Author Topic: Electricity generation. The pros and the cons.  (Read 29081 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Electricity generation. The pros and the cons.
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2021, 10:41:45 AM »
Well after a few days of furious activity the wind dropping again,  solar is out because of the time of year ( it is useless between Oct and March in UK ) and cloudy weather.  We have coal fired stations running supplying 5% of a fairly low ( for time of year ) 34GW demand... Biomass ( woodchips shipped from USA in oil powered ships ) about 6.5%..  Good old reliable nuclear 17%.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2021, 10:55:10 AM »
As someone who started their career in the industry and fully understand the pros and cons.  +1 for nuclear power.  But preferably UK generated, not French.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2021, 11:23:28 AM »
As someone who started their career in the industry and fully understand the pros and cons.  +1 for nuclear power.  But preferably UK generated, not French.

These "modular" nuclear power stations developed by Rolls Royce look very promising.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2021, 11:41:55 AM »

These "modular" nuclear power stations developed by Rolls Royce look very promising.

No good relying on governments in UK to make sensible decisions,  just like in period before WW2 it was private industry that financed the making weapons despite no money / orders from Government of the day.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 11:44:04 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2021, 11:44:01 AM »

These "modular" nuclear power stations to be developed by Rolls Royce look very promising.
and would you want one in "your back yard".

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2021, 12:00:36 PM »
Cop26 is too late.

We are NOT going to stop climate change, achieve 1.5C rise or anything near that.

Prepare for life with a rising temperature.

(Politicians know this, it's all for show)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2021, 12:01:50 PM »
.... and would you want one in "your back yard".

I'd much rather live next door to one of those than a coal, gas, or woodchip power station that squirts it's effluent over the surrounding countryside!

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2021, 12:08:29 PM »
Cop26 is too late.

We are NOT going to stop climate change, achieve 1.5C rise or anything near that.

Prepare for life with a rising temperature.

(Politicians know this, it's all for show)
Hopefully it's got people thinking about this.
I think more good will come out of the protests than the official talks.
If the politicians see the strength of feeling reflecting in votes they might do something.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2021/nov/13/cop26-live-third-draft-text-expected-as-climate-talks-go-into-overtime

"A scientist’s reaction to the current state of play at Cop26 - the world is now in “damage limitation mode”.

Prof Richard Betts MBE, from the University of Exeter and Met Office Hadley Centre, and director of the technical report for the third UK Climate Change Risk Assessment (CCRA3), said:

We’re now in damage limitation mode. Despite some progress on promises to cut emissions and protect forests, we’re still not yet on track to limit global warming to low levels, so adaptation to current and locked-in climate change is now even more urgent".
Added link and quote.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 12:36:15 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2021, 12:19:18 PM »
I've recently had a look at this.( I had a free 1 month trial of Amazon Prime)
It's well worth a watch.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Age-Stupid-Pete-Postlethwaite/dp/B07NYW1R28

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »
.... and would you want one in "your back yard".

I'd much rather live next door to one of those than a coal, gas, or woodchip power station that squirts it's effluent over the surrounding countryside!

Or a huge lithium battery that could burst ( explode ) into toxic flames at any time.... They have a history of doing just that.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2021, 12:57:46 PM »
I hope that COP26 and accompanying publicity has persuaded a lot of sceptics that global warming is something to worry about.
Neil Ives

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2021, 12:59:34 PM »
On the backyard thing in relation to modular nuclear power stations I think my answer would be yes - bring it on. I rather live near one of those than, say, the Drax power station which burns Canadian wood pellets. It would be like our neighbours wood burning stove on steroids.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2021, 01:06:10 PM »
I hope that COP26 and accompanying publicity has persuaded a lot of sceptics that global warming is something to worry about.

No just a continuation of the normal hype, people only take so much of being bombarded with this stuff 24/7/365 before they turn off.  All the delegates have done  is say what people want to hear and bought themselves another 12 months before they have to meet up and make empty promises again.  Probably won't be the same delegates next time either....  They really need to rename the annual fiasco 'COP-OUT'...

COP26 was just a huge wasteful publicity stunt...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 01:56:39 PM by culzean »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 02:54:30 PM by JimSh »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »
It would be like our neighbours wood burning stove on steroids.
Don't get me started on wood burning stoves, chimineas and all the other new age fashionable crap that is polluting the air where I run. It's horrible running through smoke when you have asthma.

As for having a RR nuclear pod in my back garden, I would much rather that than the incinerator the local scrap dealer intends to put there. I mean - incinerator! Who in their right mind thinks burning stuff is a good idea in this day and age? I'll tell you who. Our damn fool government!

Nuclear for me, until Fusion is ready. Then we can use Bezos' phallic Amazon rockets to deliver all the waste from fission into the sun.

Tags:

anything