Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 770800 times)

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2145 on: April 20, 2021, 12:07:07 PM »
Elon Musk must be proud...

Well if Tesla autopilot needs lane markings to work it would rarely work round by us... and what about heavy rain and snow.   There have been crashes where lines in road disappeared and Teslas have gone into crash barriers while 'looking for the lines'..  Tesla Autopilot seems no better than a fancy cruise control,  the difference is that cruise control works.
It doesn’t necessarily need lane lines, it can deduce drivable surfaces through road edges, path prediction based on surrounding traffic and a few other factors. The difference between Tesla AP and other systems is that the Tesla is allowed to make these educated guesses about what is drivable surface, whereas other manufacturers are more risk averse and their system just triggers a disengage in the absence of clear markings.

Of course sometimes Tesla does guess wrongly. It also has a tendency to center in the road instead of having an affinity for the left edge, which is an issue on wider two-way roads with no central markings.

Spatial awareness in non motorway settings is also lacking - although Autosteer is certified for use away from controlled-access roads as a beta product, in my 6 months with a Model 3, it managed to plough through two solid objects.

So I sent it back on a truck with bits hanging off it, and decided to wait until reliability was a bit better!

Ps. As for ACC, like most ACC on the market, Tesla ACC is basically flawless. The Honda performs just as well with edge cases such as cut ins, merge outs and stationary traffic.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:10:12 PM by TiJazz »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2146 on: April 20, 2021, 02:44:44 PM »
Ps. As for ACC, like most ACC on the market, Tesla ACC is basically flawless. The Honda performs just as well with edge cases such as cut ins, merge outs and stationary traffic.

Massive difference between adaptive cruise control and autonomous control of the vehicle - it really is a matter of life or death.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #2147 on: April 20, 2021, 06:06:12 PM »
Yep - Tesla’s kill their fair share of people. A result of testing safety critical beta software in a live environment.

ACC as a mature tech has saved more lives than it cost in the early days - the same will be true of AP one day.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:08:27 PM by TiJazz »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2148 on: April 20, 2021, 06:37:21 PM »
Yep - Tesla’s kill their fair share of people. A result of testing safety critical beta software in a live environment.

ACC as a mature tech has saved more lives than it cost in the early days - the same will be true of AP one day.

Too many gimmicks in cars,  they just make drivers less attentive - a car is hardly a jet fighter where certain auto functions can take a load off the pilot in a battle environment, driving a car within the speed limit and at a safe distance from vehicle in front is easy-peasy if you are paying attention.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2149 on: April 28, 2021, 02:07:53 PM »
The latest betting on Formula E is which cars will finish the race - Racing drivers with range anxiety is a new one.

extract from an article....

'I didn’t make it down to Valencia, Spain, for the weekend Formula E electric car grand prix. Long trips are more or less out of the question now in my Kona electric car, since Hyundai crippled the range of the battery pack to stop the car from bursting into flames.
Not that I missed much. On the first day five teams were disqualified for having consumed too much energy, three cars came to a stop on the track, and others limped to the finish as best they could. Formula E superstar Jean-Éric Vergne completed the last lap at an a average speed of just under 20 mph. Slower than my horse. On Sunday, the Grande Finale, most of those who had finally qualified ran out of battery charge without finishing. Jean-Éric Vergne even went as far as to blame the long stretches of straight road on the circuit, saying that electric vehicles simply weren't cut out for this sort of acceleration: 'I'm not sure that we should have gone to Valencia for racing because it doesn't look good.'
Organisers nevertheless proclaimed the event a great success.

Formula E is supposed to shine a spotlight on electric motoring as governments everywhere are encouraging motorists to abandon petrol and diesel for the joys of electrons. And this it appears to have done. A spotlight albeit unwittingly revealing. Formula E’s Covid-delayed 2021 season appears thus far to have been a farce from start to finish.'

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2150 on: April 28, 2021, 02:19:19 PM »
The same thing happens in F1 if they don't manage their fuel correctly. Mind you, Formula E is the most boring motor sport ever invented.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #2151 on: April 28, 2021, 07:37:58 PM »
It’s different in person, they just do an awful job of televising it.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2152 on: April 29, 2021, 07:28:06 AM »
they just do an awful job of televising it.
Same with the WRC. I like rallying, but sadly the coverage on network TV is unwatchable. Too much time dedicated to graphics and interviews, with a few seconds of cars in the middle. 

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #2153 on: April 29, 2021, 07:37:38 AM »
Same for extreme e. They never completely explained how it works, plus the BBC didn't have the rights to show the final which was a let down.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2154 on: April 29, 2021, 10:38:14 AM »
Same for extreme e. ...
Was that the one in the desert? I watched a bit, thinking it might be good. All you could see was one car and a huge plume of dust, hidden inside which were a couple of other cars who had zero visibility and hence no possibility of competing. Something of a farce, back to the drawing board (CAD screen) for that one.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2155 on: April 29, 2021, 10:55:47 AM »
The same thing happens in F1 if they don't manage their fuel correctly. Mind you, Formula E is the most boring motor sport ever invented.

It's just Like F1..

But without the noise.

So you can get to sleep properly when you watch it. 8)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2156 on: April 29, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
f1 has real tracks, not back lanes round some city centre. I saw all the Extreme E including the final on BBC. Premise is good. Just no one considered that racing in sand would create dust. Rest of season could be good.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #2157 on: April 29, 2021, 12:09:13 PM »
Formula E don’t have big enough batteries for real tracks - that, and their top speed is much lower so it’d look super dull.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2158 on: April 29, 2021, 02:39:37 PM »
I am not talking about f1 tracks, but tracks like Knockhill, Brands Hatch, etc, which they use for Touring Cars would be much better than the Scalextric tracks they use at present.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2159 on: April 30, 2021, 06:57:34 PM »
MGs new concept sports car.

Tags: