physical trauma of injuries
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 03:25:05 AM by E27006 »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 05:47:21 PM »
The most older age group accidents I read about are those who have just changed to an auto and getting the pedals mixed up.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2021, 06:37:22 PM »
Apart from testing for failing driving abilities I think updating knowledge of current rules is important. Also dealing with lazy habits that might have developed;  for instance, not signalling  ;)

Actually, I think the current UK test is too easy. It must be because many people who drive should not.

May be the reason UK roads are amongst the safest in the world, and Germany's roads more dangerous than ours.....

Embee is right, it is attitudes that are at fault rather than skills, and attitudes are deeply embedded
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:40:13 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 07:18:56 PM »
I'm not saying anything  ;)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 08:04:59 AM »
I think the laziness and parochialism of motoring journalists have a lot to do with perpetuating this perception.

I found a Mk3 Fit hybrid on Autotrader the other day and had to look overseas for reviews and basic BHP and mpg data (impressive). The eye opener was it seems in India and Singapore Honda is treated by journalists with the kind of respect that UK journalists reserve for German made cars.

So they fill out the space with an 'it's a Honda, it's going to be a great car' attitude, rather than filling it with posing the 'everyone thinks Hondas are for geriatrics, has this changed?' question and not answering it. Nice to read a review that didn't include 'of course it's not as good as a Fiesta' either.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Deejay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 GR3 Jazz EX Platinum White
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 09:51:56 AM »
I’ve watched this Jazz review from Singapore and was impressed with the style and content.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2021, 10:15:55 AM »
Has he got something wrong; he says the engine takes over at higher speeds? My understanding is that the engine never drives the wheels directly; it charges the drive battery.
Neil Ives

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »
The only time the engine is connected to the wheels is when cruising at high speed. It’s like having a 6th gear but it’s only on or off and connected by a clutch.

I’ve watched the power flow display on mine - as soon as you accelerate from a cruise the engine disconnects from the wheels and you are back to driving an EV powered by a petrol generator.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2021, 02:12:51 PM »
Has he got something wrong; he says the engine takes over at higher speeds? My understanding is that the engine never drives the wheels directly; it charges the drive battery.
It's called engine drive - see . It's the mode where the engine drives the wheels directly and avoids the losses associated with the generator / motor / power conversion. Under some circumstances in engine drive there can also be power flowing to or from the battery if it helps the overall efficiency.
If you want more details of the mechanical system see .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: