Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 770772 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2025 on: March 16, 2021, 01:05:43 PM »
This is something I 100% agree with. Total wrong start knee jerk response, driven by big agriculture and governments.

Do you really think that "climate change is all smoke and mirrors"?

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2026 on: March 16, 2021, 01:19:30 PM »
This is something I 100% agree with. Total wrong start knee jerk response, driven by big agriculture and governments.

Do you really think that "climate change is all smoke and mirrors"?

No. Sorry. Missed that bit. I was referring to the bio fuels. I believe climate change is real and happening now.

I drive a hybrid car, which is a start but a nod in the right direction. I just think (and I explained in a longer post earlier today) that the jump to batteries has meant we have also jumped to recharging technologies which are not and may never be fit for purpose. And I worry that we are building a whole recharging infrastructure which might be made irrelevant by a better method of distributing electrical charge.

EDIT: Typo. Changed 'work' to 'worry'.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:29:56 PM by richardfrost »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #2027 on: March 16, 2021, 01:34:55 PM »
Steering us back to electric cars,

I drive a hybrid car, which is a start but a nod in the right direction. I just think (and I explained in a longer post earlier today) that the jump to batteries has meant we have also jumped to recharging technologies which are not and may never be fit for purpose. And I work that we are building a whole recharging infrastructure which might be made irrelevant by a better method of distributing electrical charge.

I think that's right, we should be wary of investing heavily into a system which may be rendered obsolete by future developments in energy storage. It's like buying fuel in cans before roadside pumps became the norm.

It's one of the reasons I currently tend to favour home charging. Whilst it limits your daily range, it's unlikely to be rendered obsolete.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #2028 on: March 16, 2021, 01:48:55 PM »
Whilst it limits your daily range, it's unlikely to be rendered obsolete.

And here's the rub. The reason I drive a hybrid and not a full on BEV. There are a number of reasons why I won't consider the jump to full on battery driven vehicles just yet, despite being a climate change believer. Daily range is not the issue for me.

It's the once or twice a month situation where I need to do journeys which would be giving me 'range anxiety' with currently affordable electric only vehicles. And the occasional impulse decision to go to Whitby for the day because it turned out nice again Mrs. I could get there, but could I find somewhere practical and available to recharge so I can drive home again? Public transport is simply a non starter for that kind of journey.

And then there's the 240 mile journey I need to make in September to my holiday booking in Pembrokeshire. Where do I charge there for the week I am there? Again, public transport might get me most of the way but would be impractical for a family holiday whilst there.

So it is about a combination of charging availability, charging rate, affordable on board range, cars available for short term hire on short notice, self driving, self delivering. Integrated public transport journeys. Get me to Swansea then supply me with a locally hired BEV.

There a whole boatload of technologies, business practices, legislation and infrastructure that are all emerging at once, making it a very volatile and scary time to switch from a known and reliable fuel to something else.

EDIT: for clarity.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:53:10 PM by richardfrost »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2029 on: March 16, 2021, 03:21:55 PM »
I am going for the MG5 just as soon as circumstances allow.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #2030 on: March 16, 2021, 03:32:25 PM »
It's the once or twice a month situation where I need to do journeys which would be giving me 'range anxiety' with currently affordable electric only vehicles. And the occasional impulse decision to go to Whitby for the day because it turned out nice again Mrs. I could get there, but could I find somewhere practical and available to recharge so I can drive home again? Public transport is simply a non starter for that kind of journey.

And then there's the 240 mile journey I need to make in September to my holiday booking in Pembrokeshire. Where do I charge there for the week I am there? Again, public transport might get me most of the way but would be impractical for a family holiday whilst there.

I absolutely agree. Whilst long journeys can certainly be undertaken in an electric car with a bit of planning, it is short of being completely practical away from major routes, where to be fair, a pretty substantial charging network is developing.

I can't imagine doing a trip to Orkney etc. in anything other than a ICE vehicle at the moment - I never have to stop to fill up, just swap drivers. Yes, charging is available en route, but having to stop 2 or 3 times to refuel, each time for 30 minutes (or more, depending upon the charger type) is just too inconvenient, and then the range anxiety can't be much fun when you're trying to judge the best point to recharge to get the most from each stop.

That said, we run two cars, and the Jazz takes care of all the local running about. It almost never does more than 50-60 miles per day for the vast majority of the time. I can see an electric car being perfect if you only need something for short-medium distances, charged at home from e7 electricity or solar/wind/powerwall. However, if you regularly travel long distances, you would be need to be dedicated to the cause to put up with the current drawbacks.

There a whole boatload of technologies, business practices, legislation and infrastructure that are all emerging at once, making it a very volatile and scary time to switch from a known and reliable fuel to something else.

Everything is changing, and personally I would struggle to commit any serious outlay on a new vehicle - I look no more than a few years ahead at the moment. The diesel I have now will have saved me enough in fuel and road tax, over the car it replaced, to have paid for its purchase price in about 10-12,000 miles. It will owe me nothing really.

One thing is for sure, electric vehicles are the future, in one form or another.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #2031 on: March 16, 2021, 03:37:07 PM »
I am going for the MG5 just as soon as circumstances allow.

I don't blame you, they're a nice enough car. I like the ZS too, and that sort of range would be fine for 99% of the driving we do.

Something smaller and cheaper would be appealing to us as a second car, I'm looking forward to seeing the small electric MG when it arrives. If I can make the fuel savings pay for the car, I would be interested.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2032 on: March 16, 2021, 03:45:31 PM »
I am on an MG5 forum, and all the active safety systems it doesn't have are the things the guys on here keep complaining about, such as Lane Keeping assistance. Lots of the guys on the forum have them as company cars, and when they compare them to the cars they have replaced, they are actually quite impressed.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #2033 on: March 16, 2021, 03:55:54 PM »
That said, we run two cars,...
We just run the one car (since I think my son won't be handing back the Jazz now) so it has to cover most of the bases. It's pretty good too. The only reason I am considering changing it is that the kids are gone, my two bigger dogs are now sadly gone so it's just the two of us and a little pooch rattling around in a family car.

I am on an MG5 forum, and all the active safety systems it doesn't have are the things the guys on here keep complaining about, such as Lane Keeping assistance.
That is so amusing. My car has all of those systems and I just let them do their thing but if my next car didn't have them, I would neither be bothered, nor would I do a little dance of joy. They are nice to haves but mostly about marketing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 03:58:34 PM by richardfrost »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #2034 on: March 16, 2021, 04:13:45 PM »
I am on an MG5 forum, and all the active safety systems it doesn't have are the things the guys on here keep complaining about, such as Lane Keeping assistance. Lots of the guys on the forum have them as company cars, and when they compare them to the cars they have replaced, they are actually quite impressed.

The restyled front end looks much smarter on the facelift... but when that comes, I can see some pre-registered existing shape bargains to be had.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2035 on: March 16, 2021, 04:22:12 PM »
The MG5 guys reckon it will be two years before we see the new shape here, going by past experience of MG.

It has just been confirmed for October 2021. !!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 04:23:52 PM by Jocko »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #2036 on: March 16, 2021, 04:29:15 PM »
The MG5 guys reckon it will be two years before we see the new shape here, going by past experience of MG.

It has just been confirmed for October 2021. !!!

Yes, that's what I saw earlier. Looks rather nice.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2037 on: March 17, 2021, 09:58:21 AM »
It would appear that the October 2021 date is for LHD mainland Europe (the MG5 is currently not available in Europe, one of the reasons it has not been submitted for Euro NCAP testing). We are not expecting the RHD variant to be available here until October 2022.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #2038 on: March 17, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »
That looks great. Personally though, I need something more upright for my bad back, greater ground clearance for the roads and tracks near me and, ideally, four wheel drive, for the same reasons. I was hoping the Crosstar would have a 4WD option but I can see that is not to be. Perhaps the next HRV might have it, or the Toyota Yaris Cross maybe. Otherwise, my choices are quite limited or I forgo 4WD.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2039 on: March 17, 2021, 11:09:45 AM »

Tags: